+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help on First Motorcycle purchase.

So, what should I get?

Little more information:

I'll be taking this course soon which waives the driving portion of the license test. I still have to take the written, though.

I'm about 5'6'' and 125lbs. So, I'm thinking I'd really like the Ninja 300. It's low enough so I can plant my feet easily.

Or I could go with the Honda CBR250R for a little less CCs and a lot less money.

I'm being pulled in two directions because the boyfriend suggests I go with a used cycle for a first purchase.

But others are recommending a new one.

There are ups and downs to both, obviously. Any BGer's have bikes with any input?

Thanks

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Airenn View Post
    So, what should I get?

Little more information:

I'll be taking this course soon which waives the driving portion of the license test. I still have to take the written, though.

I'm about 5'6'' and 125lbs. So, I'm thinking I'd really like the Ninja 300. It's low enough so I can plant my feet easily.

Or I could go with the Honda CBR250R for a little less CCs and a lot less money.

I'm being pulled in two directions because the boyfriend suggests I go with a used cycle for a first purchase.

But others are recommending a new one.

There are ups and downs to both, obviously. Any BGer's have bikes with any input?

Thanks
    Buying new or used is a matter of personal preference. Dealers tend to offer a lot of extras like rider training, free gear, warranty, etc. Private sellers mean you will get more bike for your money. Generally a new bike will lose 30% of it's value as soon as you drive it off the lot. So if you plan to sell or trade the bike later and money is an issue, consider buying used so you can get more out of the bike when you do sell.

I can't help much with street bikes as I prefer riding cruisers. The biggest consideration is the height of the bike. Also consider riding position. Getting the wrong bike can be hell on your back.

A few tips for general riding:

People are retarded and blind. Assume they can't see you at all times and never trap yourself between cars or against a guard rail or anything else that impedes an escape route when the idiot next to you decides he wants to change lanes without notice.

Know your bike's fuel range......walking sucks.

Get a comfortable helmet that is slightly snug. Not something that will give you a headache, but it can't flop around either. Having your helmet bounce around when you get buffeted by the wind sucks. Not to mention it is unsafe.

Something you will learn in the rider training, but look where you intend to go. Your bike will turn in the direction you are looking for the most part. It's just part of the natural instincts that happen when riding. Do not look at any obstacle you are trying to avoid. You will more than likely hit that obstacle if you do that.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Enygma Xii
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Most will start out with a used bike as there is a 95% chance you will drop the bike a few times causing minor superficial dmg.

Buy used > ride for a year > sell and upgrade is the general route most take for beginners.

Crackodactyl
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Get something shitty. You're either going to lay it down or wreck it. I don't know anyone that owns or has owned a motorcycle that hasn't layed it down, and a lot more lie about it later when they do.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Not to be rude, but you're really small so I would start on a dirt bike first and foremost. Even something laughable like a 250 is gonna throw your little ass, again no offense just tryna make sure you don't 86 yourself on a bike that's way too big for you. Safety gear is good, don't get a shitty 100 dollar helmet, you get what you pay for in those things and no one wants brain damage.

Also, Hondas a much better, the CBR series is legit as fuck...I remember my 1000 came with a slipper clutch, I'm sure the smaller models do as well, that alone is saving you big bucks as most bikes don't come with them to begin with. Ask the dealer about those.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Asai View Post
    Get something shitty. You're either going to lay it down or wreck it. I don't know anyone that owns or has owned a motorcycle that hasn't layed it down, and a lot more lie about it later when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by AidenCarby View Post
    Not to be rude, but you're really small so I would start on a dirt bike first and foremost. Even something laughable like a 250 is gonna throw your little ass, again no offense just tryna make sure you don't 86 yourself on a bike that's way too big for you. Safety gear is good, don't get a shitty 100 dollar helmet, you get what you pay for in those things and no one wants brain damage.

Also, Hondas a much better, the CBR series is legit as fuck...I remember my 1000 came with a slipper clutch, I'm sure the smaller models do as well, that alone is saving you big bucks as most bikes don't come with them to begin with. Ask the dealer about those.

yup. take classes and dont get a bike that you cannot fix yourself. my friend has a 1970 something CBR and absolutely loves it. everyone wants a freaking harley or a Kawasaki ER-6n and pretend they're reliving an Akira moment, but im bigger than you and dont even need a 500 to get by. if you're buying a used bike, make sure you know how much tough roads it's seen. Im just going to cheap it out and buy a used one myself for school. 20 bucks a gas a month is a blessing, son. and im definitely shooting for a CBR

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

I would urge you to get used first; seen too many guys buy new, just to dump it the week of.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    I would urge you to get used first; seen too many guys buy new, just to dump it the week of.
    Seconding this. Pretty much everyone puts their bike down at some point or another. I've been riding for years and I still buy used, most bikes there really isn't anything wrong with. A lot of people sell them cause they get something new, don't ride enough, or just aren't into it anymore, and their bikes are in great condition usually with extras.

I appreciate all the replies so far.

I'm now leaning towards used because as many have said -- There's always the change of just plain dropping it or laying it down due to being new at this. As much as I'd love a shiny new bike right now, I'd rather really go into this safer and realistic. I'd be pissed if I got a new one and dropped it asap. (The boyfriend got a pretty new bike as his first Ninja 650 and he's dropped it a couple of times. No major damage but even the scrapes is a sadpanda.)

Also, yes, I am fairly small. The girl at the dealership, while not only really hot, was also a good 4 inches taller than me with a little more weight. She had both planted on the 300 and had a good control over it. I, not so much.

the main reasons I am going into this is for fuel efficiency and cheaper in the long run. So, it's not something I am doing to be flashy or showy with. Again, even though I'd love a shiny 250 or 300, I mostly want the gas mileage and to be safe.

Edit: One of the reasons I wanted to go with new, however, was the payment plan the dealer offered. I can literally get everything I need and put it all towards the payment plan. Fitted helmet, jacket, shoes, gloves, backpack, jeans. Obviously, that's another grand or so, but I can add it to the payment plan easily, which would help me out. I can afford a decent plan, but not all upfront, if that makes sense.

Second edit: If I get the loan through the bank, I get a lower interest rate if I buy new as well. Paying more, but lower interest over time.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Biking is ultra fun but at the same time you have to be cautious, it's not only up to your skill as a rider but shitty roads don't help. I took a pretty nasty spill on one of my bikes because construction workers didn't clean up any of the gravel they left behind, this of course back in California. A jacket can be your best friend, don't go cheap on your leathers, I'd have lost so much skin if not for that fucking thing.

Again though, I highly recommend you get the bf to take your dirt biking a couple times. 250 looks small but even something that little will fucking kick right from underneath you.

Can dirtbikes be legally driven on the freeways? I did not know, until recently when I was looking at scooters at the dealership, that some are not freeway legal because of how low the CC's are.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Doubtful but in a parking lot or something. Just to get a handle of riding something like that, the position you ride in is extremely awkward at first.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Can dirtbikes be legally driven on the freeways? I did not know, until recently when I was looking at scooters at the dealership, that some are not freeway legal because of how low the CC's are.
    To legally ride a bike on a freeway you need working lights/turn signals and it has to be registered of course. You can buy light kits to make dirt bikes road legal.

Ok, gotcha -- I thought you meant buy a dirtbike first. Also, what I meant was that a motorcycle has to be at least 125cc~150cc to ride on freeways.

Onto plan B...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I've seen women much smaller than yourself outside my apartments with 250s. There's actually three of them sitting right there and one girl looks to be about 5'2" 100 lbs. But, yeah, dirt bikes are going to be a LOT easier to handle and get used to.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Ok, gotcha -- I thought you meant buy a dirtbike first. Also, what I meant was that a motorcycle has to be at least 125cc~150cc to ride on freeways.
    Just think it would be a shitty way to go out is all, rather spend the 150-250 on a cheap dirt bike you can spill and shit and get the hang of it, than to kill yourself on a real bike just because it looks pretty.

Finally -- When than and then makes a difference! (Sorry, Aiden, poking fun at ya!)

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

idk what youre talkin about <.<

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

I'm also 5'6 and ~128lbs and have had no problem riding an EX500 and now a current SFV650. Haven't ridden others, but judging from what I've read about the Ninja 250s, they should make for a great first bike. And you can find a decent used one pretty much anywhere. The CBRs are a pretty solid choice according to a buddy.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Do not get a new bike. Period. Your first bike should always be a beater. You don't know how to take care of the bike yet. Everyone always lays down their first ride. It's inevitable. Don't skimp on helmets. If you buy a shitty 50 dollar helmet from Kmart expect shitty protection and very little comfort. As to bike size, meh, it is what it is. My wife's first bike was a 650. It's all in what you're comfortable with. Search the forums for some of the other bike threads we've had recently. There's a wealth of knowledge in them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast