Seems that someone is now reverting the changes lol
    My money's on Cairthenn, lol.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noodles355 View Post
    Couldn't one of us just go edit it and remove it?

Fullscale wiki attack! Brb getting pitchfork
    This is a dangerous approach to take because (apart from the fact that you'd get yourself banned), we might kill novel information an innocent editor has added.

I would encourage people NOT to vandalize. Do not do it.

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

They even went through the round-about method of obtaining the source, because of course they could be bothered to view the page to take information, but god forbid actually contributing to where the information is coming from?

Jesus fuck, some people.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Retsujo View Post
    Being that it's a free-to-edit site, the best you can probably do is wdit the page to at least give yourself credit. Plagiarism is disgustingly overdone and original works underappreciated, mostly because the contents viewers don't give a crap where it came from, just if it's accurate. And instead of doing research and ultimately bumping into the original, they'll just edit it to their liking, making it a cesspool of inaccuracies and shit like Wikipedia was before the higher standards were out in place. Even still, the internet is full of assholes who don't care about anyone and it's very likely that because legal action is NOT a choice here, and also the anonymity of the user base, it'll just be easier to try and cite your own stuff in that wiki, and continue to make shit here.

Also, opinions abound, Wikia is shit. Wasn't it the people at gamerescape who originally had ffxiclopedia, then sold it to wikia after everyone donated a bunch of money to keep the servers going? Maybe I have that wrong...
    Yeah, the context of the original kerfluffle was what you were referring to, with people wanting to boycott ffxiclopedia and incidentally I believe that's how bgwiki got started in the first place. In the end, their response was to continue plagiarizing and posting stuff without permission, in addition to refusing to cite where it came from. The admin came down on the side of using information without attribution, and wikia people refused to do anything about it.

Flowery Twats
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    This is a dangerous approach to take because (apart from the fact that you'd get yourself banned), we might kill novel information an innocent editor has added.

I would encourage people NOT to vandalize. Do not do it.
    Just to make it clear, I agree. I should have phrased "remove it" as "revert it". The attack was just a joke of course.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yes, I reverted two of them after confirming that no additional information was added. I was curious as to whether they'd be made on their own and the others changed to follow suit, or if they'd just restore the copied pages. I don't intend to touch anything else, mostly because I don't want to deal with the hassle of someone getting upset and removing shit from bgwiki.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Even though I'm way too lazy to contribute to the wiki, I think it's pretty galling.
    Wikia is a company profiting of off (well-intentioned or clueless) users stealing others content. Next time just send a creative commons cease and desist form letter.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Modoru D'kkoru
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Damn, that's shitty to hear.

I remember the one and only time I contributed to either wiki (this one or ffxiclo') was for the Neo-Dyna proc sequence I managed to figure out alongside Byrth, and even then it was horribly edited over in their weakness targeting page.
    People are rude.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

At this point, it's sort of become like.."Well, someone is going to pull the information from there," even after years of that being an issue. I'm not saying it's okay, because it's obviously not, but I think a good deal of us have fairly silently accepted that, and it comes with inconsistencies, incompleteness, and the laughable inaccuracies on their end that Byrth pointed out.

Copy/pasting the source, however.. I suppose I can only speak for myself here, but I'm completely livid.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Modoru D'kkoru
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Seconded. No effort whatsoever.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

As if ffxiclopedia didn't suck as it is. BG wiki seems to always be on top of everything new rapidly and this is just another example of the theft. I remember when people were annoyed they were copy pasting the legion pages, PW, etc because theirs were blank. Guess it is to be expected at this point.

Love BG wiki and if I were a better editor I would spend more time on it, but it took me forever just to do the dragon meat page :l

Flowery Twats
    BG Level

Only things I still go to ffxiclopedia for is TotM trials tbh. Their old content (like NMs for trials) is good generally.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

yeah bgwiki is specifically superior for post 75 content.
    stuff like VW, Legion and Meebles..
    abyssea is a toss up between the two.

when my friends who are older players ask me where to go for info i usually direct them to xiclopedia for <75 and bgwiki for >75 stuff. the lack of any single unifed wiki is a pity, but its also pretty hard to bring everything up to steam at this point considering how much content there really is to cover.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quickly wanted to say the coalition pages look great, thanks for all the hardwork on the wiki, it definitely is the place to go for new content.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    yeah bgwiki is specifically superior for post 75 content.
    stuff like VW, Legion and Meebles..
    abyssea is a toss up between the two.

when my friends who are older players ask me where to go for info i usually direct them to xiclopedia for <75 and bgwiki for >75 stuff. the lack of any single unifed wiki is a pity, but its also pretty hard to bring everything up to steam at this point considering how much content there really is to cover.
    Yes. I would say Otherwiki for regular older stuff like the olde quests/missions, stuff like that. BGwiki for anything new post like 2009.

If you ask me part of that was the huge drag between the launch of FFXIV and how it looked like FFXI was in limbo slowly dying. Now that there's a new expansion it feels like the game is commited again and I'm willing to help join others who are already contributing to work toward completing BGWiki. Not just for SoA stuff but covering everything.