Closed Thread
Page 22 of 214 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 ... LastLast
    Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackrose View Post
    Guys, there's nicer ways to say that Jefe has never worked a day in a corporate job...
    Though it wouldn't be as funny.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Wow this thread... lol

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackrose View Post
    Guys, there's nicer ways to say that Jefe has never worked a day in a corporate job...
    That did not offend me, and if he was given the strike because of it then remove it. However, if 'beaner' is a banned word, then by all means... I've seen it other times w/o any repercussions.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Just stop while you're behind before you hit Leroy status.
    Shit just got real.

Also; LEAVE METEORA ALONE!!

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

This thread needs some Peter Griffin.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

So I'm a bit late, but if I'm reading that "two xboxs" thing correctly:

Also, you'd have to be an idiot kind of "sony fan" if you think it would be a good thing if Microsoft flopped because of this or anything else. The reason both these companies create (arguably) great content is because they are competing with each other. If Xbox flopped, Sony's content would turn into shit and they wouldn't bother creating anything good. If you're a sony fan, you should want Xbox to do well, and vice versa.

Eh, I'd put pressure more on the studios than the consolemakers themselves when it comes to quality games. As is, the cross-platform titles probably outnumber exclusives. And true, each have their specific IPs, but I'd say Sony's and MS' are less numerable than Nintendo's here, and even those were largely established via the GameBoy and earlier forever ago. In the end, even if "one console" you'd still have these same devs competing with each other to make the better game. And personally, there's a part of me that hopes one day we are condensed to one home and one handheld standard if only to avoid shelling out hundreds on multiple systems, finding a game is better on one unit than another, and even put an end to the blind console fanboy shit. But not only do we have the 3DS, Wii-U, Vita, PS4, and 720 here or looming, there's also stuff like the Steambox and whatever Nvidia had hinted at in the recent past as yet more console clutter. Perhaps we could anticipate one company like Nintendo going strictly into software in the future like Sega did in the next gen or two, but 10-15 years from now is a long way away.

But yeah, pissed as people are about the 'always on' implication, I want to see more people getting pissed off about predatory DLC practices. I feel like there's some merit to an old vid from a guy who said we should never pre-order stuff, either, in part due to how cozy the industry is with related media and blacking out reviews on shit products until it's too late. Potentially killing the used market is also another hassle.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

all this hurt butt over a console, jeez you would think you were all 10 or something.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    all this hurt butt over a console, jeez you would think you were all 10 or something.
    Casual.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

the add on shit would piss off the older population more then the younger ones

1)its more money we have the shell out
    2)add on shit hardly ever looks good
    3)kids will ask for this ugly shit all the time.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Also, someone explain to me why new CPU means no backwards compatibility with 360/PS3 discs? If I upgrade my PC CPU, I can go back and play my older PC games fine?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

different instructions/code for different cpu architectures. basically all mainstream PCs use the same architecture for the past 30 years (yes even x386s all the way up to a core i7, the same with AMD) - someone will come in to give a bunch of examples of things that stray from that rule but really that's the general idea. there are a bunch of situations in the PC world where you hit a similar situation like console gens changing CPU types though - you can't run 16-bit code on 64-bit OS, older and newer mac hardware can't run the same programs, etc. of course due to the open nature of the home PC there are ways around most of that, but not for consoles. that's why a Wii isn't actually running an NES game the same way an NES did, it's running an emulator coded for the Wii that knows how to run the NES game. the PS3s that had BC did the same thing through hardware emulation, and I believe even the X360 emulated the Xbox games it could run (maybe not though, that's probably a bad example, as they used similar hardware).

someone feel free to correct all of my errors.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

You're pretty much correct re: architecture. The initial PS3s still had PS2 hardware to handle BC. The second revision removed the hardware and went with software compatibility as a cost saving measure (note: software compatibility is not 100%). The following revision, they removed BC entirely. Now that Sony is moving away from Cell, PS3 BC would have to be software unless they plan on putting the hardware in again (obviously they are not).

XB360 did have limited BC as well. Can't comment much on why they can't do it yet since all that is out there are devbox specs, but I have a feeling it has to do with Microsoft not wanting to build HD-DVD into their optical drives (HD-DVD lost last generation to BluRay).

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Coming from someone who pretended to be a female for months (or was it years) to get virtual money for virtual items is laughable at best. Keep trying to be cool on the internet.

I agree it wouldn't be good for xbox to completely fall off because competition is a good thing. Since I'm more of a casual gamer all of these extra things they want me to buy do not interest me.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by dejet View Post
    the add on shit would piss off the older population more then the younger ones.
    It's better to have an option to play 360 games than to have none at all once the actual current 360s are gone from the market.

It's a one-off addon to play legacy titles. Not something like the Sega CD/32X to play certain games.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

shots fired

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zane Farus
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Coming from someone who pretended to be a female for months (or was it years) to get virtual money for virtual items is laughable at best. Keep trying to be cool on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    It's better to have an option to play 360 games than to have none at all once the actual current 360s are gone from the market.

It's a one-off addon to play legacy titles. Not something like the Sega CD/32X to play certain games.
    To me it's similar to how Sony told people to buy a PS2 if they wanted to play PS2 games when they took backwards compatibility out of PS3.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Didn't BC with X360 mean that they had individual software emulators for every game? It has been ages since I put a xbox disc in my X360, but I thought there was a file that you'd have to download any time you to tried to use original discs on the 360; I'd assumed they were the emulators written for the games.

Another Islam Thread
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jakson View Post
    Didn't BC with X360 mean that they had individual software emulators for every game? It has been ages since I put a xbox disc in my X360, but I thought there was a file that you'd have to download any time you to tried to use original discs on the 360; I'd assumed they were the emulators written for the games.
    not sure what the update had, but yes, there is a seperate "update" for every game thats compatible

Closed Thread
Page 22 of 214 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 ... LastLast