1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 31 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 14 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 19 hours, 31 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    p. sure that's exactly what they were planning.

They said they'd recreate the addons.

Kinda what bliz does with some things. (aka raid frames)
    Well the first step in this is to release the information required to develop in their addon language. I personally had no idea that they were going to allow player created addon's this time around. I am assuming that the Beta has no support for these in P2. Do we know if they will be supported in P3?

Its interesting to note that a game like Wildstar has addon support as well, and it took less than 24 hours for a beta tester to create the first addon for that game without any documentation of the game's UI scripting language.

I for one, hope that its sooner rather than later, if for no other reason to allow me to not have the gargantuan spaces between my action bars/buttons. And maybe numerical CD timers on buttons like were there in 1.0. From all the screenshots I have seen they are quite annoyingly centered and quite frankly look like they can be in the way.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by niwaar View Post
    Well the first step in this is to release the information required to develop in their addon language. I personally had no idea that they were going to allow player created addon's this time around. I am assuming that the Beta has no support for these in P2. Do we know if they will be supported in P3?
    afaik it wasn't going to be active on release. But the addons are going to be flash-based.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

As Ksandra said, they will be added post-release when Yoshi-P releases the dev kit to the playerbase. I believe they're using Scaleform for their UI which many devs say is fairly easy to develop with.

Someone make that damage meters already. $_$

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

afaik it wasn't going to be active on release. But the addons are going to be flash-based.
    Pretty sure it was supposed to be LUA, not Flash.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by Cutriss View Post
    Pretty sure it was supposed to be LUA, not Flash.
    The last UI was LUA and they were trying to move away from that. As I said above, this one is Scaleform which is Flash.

I might be wrong but LUA offers some really good possibilities that flash may not.

Regardless, devkit isn't the only way to make addons.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    The last UI was LUA and they were trying to move away from that. As I said above, this one is Scaleform which is Flash.
    This doesn't really make sense.

Scaleform can be used to create UI elements when it's interacting with a game engine that supports it. Scaleform itself is not a language. You don't make functions with Scaleform, you provide a graphical user interface through which you may interact with functions.

You need to actually be able to program objects and their functions, unless what you're talking about is only going to let you create pretty new windows through which you'll use existing functionality, which would be ass. It would basically result in user-created skins and other such things, not actually new add-ons that provide functionality which the game doesn't already have.

EDIT: On the other hand, Lua is a scripting language. Scaleform and Lua could be used together if FFXIV were engineered for this sort of marriage. Lua is meant to be simple when compared to heavy duty programming languages, but does still have enough freedom to execute major functions, such as sending requests directly to the command line with "os.execute." I've used it a variety of times myself when I've needed to do something like kill a task in the midst of an automated test.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zettai Ryouiki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Like a lot of other people, I highly suggest going the PC route. If gaming from your couch is something you enjoy (I do too!), you can always hook your TV up to your PC and use it as a display. Hook up a USB gamepad to your PC or buy a cheap laptop/reading tray to hold your KB + Mouse and you have the best of both worlds.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Good to know that it wont be until after release. I honestly believe we need some real time with the default UI before we go changing it. Although I would love to be able to change a few things already.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    Someone make that damage meters already. $_$
    Oh god no. Just no. I know there was damage meters for XI but the game was never about any one person's DPS. It was more about seeing if you could hold your own or beat your friend in overall damage during a merit party or something (at least for me). I have seen the results of DPS meters, it ruins MMOs for players like me. Its one of the things that I enjoyed about games like Tera and GW2. They were about doing the right thing and the right time and not merely about damage numbers. Damage meters tend to whittle down player value to damage and not skill or intelligence.

Damage meters tend to whittle down player value to damage and not skill or intelligence.
    lolwut?

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Well, you need some skill... and intelligence to do damage, you don't exactly do damage dead or bad rotation or shooting a boss that is immune to damage(like readying some massive aoe or some phase change etc) or not hitting an add that can kill you/healer/party etc.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I know there was damage meters for XI but the game was never about any one person's DPS. It was more about seeing if you could hold your own or beat your friend in overall damage during a merit party or something (at least for me). I have seen the results of DPS meters, it ruins MMOs for players like me. Its one of the things that I enjoyed about games like Tera and GW2. They were about doing the right thing and the right time and not merely about damage numbers. Damage meters tend to whittle down player value to damage and not skill or intelligence.
    Allakhazam, is that you?

I don't know why I forgot who that was. leaky gw2.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

the pc grafic is always better.

There was a video of the differences in the ffxiv youtube channel.

You also saw, that the PS3 version were kind of laggy and slow.

So i would never get it on PS3.
    If its because of comfort, you can also play on pc with a gamepad

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I used to play FFXI on ps2 never again though too many limitations no add ons no vent watered down graphics. I also like to play in comfort so i compromised with a gaming laptop. Though money wise your way better of with a desktop, you can get a decent-good gaming desktop for 800+. a laptop is very convenient however you can get the same performance I get on my laptop for less than half of it's cost. I say save up for a desktop but still shell out 60 bucks for the ps3 version so you'll have something to play in the mean time instead of rushing to build an inferior pc.

I don't see why people can't order themselves a nice simple gaming rig, Bluetooth Adapter, and HDMI cable. Hook that shit up to your favorite TV, and sit the fk back on your couch/bed w/e with your wireless controller. hook up some wireless headset with push to talk set to your controller, and you'll be on fkin easy streak. Seeing as PC will have access to both control schemes, I can't see why. PS3 is a dying console.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    I don't see why people can't order themselves a nice simple gaming rig, Bluetooth Adapter, and HDMI cable. Hook that shit up to your favorite TV, and sit the fk back on your couch/bed w/e with your wireless controller. hook up some wireless headset with push to talk set to your controller, and you'll be on fkin easy streak. Seeing as PC will have access to both control schemes, I can't see why. PS3 is a dying console.
    Cost.
    If you already have a PS3... all you need to buy is the game.
    (As an aside, PS3 probably also has access to both control schemes)

iirc they mentioned PS3 will not have access to PC controller scheme. As for if they might offer it down the line... :shrug:

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    iirc they mentioned PS3 will not have access to PC controller scheme.
    This is correct. It's also been "confirmed" recently on the official site.

Quote Originally Posted by http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/product/
    Keyboard Support: Optional (only supports text entry)

Banned.

BG Level

"Only supports text entry" What does that mean? Can't use the keypad even for moving? Pick up and drop my controller everytime I need to text?

<--(◎▂◎)--<<