Closed Thread
Page 1 of 307 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Windower 4 - Discussion and Support

Hello folks.

Today, we're opening up Windower 4.0 to a public beta. Some of you may remember the old v4 project, which at the time was a complete rewrite of Windower and all the plugins. That project has been long since abandoned; Windower 4.0 is based on the current 3.4 code base. What this means to you is that all of the plugins you currently use will work fine as-is, no needing to learn new systems. Please note that this is a beta, there may be issues. If anything breaks, let us know so we can get it fixed up asap.

Launcher/Core/Plugins
    So far with Windower, updating existing plugins or installing new plugins involved checking our forums periodically for updates or new releases. As a result, new plugins didn't get much exposure, and bugfixes were never picked up by users. This changes with the new Windower launcher. The launcher will update all of your plugins and the Windower hook automatically, making sure you're using the latest and greatest version of everything we have available. You'll also notice that the launcher has a Plugins menu. This lists all of the available Windower plugins, along with what they do. One click will automatically download and set up the plugins and any necessary files (settings, resources, etc). Launcher also uses google analytics to give us an idea of plugin usage, so we know where to concentrate our efforts. Don't worry, no personal identifying information is collected. An opt-out option is available in the installer to disable analytics collection.

The Windower core and plugins have also had some changes. You'll notice that Recast is no longer available, this has been replaced by the Timers plugin, which supports a graphical mode in addition to the old text-based recast mode. Buff duration support is currently in-progress, but the current version is available to download as a replacement for Recast.

Core has some changes as well. The new //video command allows your to record video directly from Windower. We've also fixed a few outstanding issues that affected text boxes and rendering, particularly on ATI cards.

IPC/WindowerHelper
    For the developer types around, we have a few new additions that may be of interest to you. First off is that Windower now natively supports IPC. This means that plugins and addons(more on that later) can communicate with other Windower instances natively, without requiring a third-party program to act as mediator. This is relatively new and is only used by the Send addon right now, but we expect to see a lot of interesting functionality come from this.

Next up is some changes to how Windower communicates with third-party programs. There is a new WindowerHelper DLL(http://windower.net/windowerhelper-4.0.zip) that you will need to use any existing programs with Windower. As a result of this change, a lot of long-standing issues with third-party programs have been resolved and are no longer applicable, such as the 8-argument maximum to commands, as well as the inability to pick up commands fired in rapid succession.

Reporting Issues
    We're using github to track issues and request improvements. The public issue tracker can be found here: https://github.com/Windower/Issues/issues

The next set of changes is mostly applicable to the developer types, so if that's not your thing, feel free to skip to the end for the download link and try out Windower 4.0

Lua/Addon API
    Finally, we have Lua. Since the projects inception, Windower has always been a closed off environment for developers. That is no longer the case. Lua is now integrated into Windower, allowing anyone to write scripts and addons. Scripts act like the .txt files currently run via //exec, with the exception that they can use logic and flow control in their execution. For example, you can now write a script that will check your party for the lowest health target and issue a cure command.

Addons are Lua scripts that are loaded and stay loaded indefinitely (or until unloaded by the user). They respond to commands or events, and indeed use the same callbacks that plugins do for handling these things. What this means is that anyone can now write an addon to do basically anything you want. Had an idea for a plugin but weren't able to do anything about it? Write an addon for it!

Why Lua and not just expose the C++ plugin API you ask? Well, two main reasons. First off, C++ isn't the friendliest language to deal with. Working with FFXI tends to be pretty heavy on string manipulation, which is one area where C++ unceremoniously fails. Additionally, the barrier to entry for Lua is much lower than a relatively low-level language like C++. Second, having addons in Lua eliminates the chance for a developer to disappear and leave a project un-maintained. Since everything is Lua code, anyone can come in and pick up development when the original developer leaves.

Lua addons and scripts are managed through our Lua github project: https://github.com/Windower/Lua
    Our Lua Wiki has plenty of information to get you started on addon development: http://dev.windower.net/wiki/doku.php?id=dev:lua:start

Enough should be already exposed in the API to develop quite a few things, but I'm adding more every day. If there's some functionality missing that you need, be sure to ask so I can get to it right away. The Lua project has a public issues tracker that can be used for submitting enhancement requests or bugs. Note that addons get their own directory, so it doesn't end up the cluttered mess that the plugins folder has become. Since this is a public GitHub project, anyone can contribute, just fork the repository, make your changes, and submit a pull request.

Additionally, Lua addons will be featured in the launcher in a similar method to plugins. This is, however, still in progress at the burnent, so for the time being you'll need to download addons manually.

Getting Started
    Download Windower 4.0 here: http://windower.net/Windower4Setup.exe

Remember to visit the Plugins menu in the new launcher and install/active any plugins you want to use.

----- FROM HERE ON, THIS IS YUGL'S EDIT TO THE ORIGINAL POST -----
    FAQ
    Q: How do I ask set background resolution?
    A: Windower Folder > Settings.xml file. Look for <supersampling> and set the value accordingly. This value multiplies with the BG resolution you set. For instance, if you use 500x600 and set supersampling to 0.5, you'll use BG resolution 250x300 instead.

Q: How do I unload every plugin?
    A: Type //unloadall within chat

Q: How do I unload a specific plugin?
    A: Type //unload NameOfPluginHere

Q: How do I load, unload, and reload an addon?
    A: Type //lua l/u/r NameOfAddonHere

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Does windower 4 add test server support?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ihm Kasukabe
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Yes :D

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Hooray! Thanks for your work, Windower Team~

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I have been playing with the alpha (closed beta?) for a few weeks now and it has been pretty fun. There are a lot of little things that make version Windower 4.0 pretty great. The native video recording, auto-updating, and test server access (along with Lua scripting) really seal the deal.

First invited, last in the zone.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

But does it make Julianne fries?

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I'm a little confused by the logic behind not exposing the developer API. The C++ String object handles strings perfectly fine, and anyone who would just pick up an abandoned Lua project is likely capable of doing the same for a C++ plugin.

Why not support both? Let people work in whichever environment they're comfortable in?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Why not support both?
    And there's your answer. One thing is easier to support than two. Also the multitude of reasons I listed in the original post.

Edit:
    And native code runs a risk of crashing the parent process.
    And there's nothing forcing you to release the source to C++ code; we've had a hell of a problem with our own developers forgetting to commit changes then disappearing that we're only recently recovered from.
    And end users can tweak lua without installing an IDE, finding the source etc.

Let's just say there's a lot of reasons.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

XI-Util and Windower 4 don't appear to like each other. Trying to point to the new windower.exe in XI-Util results in an error message telling me to select the older executables (launcer.exe or launcher_gui.exe)

I like my chat logs not merging across different instances.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by |Heretic| View Post
    XI-Util and Windower 4 don't appear to like each other. Trying to point to the new windower.exe in XI-Util results in an error message telling me to select the older executables (launcer.exe or launcher_gui.exe)

I like my chat logs not merging across different instances.
    Ick, totally forgot about xi-util.

This machine isn't set up to build it right now, I'll try and get an update out late tonight or early tomorrow.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

To say that I'm excited about this is an understatement. First, there was Ashita; now, there's also Windower v4. Excellent.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Is there a help page for the new StatusTimer? Specifically, removing the graphic.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    To say that I'm excited about this is an understatement. First, there was Ashita; now, there's also Windower v4. Excellent.
    Pchan has really killed this word for me. I absolutely cannot read this in a sentence and not interpret it as "Ashitia".

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

sorry gotta ask a few stupid questions.

1. whats the new // comand for expanded macro scripts

2. how do i make the windowed mode smaller than what the default is right now? it takes up the whole screen currently at 1920 x 1080

thanks in advance

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ihm Kasukabe
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post
    sorry gotta ask a few stupid questions.

1. whats the new // comand for expanded macro scripts

2. how do i make the windowed mode smaller than what the default is right now? it takes up the whole screen currently at 1920 x 1080

thanks in advance
    The // commands are still as is, they haven't changed at all, are you receiving a problem with them?

To edit your resolution, on the launcher click the edit button (The pencil), the settings are there.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Can we stop some plugins from auto updating if we want? All the new features are great; still I remember a time when a custom .hook(or was it outdated) was needed for a chunk of Vista users.

Same can be said for plugins as well. After an update a need for a rollback had happened a few times to keep it working for others.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Does this fix the multibox chatlog issues?

I REALLY like the IPC stuff, though.

The one thing I really liked about Ashita was being able to do my coding in C# through bootstrap. Heck, I'd actually prefer writing in Ruby. I guess Lua isn't the worst thing in the world but I'm personally not that excited about it. I would still rather do C++ because at least it would be useful in the future and worth my time.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ihm Kasukabe
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by dejet View Post
    Can we stop some plugins from auto updating if we want? All the new features are great; still I remember a time when a custom .hook(or was it outdated) was needed for a chunk of Vista users.

Same can be said for plugins as well. After an update a need for a rollback had happened a few times to keep it working for others.
    No, but assuming people are posting bug reports then we should be able to fix problems. There should never be a need to use old hooks or plugins really.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Does this fix the multibox chatlog issues?
    Not yet, but we are looking into sandboxing I believe.

First invited, last in the zone.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Two questions, both about Timers.

When using the graphical display, is there a way to get icons for the JAs like there is for the spells? I see that there's no "ja" folder of them like there is for spells but I don't know where I'd get them / how I'd number them.

Is there a way to go back to the old style recast, with just a name and recast, no icon or sliding bar?

Edit: Never mind, you can fix it by editing Timers.xml. Someone might want to change the bit that says "controls the settings for the WeatherMon plugin" because it doesn't >_>

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

OK, generally like this a lot. Just used sleepga in Abyssea and the recast (timers) plugin displayed multiple lines of sleep (running all the way down the screen and over the chat box). Took a screenshot but the plugins were hidden so can't usefully show unfortunately. Was only sleeping 3-4 mobs so wasn't one per.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 307 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast