1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 20 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 3 hours, 27 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 13 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 20 hours, 27 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Worth it to play on PS3 or should I save up and upgrade PC?

Pretty much what the title asks. I planned to save up and upgrade my PC but thought the Ps3 route may not be too bad. I can play on PS3 while I save up as well for even better and newer PC technology I guess.

How will the Ps3 graphics and performance compare? I understand the videos that were released made the PS3 look choppy etc etc but that was only 75% optimization I thought? Also I have a good TV so would that make it look better?

Thanks!

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

PS3 isn't going to be even full 720p. It's going to be a lower resolution stretched to 720.

Get a PC.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

and if that doesn't convince you, then you're going to have to wait, because the PS3 beta isn't even out yet, so nobody has any first-hand experience with it.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Veryyy convincing haha! Yeah, my original plan was PC anyways so I'm gonna be a champ and stick to that. Thanks for the hasty responses though! Appreciate it!

Worse case scenario, you don't like keyboard/mouse controls, plug in PS3/Xbox 360 controller and fire up the controller UI on the PC. You just beat everyone on PS3 to PS5 Graphics by a decade, with the added comfort of controller.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Yea screw that. I'll probably end up getting it on PS3 anyways but PC is the way to go for sure. Thanks for the answers and your opinions on the matter!

Dulek

Save up and upgrade PC. One less person to hear complaining 10 years from now if SE ever decides not to release an expansion in your region on PS3.

Ok, my thoughts are if I get a PC for this game, I want max settings or nothing at all, if I can't afford to play it at max then I'm playing an inferior version, and if I'm playing an inferior version then I'm going to go as cheap as I can on it ie ps3.

Sooooo my question is, what is the minimum I can expect to pay for a full pc that can handle this game at max and play it smooth?

Edit: oh and I'm in the UK

Onto plan B...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm at 1920x1200 with an OC'd 7970 and get 45+ FPS at max settings. Could probably be a constant 60+ at 1080p.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

2.0 is SOOO much better optimized then 1.0 you can't even compare the two versions. But I'd consider it like XI for PS2 vs XI for PS3. you will get the same game and all the shinies on pS2, but if you want the game to look sexy you will have to invest in a PC

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Loziel View Post
    Ok, my thoughts are if I get a PC for this game, I want max settings or nothing at all, if I can't afford to play it at max then I'm playing an inferior version, and if I'm playing an inferior version then I'm going to go as cheap as I can on it ie ps3.

Sooooo my question is, what is the minimum I can expect to pay for a full pc that can handle this game at max and play it smooth?

Edit: oh and I'm in the UK
    a PC around $1500? I-7 3770K nvidia 670/680 or radeon 7970 8/16GB DDR3 specs should be able to handle the game good at 1920x1080/1200 30-60fps at most all times, the benchmark is pretty much a good way to test ~ thats what its for!

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

The benchmark numbers are completely deceiving though. My friend who got less than a 2000 on the benchmark is supposedly seeing a FPS in the high 50s with everything turned up. The only time I heard him complain about graphics was while doing something with a ton of Goblins and them all using Goblin Bomb at the same time.

To the OP though, I am leaning towards purchasing the PS3 version myself. All 1.0 players already "own" the game as it were. So picking up the PS3 CE version if it is identical to the PC CE is my current plan. (As long as the CE is worth it this time, last time it decidedly was not.) Trophies ftw. Plus, from what I hear the new Controller scheme is bloody fantastic.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

When doing the benchmark, you should watch it in its entirety with fraps, to see the FPS changes, not wait to see an "average" at the end, this will give you an idea of how high/low you will get in the game, as the benchmark does get "intensive" as much as the beta does.
    Also, the score thing is kinda meh, it doesn't really help as much as seeing the FPS, when it comes down to gaming, seeing the game "average" 70fps" is a lot more helpful then knowing you got 8000 imo

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Issah Grimes
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Mouse/Keyboard > Gamepad

Will probably be more like

Naga/Mouse > Gamepad > Keyboard/Mouse

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Naga/Mouse? You mean Naga/Gameboard?

I don't think using the gameboard/naga thumb things is that accurate, I wouldn't want to rely on it. That said, Naga is just the kleenex word, I think the Gameboard is a bit better would do that+mouse. I don't think the Naga has enough keys to make logical progressions of things.

Gameboard can be setup pretty intuitively.
    Set MMB to ALT or CTRL to easily access second row abilities.

123 W 678
    45 ASD 910

G15-22 can be macros, target buttons, etc.

Onto plan B...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I don't think I've hit a number key on my keyboard since getting my Naga 4+ years ago. But back to the topic, Gulkeeva is right on the head when saying 30-60 FPS with a 7970. It can get up higher, but I found without vsync the game was jumpy for some reason.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy-Killer View Post
    I don't think I've hit a number key on my keyboard since getting my Naga 4+ years ago. But back to the topic, Gulkeeva is right on the head when saying 30-60 FPS with a 7970. It can get up higher, but I found without vsync the game was jumpy for some reason.
    Well Vsync forces a 30 or 60fps range, depending on how its coded, what your looking at etc etc... anyway yeah without going too close to NDA territory, the FPS you get in the benchmark, will closely match the fps highs and lows you will most likely see in the beta. It may not be the same situation, but the dips and highs are identical in gaming intensity you could say. THey did a good job with the benchmark, so it is best to watch it with fraps to get a general idea of what your FPS can be like.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

How would this: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ.../10225903.aspx

run FFXIV ARR? Any ideas? I might use this temporarily for Open beta and release while I upgrade to a desktop.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast