Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The way it works in California in case there are any parallels:

Passing the DMV's written test for $32 will earn you your permit. The permit allows you to drive a motorcycle for 1 year anywhere except: on freeways, at night, or with passengers.

Passing the DMV's skills test (driving test) will earn you your full M license.

Taking the 3-day safety course (1 classroom day, 2 riding days) is about $150 if you are 20 or younger, $250 if you are 21 or older. Passing the safety course bypasses the DMV's skills test. You will still need to pass the written permit test to ultimately get your license, but that's something you should probably do first and foremost because it's cheap, terribly easy, and allows you to legally practice on the street.

The benefits of the safety course here:
    - obviously, safety information and best practices for riding which may save your life... /preach.
    - completion bypasses the notoriously shitty skills test (which is NOT tailored to different types of bikes)
    - completion will allow some (few) insurance companies will offer you a reduced rate

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    The way it works in California in case there are any parallels:

Passing the DMV's written test for $32 will earn you your permit. The permit allows you to drive a motorcycle for 1 year anywhere except: on freeways, at night, or with passengers.

Passing the DMV's skills test (driving test) will earn you your full M license.

Taking the 3-day safety course (1 classroom day, 2 riding days) is about $150 if you are 20 or younger, $250 if you are 21 or older. Passing the safety course bypasses the DMV's skills test. You will still need to pass the written permit test to ultimately get your license, but that's something you should probably do first and foremost because it's cheap, terribly easy, and allows you to legally practice on the street.

The benefits of the safety course here:
    - obviously, safety information and best practices for riding which may save your life... /preach.
    - completion bypasses the notoriously shitty skills test (which is NOT tailored to different types of bikes)
    - completion will allow some (few) insurance companies will offer you a reduced rate
    Pretty sure you need your permit before you take the 3 day class.

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Pretty sure you need your permit before you take the 3 day class.
    Some quick googling indicates it's different state by state.

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    I just don't get the freeway restriction at all. That's basically the safest possible roadway, and also the easiest one to manage. You could have no freakin clue how to ride correctly and you'd be perfectly fine on the interstate 99% of the time.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

California doesn't require a motorcycle permit before the course since none of the riding takes place on public roads. They only need some form of DMV identification which can be an ID, driver license, permits, etc.

And yeah, I don't get the freeway thing either. I would feel safer walking down the freeway than being anywhere else in this city (San Francisco) outside of a car.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

ct restrictions are the same, but the permit / vision tests are 40 bucks, then a 15 dollar permit fee when you pass. 200 dollar mcsf and then you can go to the dmv and get your M endorsement for free

also permit in ct only good for 60 days, at which point you can renew it for 15 bucks for 60 more days. at the end of that you can't renew it again until you get your test done and get your endorsement is what i've been told

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

Did I mention you don't even need an endorsement to ride a moto in Alabama. Just the normal drivers license at 16 is all you need.

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

Any recommendations for a good tank bag? Trying to add some more luggage without going the whole side hard cases and top box route. I have a small tail bag currently and obviously can use a backpack.

Been looking at the sw motech and givi stuff.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
    Any recommendations for a good tank bag? Trying to add some more luggage without going the whole side hard cases and top box route. I have a small tail bag currently and obviously can use a backpack.

Been looking at the sw motech and givi stuff.
    If you care about the paint on the tank, don't get one with magnets in it.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Been using my Givi tank lock bag for a few months now. Mounting the tank hard took 2minutes. Unscrew tank screw, put on mount. Put bag on mount, done.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/017...grande.jpg?968

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachme...9_size2-1-.jpg

Also comes with a weather shield and straps as a precaution (never had to use them).

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    I would urge you to get used first; seen too many guys buy new, just to dump it the week of.
    This guy is right, try not to waste your money!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

So I'm just waiting on that guy to get the title from the dmv from when he purchased the bike from my boss before he can sell it to me. Looks like I will be getting the bike in about a week or two. I have some more pictures at home to post, at work atm.

Since yall were on the topic of tank bags and stuff does anyone have any experience with gps mounts? Basically I'll be using the bike my vehicle to get back and forth to work with during the week and to do onsite appointments as well. I have to do a fair amount of driving for work to places that I have never been before and just moved here so I don't really know the city that well. I am definitely going to want a gps mount. Just wondering what type of mount is the best, I just want one that doesn't use a suction cup because I'm worried about it flying off from the vibration. Do they make gps mounts that hook onto the tank like that bag mount?

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Some tank bags can have a smartphones/tablet display show on top, but IMO, it would be better to get a dedicated GPS with a solid arm and mount. I tried with my tank bag to use my phone as a GPS but it was pretty awkward. A couple who rode BMWs with dedicated GPS and mount let me fiddle around with theirs and it was just better. Something like this:

http://www.gpscity.com/g/gps/l/7/ramb174ga26.jpg

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

I have a ram X-grip mount that mounts onto the steering stem nut. I just use my phone for GPS. Of course that wouldn't work for you if your cell phone sucks.

http://www.rammount.com/Gallery/ipho...3/Default.aspx

A lot of the tank bags have GPS mounts on them or little bag attachments for a GPS. I wouldn't use a suction cup at all, most of them mount on the handlebars with a clamp

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

If you live in an APT, good luck. Mine was stolen last week.

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

Damn. That's why I got an apartment with a garage. If I didn't have a secure storage area I wouldn't have a bike I don't believe.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

we do have a garage here or I wouldnt even consider getting a bike. our friggen car stereo was stolen last week while the car was sitting in the driveway behind the house so definitely wouldnt take any chances w the bike

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Didnt want to start a new thread for just a few questions so figured id just nerco bump this. Bought my first bike few weeks ago and noticed that two bolts that hold the front farring to the bike are missing. Not a huge deal just kinda annoying since its loose. Any idea what these bolts are called or where I can get some replacement ones?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Lowes/Home Depot? The fairing probably has more than the two missing ones. Remove one of the other ones and bring it in and find something similar. Or at least get the thread measurements and order replacements online if they don't have anything similar.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Lowes/Home Depot? The fairing probably has more than the two missing ones. Remove one of the other ones and bring it in and find something similar. Or at least get the thread measurements and order replacements online if they don't have anything similar.
    Bolts are pretty much bolts. Zeb's got the right of it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Sounds like a plan thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4