+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Rune Fencer Findings     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by DragonCloud64 View Post
    And to keep on topic, I also saw that RUN has no healing ability outside of regen... why didn't they give RUN some cures since they wanted it to be on par with PLD?
    At one point I think it was planned for them to have curing magic, through some dat mining it was discovered that (at least at one point pre-release) that they had cure spells up to cure V or something like that. I guess at last minute they decided it would hurt PLD's too much for RUN to also have cures in addition to Regen IV, Stoneskin, etc

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Extended parry parse on lv0 mobs:

Spoiler: show

Again, 7 mandies on me, one o the side, so I only could hit (and thus parry) 6.

3284 hits, 6/7 of which came from parryable mandragoras, so 2815 (effective) hits.

1442 parries.

So, sample size is 4257, and thus parry rate is 33.87% +- 1.42% with a confidence rate of 95%.

Meanwhile, I did parse parry rate on Yashe mandragoras while skilling up GS and parry. This means parry was not capped to A+ at the beginning of the parse, but rather was at C-, Warrior's cap. I expect this to have zero impact on the results, as an A+ parry skill will still be at a floored 5% parry rate if things have not changed from the past, but it's better to warn about it.

The data, not as extensive, is as follows:

Spoiler: show

1666 hits, from which I have to discount 21 due to being hit while asleep during Dream flower, so 1645 effective hits.

337 parries.

That's a sample size of 1982, giving a parry rate of 17.00% +- 1.65% with a confidence rate of 95%.

So, RUN's parry rate is increased from the base by at least 12%, probably 13%. That seems to indicate an initial Inquartata bonus of 10% extra parry rate, and then 2 or 3 trait upgrades of 1% each.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Taim Meich View Post
    So, RUN's parry rate is increased from the base by at least 12%, probably 13%. That's seems to indicate an initial Inquartata bonus of 10% extra parry rate, and then 2 or 3 trait upgrades of 1% each.
    I'm expecting a merit ability that intensifies this effect.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I think they need to change focus for RUN so that it isn't the primary tank but augments the roles of the current tanks (dds). Have them being able to provide defensive capabilities full time to the other DD instead of part time and that will allow them a slot and provide support damage. Hell I would even like to see /dnc become the norm.

imagine run giving haste samba to the two DD, aoe magic def buff, and backup oh shit tank scenarios. If they can augment not only the defensive capabilities but offensive they can stay in.

DD
    DD
    RUN
    BRD
    COR (or SCH if you rotate cor and brd)
    WHM

is what I would like to see the new tank set up be.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

May as well just put a real dancer in there for better debuffs, better buffs, and the ability to drop an AoE waltz if necessary

And for dangerous things, defensive BRD/SMN measures will be better

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    May as well just put a real dancer in there for better debuffs, better buffs, and the ability to drop an AoE waltz if necessary

And for dangerous things, defensive BRD/SMN measures will be better
    Agreed. I would NOT like Rune Fencer as a semi-support with no other real purpose. Either make it a real tank or make it a moderate tier DD with some support abilities, but I don't want to see Rune Fencer as a support class or semi-support.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

That would only provide reactionary support instead of actual defense. You can gain the same effect by even out of party cures.

though you are right the set up I mentioned really only useful for mobs with huge aoe magic to moves

brd/smn you are restricted by recast time and lowering of overall dmg. That's assuming run can do more dmg than smn

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Unless we're talking about temporary invulnerability, actual defense is rarely suggestible over reactionary support with a dash of offensive flair in this game

And again, if we're talking unmanageable levels of AoE magic, we're talking SMN and BRD, not RUN

Being kind of a not-so-AoE tank would be a neat role they could expand on, but that isn't anywhere near what RUN is capable of based on their JA structure

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Well I'm only assuming if run was able to provide aoe defense that it would be at substantial level (talking like old school fire resist sets on tiamat)

but ya current ja structure doesn't make it feasible, that's why I'm hoping merits/gear change or enhance duration

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I'm hoping for an adjustment a la initial>eventual SCH tbh. I think they had the right idea, but they were entirely too conservative with timers/durations/etc.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well part of the problem with run tanking is real tanking has been long dead and there are better things to use as already suggested. It's why other tank jobs are also not so desirable usually. It's more of a symptom of a larger problem that it sounds like they are working on. I think if we were doing oldschool tanking run as is would work quiet well but oldschool tanking is fail as long as we have the ability to throw real DDson hard content with impunity

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

@ Taim Meich

I'm confused. If the parry floor is 5% and you're tests show a base parry rate of 5% before RUN buffs then what exactly does parry skill do if it doesn't increase the parry skill rate past the base of 5%? Did I miss something?

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Huntyadown View Post
    @ Taim Meich

I'm confused. If the parry floor is 5% and you're tests show a base parry rate of 5% before RUN buffs then what exactly does parry skill do if it doesn't increase the parry skill rate past the base of 5%? Did I miss something?
    No, you didn't. Parry (along with guard) has always been a very broken skill, in the sense that even with capped A+ skill, activation rate is floored against EM+ enemies, and only starts to grow on shit mobs. They acknowledged this and, instead of giving RUN more skill, since they knew that would do nothing, increased the base by a fixed amount. The A+ skill is purely cosmetical: RUN could have a D in parry, and still have 17-18% parry rate on Adoulin mobs thanks to the trait.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Taim Meich View Post
    No, you didn't. Parry (along with guard) has always been a very broken skill, in the sense that even with capped A+ skill, activation rate is floored against EM+ enemies, and only starts to grow on shit mobs. They acknowledged this and, instead of giving RUN more skill, since they knew that would do nothing, increased the base by a fixed amount. The A+ skill is purely cosmetical: RUN could have a D in parry, and still have 17-18% parry rate on Adoulin mobs thanks to the trait.
    Right on, thanks for the quick reply. So... in essence if I'm sitting at around 280 parry... there's absolutely no reason for me to go out and actively attempt to level it? Aside from increasing my parry rate against things that already can't kill me anyways?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Well part of the problem with run tanking is real tanking has been long dead and there are better things to use as already suggested. It's why other tank jobs are also not so desirable usually. It's more of a symptom of a larger problem that it sounds like they are working on. I think if we were doing oldschool tanking run as is would work quiet well but oldschool tanking is fail as long as we have the ability to throw real DDson hard content with impunity
    this is only one part of the problem, the other big problem of RUN atm is that they are outclassed by a relic in their respectiv department of mitgating magic dmg. As long as Aegis goes over the cap RUN will never be able to touch an Aegis PLD when it comes to magic defense. There is 2 solutions to this: nerf Aegis or make RUN a very potent buffer for the whole PT to avoid magic-dmg while being able to tank.
    the other problem is the physical defense part of RUN. being on thaumas stuff and such is great, but if you are facing something that wrecks a pld into pieces you arent gonna be able to do fuck as paper-armor tank with little to no defense against physical attacks.

RUN seems to be for me atm a old day WAR tank with better hate hold capabilitys and better ways to mitgate magic damage, but way less offensiv tools.

GEO on the other hand was very uniquly designed and will find its spot in alliances with it debuffs that reward the whole alliance and buffs for its PTs. It just lacks 2-3 minor things to make it more effectiv in lowman situations (where it is a bit less then decent). But considering none of unique AF/Relic/Empys are out and no merit IIs, no unique bells etc, this job has definitly potential even for lowman PTs. It is combined with SCH (Regen V + Indi-Regen) the best mobile PT healing combination (provided your melees dont scatter in 4 different directions).

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Huntyadown View Post
    Right on, thanks for the quick reply. So... in essence if I'm sitting at around 280 parry... there's absolutely no reason for me to go out and actively attempt to level it? Aside from increasing my parry rate against things that already can't kill me anyways?
    Pretty much, yeah. But anyway, since the last update, you'll cap it eventually just by fighting mobs, it's not ultra-hard to cap like before. Funny, the most difficult to cap skills (parry and guard) were also the ones that offered absolutely no advantage when capped.

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    this is only one part of the problem, the other big problem of RUN atm is that they are outclassed by a relic in their respectiv department of mitgating magic dmg. As long as Aegis goes over the cap RUN will never be able to touch an Aegis PLD when it comes to magic defense. There is 2 solutions to this: nerf Aegis or make RUN a very potent buffer for the whole PT to avoid magic-dmg while being able to tank.
    So far, you're right. If RUN can get the timer of Valiance down to 4 mins, or even better, being able to fulltime it, and the Mythic gives a 4th rune, a normal RUN will be able to provide the party with an additional to Shell V 45% mitigation for one element, reducing the overall damage to at least 40% of the full damage (counting only Shell V and Valiance). The Mythic one will be able to provide even better defense, up to 60% mitigation, plus a general performance increase associated with the extra rune.

BTW, an AoE Pflug to accompany Valiance would be really welcome: fulltime status protection for us, and 3 minutes of status protection to the party (although quasi-immunity is only achieved with the corresponding bar-element and bar-status, in my experience).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    the other problem is the physical defense part of RUN. being on thaumas stuff and such is great, but if you are facing something that wrecks a pld into pieces you arent gonna be able to do fuck as paper-armor tank with little to no defense against physical attacks.
    Well first part is yes and no. Without accounting for resist yeah run will only get dmg to -72.5 to one element vs aegis 87.5%. And SE has put out they definitely don't want to make a job automatically shit on relic tanking. But you got runes for a reason you start forcing resists (which I think SE is trying to get us to do again) and you will lower dmg much more than aegis with a couple of nifty perks for random occasions (that really need their timers lowered lol). But yeah physically they kinda fail and I think that was kinda the point so it would be a fairly niche roll.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Does RUN's Tenacity job trait or enhanced magic resistance decrease the duration of debuffs such as paralyze and slow?

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Based on the log messages, it seems to function as all Resist traits. That is, as far as I know, it's an outright chance to resist not a sort of partial resist thing.

Just a bit bored with Reive...
    Then I went to play with Lunge Formula, base on BGwiki.

1) 440 Skill, with MAB 6 x 3 Runes = 1749dmg (As non-resisted, regular dmg)
    2) 445 Skill, with MAB 0 x 3 Runes = 1668dmg (Since, I recalled that those Headband with Skill+5, trying a comparison with MAB.)
    3) 467 Skill, with MAB 0 x 3 Runes = 1751dmg (i.e. You need to push +26 to +27 Skill level to make it even with MAB+6)

Then I came out with my Ideal Setup - MAB+46 set with 445 Skill level , I can get approx. 2436dmg every 3 minutes (as non-crit, non-resisted, regular.)
    And I believed, if you do Gambit before you make a 3 Runes Lunge, dmg should be boost for another 25% to 50%
    (by eyeballing during my fights)

Next thing, I am going to look at Mag Crit Hit rate+ for any slot free...

If there is merit that reduce Lunge recast, I will definitely hit it ^.^