1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 2 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 57 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 1 hours, 2 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 8 hours, 57 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How would that work? lol. Maybe you would get distance or something.

Bottom line is there will be addons for PC that will not exist on PS3 and some of them will be make/break for end game success.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

a DBM plugin alone would substantially change gameplay between the two platforms enough to make PS3 seem like a waste of time.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

It's a good thing I'm too old to care about that stuff anymore anyway.

Too old or too Y

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

you're never too old to stop being gimp!

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    you're never too old to stop being gimp!
    It's the reverse. I was all min/max when I was young. Now it's just about trying to get w/e shit I want done before the baby wakes up.

Playin dat RL Card on BG boards.. iunno how to feel about that anymore... :sits back:

They vaguely mentioned in an interview that it wouldn't be impossible for them to implement some of the more popular plugins onto the base game for use by both PS3/PC players. But, uh yeah, PC Plugin master race > Consoles.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

MMOs just don't belong on consoles. The Man keeps trying to push that agenda and it has yet to actually work well as an overall model.

New Odin
    BG Level

MMOs just don't belong on consoles. The Man keeps trying to push that agenda and it has yet to actually work well as an overall model.
    Oh man, I remember people kept saying this about FPS's.

Hell, the downsides of playing FPS on a console haven't even gone anywhere. Perhaps the true breakthrough will only come in the next gen, but either way if FPS's made the transition then so will MMO's.

I think Yoshi has stated many times that they will implement most popular PC add-ons on PS3.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

FPS on consoles are never going to be fully integrated with PC servers (ever again) because the community and developers both know there are serious disadvantages to playing on consoles for those players as opposed to their PC counterparts. You can talk all day about this genre belonging or not belonging but the reality is that kids playing FPS on consoles are in a "no child left behind program". Too bad the classrooms are separated and will continue to be. Let's not pretend like they belong together. It was forced to fit for the $$$ not the gameplay.

It's the same with the current generation of MMOs. When we see forward movement in the genre as a whole (10 skills only, cleaner UIs, accessible buttons, etc) then it may change, but as it stands, it won't. Designing the MMO for the console is the only way to make this happen (Defiance, Dust, FFXI), and since MMOs were born on PCs, that movement is still slow and subtle (thankfully).

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    I think Yoshi has stated many times that they will implement most popular PC add-ons on PS3.
    The more I think about it, the more I remember this.

New Odin
    BG Level

When we see forward movement in the genre as a whole (10 skills only, cleaner UIs, accessible buttons, etc) then it may change, but as it stands, it won't.
    How much further do they honestly need to go past TERA's and ARR's console UI? You can already access plenty of skills immediately.

It may not happen with ARR, or the current gen, but we are getting very close.

I honestly think that the increased revenue will help the genre as a whole. "The potential" of the PC platform is quite useless if companies can't get enough revenue to justify developing games that harness all that power.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

The genre as a body needs to move in that direction, was my point. It's not good enough for a handful of studios to do it (especially when their games are doing poorly). Everyone needs to get on board that train and I don't see that happening right this second. Furthermore there is little evidence to suggest MMO developers are going to embrace the console any time soon.

New Odin
    BG Level

Yeah I guess developers like SE have a good reason to embrace consoles while devs without a known console IP don't so much.

PS4 should do the trick. RAM won't be a problem at least.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    maybe. They are allowing plugins for 14 this time around. I wonder if there is going to be any for the ps3 (via dlc)
    Considering you can't just put w/e you want on the PSN store it is extremely extremely unlikely. It would need to be officially endorsed by SE and they would need to release it under their name. Even if Yoshi-P has stated a desire to do so, putting up DLC on the PSN store that isn't an expansion is prolly outside of his control

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Lets be honest here. The vast majority of the money made in XI was because of the console side, not the PC side. The only reason we are even getting ARR is because of the console side. If ARR lasts as long as XI has (11 years and counting) it will be because of the console side of things. XIV will be another niche game that will be lucky to reach and sustain a 1million+ user base. Is that a bad thing? Hell no. XI was an active, vibrant game for years with 500-750k subscribers. With at least half or more of those players playing on the PS2. The real test of things is not the PS3 however. It is if there will be a working version on the PS4. The console that will be released within the first 6 months of ARR's relaunch. I do not see a lot of international families keeping the ps3 around just to play ARR.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    It would need to be officially endorsed by SE and they would need to release it under their name.
    p. sure that's exactly what they were planning.

They said they'd recreate the addons.

Kinda what bliz does with some things. (aka raid frames)

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by niwaar View Post
    XI was an active, vibrant game for years with 500-750k subscribers. With at least half or more of those players playing on the PS2.
    Are there actual numbers out there for this somewhere? Most people I encountered were shocked that I wasn't using Windower, without even taking into account that I could've been a PS2 user.

I always assumed the PS2 userbase was miniscule.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

That probably has to do with the fact that Japan's players were the ones using the PS2.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Are there actual numbers out there for this somewhere? Most people I encountered were shocked that I wasn't using Windower, without even taking into account that I could've been a PS2 user.

I always assumed the PS2 userbase was miniscule.
    Japan.