+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

NCASE M1: the perfect Mini-ITX PC case

Hopefully this is allowed here ... if not, please let me know and I'll remove this post.

There's a small contingent of enthusiast designers working with case manufacturer Lian-Li to produce a computer case of their own design. The main thread can be found here, on HardOCP's HardForum: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1717132

Long story made short, the case is named NCASE M1 and is easily the best Mini-ITX case I've seen yet. They have a kickstarter going, trying to raise the necessary funds to develop a prototype. That kickstarter is located here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nc...-mini-itx-case

Please keep in mind, I'm in no way affiliated with this group, I'd just like to see the case come to fruition and am therefore spreading the word on this project.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

consider my pants fully tightened

also hardocp is possibly the most awesome tech website, Ive been going there for about a decade now

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

That's pretty sick. I've been wanting to rebuild my media server for a while now. This looks like an excellent case for that purpose.

I don't care, make something up!
    BG Level

I'm not trying to derail but on the topic of mini-itx cases CaseLabs is also designing one right now as well: http://www.overclock.net/t/1346755/w...-mini-itx-case

Have you ever heard of Fractal? They've been doing the ITX/mATX thing for a while now, pretty well I would say personally. Most of their designs are aimed at people wanting to create their own NAS rather than buy a Drobo or etc.

Fractal Design ( link )

Old Merits
    BG Level

They did release the Node 304 which looks pretty nice.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Where the M1 wins over the Node 304 is that it supports a slim slot-load DVD drive, full-length video cards, and water cooling. The Node 304 is definitely nice though, especially for a pure media server.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    Where the M1 wins over the Node 304 is that it supports a slim slot-load DVD drive, full-length video cards, and water cooling. The Node 304 is definitely nice though, especially for a pure media server.
    Yeah, they're not built for the same thing. I should have quoted xopher so it was clear who I was talking to; in his case for a media server I wouldn't use an M1. It can only support a couple drives and if you look at their pictures the drives are all over the case - not the best ideal when trying to figure out cable routing. Then again, it wasn't really meant for having many drives, I'd dare say. The M1 was designed to be a gaming case, much like the BitFenix Prodigy ( link ).

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Very true, different case different purpose. The Node 304 is an awesome media server case for sure.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kryssan View Post
    Yeah, they're not built for the same thing. I should have quoted xopher so it was clear who I was talking to; in his case for a media server I wouldn't use an M1. It can only support a couple drives and if you look at their pictures the drives are all over the case - not the best ideal when trying to figure out cable routing. Then again, it wasn't really meant for having many drives, I'd dare say. The M1 was designed to be a gaming case, much like the BitFenix Prodigy ( link ).
    Hmm yeah you're right about the drives. Coincidentally though, I'm ordering the orange bitfenix prodigy for my girlfriend's PC.

BTW reached its goal, I donated myself also.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah, reached their goal of $3k in phase 1 in something like 5-6 days. The case has gotten a ton of media coverage, at least within the tech circles.

There is a phase 2 kickstarter planned. I'm not sure of the specifics, but it's pretty much a sure thing that this case is going to make it to market. Good stuff.

*edit* Holy shit, they're at almost $5500 raised as of now, 2/19/13. Maybe they won't even need a phase 2.

*edit2* Oh, I see why. Someone donated $2k, jesus christ.

Leader of the Brain Eating Space Monkeys
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I would love to buy one of these but I know id get fucked over on the import charges

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Scizor View Post
    I would love to buy one of these but I know id get fucked over on the import charges
    Where are you from? I know the designers were researching ways to get the case overseas, it might be worth commenting in that thread.

Leader of the Brain Eating Space Monkeys
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

UK. I'm probably wrong but I ordered a decal for my PS3 which came from the states (cost £18 shipping included) and got landed with a £13 customs charge almost doubling the total cost.

It would be cool if a company like Maingear or Origin PC picked up this case like with the prodigy.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Bumping this because the NCASE M1 is reaching prototype stage right now. Lian Li has provided the first prototype pic to the case's creators:

The Indiegogo campaign is coming to an end and, as of right now, they've collected almost $9k when their original goal was $3k. Pretty awesome stuff.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

To steal some thunder..
    Anyone know of a really small and lightweight case that can fit an ATX, and not stupid expensive?
    Wanting to convert my old beast into a small form factor without any cost to it.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The Lian-Li PC-A55 may be the smallest you can really go for a normal ATX case. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Lian-Li-PC-A55...ds=Lian+Li+A55

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

I was looking for the Kick ass trailer and found this lol, I love this case, such a toss up between it and the M1.

http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/45405...ern-gaming-pc/