+ Reply to Thread
Page 142 of 143 FirstFirst ... 92 132 140 141 142 143 LastLast
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Delayed View Post
    Offering someone a life sentence is putting them to death. it's just a cowards way of allowing a person to die.
    It is not cheaper to allow a life sentence compared to death penalties, as the current method of lethal injection costs less than 100$ per shot.
    the greater cost comes from the court room, and is not something that can be directly tied to the person, but the system instead.

Life sentencing costs tax payers money that otherwise would not be imposed. Do you feel pride in paying for this individuals (and every other one like him) food, bedding, A/C, activities allowed, magazines, newspapers, and any medication he is on (and eventually will be from being in the system, both from psychological and physiological issues stemmed)?
    Or are you oblivious to the fact that he and his dead brother killed dozens of people, not allowing those to live their peaceful and innocent lives any longer?
    The system is flawed, imposing the death penalty will still allow him the opportunity to live your solution for the next 10-15 years before his turn in the chair and room comes up. You could even visit and read to him in the meantime if you so choose.
    Despite the heinous crimes, they still get basic rights. As to some of the costs, ac for example is more for the staff, and a lot of prisons don't have it. The only literature they get for free I'd a holy book. Anything else in the library was donated or purchased by the inmate or their friends and family. He will be in max so his only activity will be an hour out of his cell to walk.

As for the cost to execute, a lot of the drugs come from European companies who will now not sell to us for execution purposes and supply is dangerously low which is why we've had so many botched executions. It's not as black and white as people make it out to be.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post

You are not going to have an easy time convincing people that the DP would be much better if we just did a first trial, and then shot the accused the next day. Good God, that is not the way I want this country to go at all.

I am all for us finding other methods that are more humane than what is happening now (if we are to do it at all that is). But never ever get rid of these court proceedings.
    Well, keeping in context this situation, all we need is the one trial.
    What is humane about locking someone in a cage? Or is that just the method most comfortable in choosing, as it allows him to live a comfortable life, by himself, eating sleeping, showering and continuing on day to day until his eventual death anyway.
    I think we are ask in agreement in that he will never live a normal life again.
    We are effectively choosing death slowly, in as comfortable an environment as it gets, an American prison institution, or by lethal injection.
    If you aren't ok with a death penalty, it would appear you think he shouldn't die at all, so why lock him away for the remainder of his life?

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Actually no. Every instance of that in this thread has been in response to people saying they don't want to pay to keep him alive (at least from me).
    People have also been arguing with you that they consider the death penalty more humane as opposed to life in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    As for the cost to execute, a lot of the drugs come from European companies who will now not sell to us for execution purposes and supply is dangerously low which is why we've had so many botched executions. It's not as black and white as people make it out to be.
    Bullets work too and don't lead to news reports of deathrow inmates with botched injections writhing on the ground choking and gasping for 4 hours. We don't need European poison to kill people... just look at the police thread.

Spoiler: show
    As an aside China will literally manufacture any chemical that you ask them too.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    People have also been arguing with you that they consider the death penalty more humane as opposed to life in prison.
    Yes, but that is literally not relevant to the financial comment I was responding to.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by chazzyphizzle View Post
    getting pretty tired of people trying to use the "herp derp it costs money to keep them prison for life" rationale when making a case for killing someone
    Every instance of that in this thread has been in response to people saying they don't want to pay to keep him alive (at least from me).
    Recalling previous comments on the humane nature as opposed to cost related
    Yes, but that is literally not relevant to the financial comment I was responding to.
    Seems like you want to keep it financial.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

"Every instance of THAT"

Jesus Christ you really need to work on that reading comprehension.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Bullets work too and don't lead to news reports of deathrow inmates with botched injections writhing on the ground choking and gasping for 4 hours. We don't need European poison to kill people... just look at the police thread.

As an aside China will literally manufacture any chemical that you ask them too.
    Only state that has firing squad is Utah and it's not allowed by the feds. If you want to go cheap let's go with hangings. You can reuse the rope.

Also I am for the death penalty, though in this case I do feel it could possibly be used by groups such as ISIS to martyr him and as a basis for attacks.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

"Every instance of THAT"

Jesus Christ you really need to work on that reading comprehension.
    Maybe.

maybe fuck yaself

Let me start by saying I am not for the death penalty period. With that said, you cannot discount the court costs as something "unnecessary." One innocent life being put to death is one life too many. And we know it happens.

You are not going to have an easy time convincing people that the DP would be much better if we just did a first trial, and then shot the accused the next day. Good God, that is not the way I want this country to go at all.

I am all for us finding other methods that are more humane than what is happening now (if we are to do it at all that is). But never ever get rid of these court proceedings.
    An innocent life being put to death would indeed be tragic, but let me ask - how much more tragic is it to be locked away for 60 years while innocent, hoping every day for some kind of miraculous exoneration? We need to keep in mind that every potential death penalty is effectively guaranteed to be life in prison, no possibility of parole. These people are going to die in the system, one way or another. You need to put yourself in their shoes and ask if you could handle hoping, year after year, until your hope runs dry - until you're a shell of your former self - if death wouldn't have been preferable to that misery.

I agree that the forced appeals are a good thing, but we need to do something to speed them up. It shouldn't take 15 years to do 2-3 appeals. There's literally no reason for that. Also, and more importantly in my opinion, we need to do something to ensure that each person in these trials has a ZEALOUS and COMPETENT defense (especially in the first trial). The government needs to spend more money hiring lawyers to defend people instead of prosecutors to lock people away.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Delayed View Post
    If you aren't ok with a death penalty, it would appear you think he shouldn't die at all, so why lock him away for the remainder of his life?
    To prevent him from doing it again.

[edit] To add before people jump, I am fully in support of reform programs for prisoners. But I think our current system is insanely lacking in this area.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

That's still irrelevant though. There's no way he is going to become reformed and let out into the populace again.

I'll concede that the difference between life in prison with no parole and the death penalty, in this situation, is the reinforcement in our society that massacaring dozens of innocent people is not OK. That said, do people really consider all life so precious that they'd condemn a young man to basically live in a concrete box the rest of his life over just ending it 60 years early?

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

All i'm really seeing from defenders of life sentences is the lack of finality of it as opposed to the death sentence. They opt for the less humane option because they cannot ever be sure of 100% guilt.

To which I say you lack the courage of your convictions!

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

In this day and age the death penalty does nothing more than "send a message"; all you need to do is decide if that message is worth the cost. Personally, in this case, I believe it is.

BG Level

the vast majority of prisoners prefer life imprisonment to the death penalty, the death hungry McVeighs of the world are a rarity. whatever your thoughts or mine are on the matter the thoughts of the condemned are clear.

BG Level

All i'm really seeing from defenders of life sentences is the lack of finality of it as opposed to the death sentence. They opt for the less humane option because they cannot ever be sure of 100% guilt.

To which I say you lack the courage of your convictions!
    there are many who believe the state lacks the moral authority to ever take the life of a citizen absent a clear and present danger. over 50% of the world as a matter of fact, including near all the civilized parts of it. to wit the United States along with Iran, China, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan perform 90% of the world's judicial executions, and when you are on a list with Iran, China, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan, it may be time for reevaluation.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

How about we just say he gets life in prison. And then kill him without telling anyone.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

To prevent him from doing it again.

[edit] To add before people jump, I am fully in support of reform programs for prisoners. But I think our current system is insanely lacking in this area.
    Sure. Let's continue to allow pedos murderers and rapists to join programs designed to let them back into the free world, to continue doing what got them there in the first place.
    The Programs don't change people. The people change because they want to, not because a pamphlet they read says murder and rape is wrong.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

It is amazing the assuming you made in that post.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's the only assumption that can be made from reading your posts.
    You're innocent belief in criminals is the amazing part however.