1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 43 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 16 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 22 hours, 43 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 11 hours, 16 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The help me I havent paid attention to XIV since '10 and ARR looks cool so maybe ill play it thread.

I know theres a random thread, but I though this might be better to help other people like me who are less wanting to know deep mechanics atm, and just want some general insight to ARR? But I guess merge/delete if desired.

But yeah, as stated, beta'd the original, and basically stopped playing a few months after release. I haave paid attention to some things, but for the most part i've missed 90% of what has transpired.

Are there any good threads, summaries, advice, etcetc?

I plan to go through the dev and news threads, but what about any other stuff? Other sites? Is there something to read up on to see the differences between the two games? Something about what happens to my character from 1.0? Is ARR really worth playing? Any "secret" threads from beta testers? What should we expect from ARR? Classes and Jobs? Races? Stats? Old areas? New? etcetc.

Thanks.

Kind of an awkward time for this topic considering we're in flux sorta going into P3. It's hard to tell you anything concrete that isn't (probably) already obsolete. It'll be easier to answer these questions a week or so into P3 (also not sure about NDA stuff - is it lifted already?) so uhh, not sure what to say.

For starters, try checking the Lodestone? http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

Apply to beta test for the heck of it, you might get picked and try it out yourself.

Maybe check on reddit or here for extra beta codes.

New Odin
    BG Level

No one can say whether ARR is worth playing for you. It's by all accounts a decent AAA product (both in quality and quantity) with gameplay that may not be the best in the genre but can stand on its own feet, remains faithful to the franchise and is audiovisually very pleasing.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Anyone who had a 1.0 account can play in phase 3 without applying, so give it a try in a few weeks and decide for yourself!

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

when does the next phase start. I got into the beta but it always got stuck on patching when I was trying to play.

Ill be doing it for at least 2ish months but Im not sure if Ill go past that unless I find a good group for some fun. Im pretty entrenched and enjoying wow right now, not sure if this will scratch an itch I might not have. I wont be running an official BG linkshell but if someone else has a friendly group of people setup I might consider joining

We'll probably find out the Phase 3 start on the 30th, so hang tight for that.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Phase 3 is the main one I've been waiting on. Want to go xploring on my 1.0 guy.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    when does the next phase start. I got into the beta but it always got stuck on patching when I was trying to play.

Ill be doing it for at least 2ish months but Im not sure if Ill go past that unless I find a good group for some fun. Im pretty entrenched and enjoying wow right now, not sure if this will scratch an itch I might not have. I wont be running an official BG linkshell but if someone else has a friendly group of people setup I might consider joining
    http://www.impact-gaming.us/

Take a look sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    Reading this kinda makes me sad. Well, not sad but mostly nostalgic (or maybe those are the same) at how serious end-game communities are. If only I were 16 again.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Reading this kinda makes me sad. Well, not sad but mostly nostalgic (or maybe those are the same) at how serious end-game communities are. If only I were 16 again.
    I work 70-80 hours a week and play occasionally; there's a solid mix of casual with traditional end gamers. Most people were hardcore XI when they were younger and are now in their 20s, working, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    Most people were hardcore XI when they were younger and are now in their 20s, working, etc.
    This. The new hardcore are the working class who grew up being hardcore gamers. The days of Quantity (time) is over for us, where we now rely on Quality! When you realize everyone around you has a hardcore mentality, but has to maintain +45 hour work weeks, children, families, you realize how far in life you've come as a gamer. The gaming community that caters to that lifestyle is the one you want to be in!

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I'd love to be in an LS with some BG regs. I have some pretty F'd up hours being an RN. I work nights. I stay up late on nights I'm off. I have 3 kids. I was in the top carbuncle LS when I played XI, I was a pretty boss Taru WHM and MNK. I think my character still plays, I gave her to Lyramion.

Edit: and we had the best LS name of any LS to ever exist.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Tyche, you missed out when a bunch of us from spam played FFXI for like a month. It was fun shit.

Been waiting for the PS3 release for this for years since my PC could never handle it. I'll get the CE, even if I only play for a month or two because I'm a sucker for art books and soundtracks and it's not $100+

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

You need to piece a damn PC together. You can get a lot of parts on the cheap. I think the 3570ks are down to about 180 (if you have a micro center close by, even cheaper). The 600-series nvidia card prices are sure to drop as well.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    You need to piece a damn PC together. You can get a lot of parts on the cheap. I think the 3570ks are down to about 180 (if you have a micro center close by, even cheaper). The 600-series nvidia card prices are sure to drop as well.
    I have the money to do it, but I'd feel extremely guillty for dropping 700+ on a computer and then throw on a monitor when I should just pay off some student loans early.

edit: updated my gpu drivers and ran the new exploration benchmark and got 2600ish on medium, which is good enough for me. Just think my laptop will overheat like cray though

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    This. The new hardcore are the working class who grew up being hardcore gamers. The days of Quantity (time) is over for us, where we now rely on Quality! When you realize everyone around you has a hardcore mentality, but has to maintain +45 hour work weeks, children, families, you realize how far in life you've come as a gamer. The gaming community that caters to that lifestyle is the one you want to be in!
    In an ideal world sure, but my experience was mostly that the regular members (who played a lot, either due to being in education or unemployed) would get their shit and everyone else who worked would only get it when they didn't need it. Obviously I thought this was bullshit but most of the other members who worked full time were in a similar position. That's why the only thing I think ARR needs to do right in this regard is loot options, since dungeons/primals in 1.0 were obviously made for those who had the most time to put in. Let's go token systems!

So it's not so much a problem if the game is designed properly, it seems silly that I'm worried because I fear the game might be designed like it was 1999 again.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

Had some damn fun times in Foodmonsters LS with Tyche and the gang back in 04/05.. no way in 9 hells I could pull it off now though lol. At least I have my 5000 screenshots to remember it all by.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    In an ideal world sure, but my experience was mostly that the regular members (who played a lot, either due to being in education or unemployed) would get their shit and everyone else who worked would only get it when they didn't need it. Obviously I thought this was bullshit but most of the other members who worked full time were in a similar position. That's why the only thing I think ARR needs to do right in this regard is loot options, since dungeons/primals in 1.0 were obviously made for those who had the most time to put in. Let's go token systems!

So it's not so much a problem if the game is designed properly, it seems silly that I'm worried because I fear the game might be designed like it was 1999 again.
    I'm not sure what world you live in but if you have more time to put into a game (or most anything), you'll always get "more". If you think that's bullshit or bad game design then by all means come up with something better. A token system works exactly the same way btw, it just lets you choose the reward instead of relying on RNG.

Waraji's point was if you join a group with everyone in the same "stage of life" then you don't have your "regular members", as you called them, at all. You'll never be a second class citizen in a community where there is only one type of citizen to begin with. Games are still "designed" to cater to those with more time however, whether it's 1999 or 2099.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    I'm not sure what world you live in but if you have more time to put into a game (or most anything), you'll always get "more". If you think that's bullshit or bad game design then by all means come up with something better. A token system works exactly the same way btw, it just lets you choose the reward instead of relying on RNG.
    lol, the world I live in? Same as yours.

Token system allows you to gain what you want at your own pace and get what you want out of it. You don't need to keep doing events in the hope to get something at sometime, you do it for tangible progress towards what you want. I thought this was obvious. Rather than doing x event 100 times for random shit (ask for anecdotal evidence of Ifrit weapons), you do x event 100 times for what you want (Garuda). That means your time is spent better and it means those with more time don't pull away because they have more time.

If dungeons had progress tokens to get Darklight gear then those with more time wouldn't have the advantage over those with less. Those with less time could focus on what they want and achieve it in the time they have. Are you seriously trying to say that RNG works the same as tokens? Come on son.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    Waraji's point was if you join a group with everyone in the same "stage of life" then you don't have your "regular members", as you called them, at all. You'll never be a second class citizen in a community where there is only one type of citizen to begin with. Games are still "designed" to cater to those with more time however, whether it's 1999 or 2099.
    And my point is that doesn't always happen. If you say your community is like that then all the more power to you but I wasn't specifically speaking about yours so get the stick out of your ass.

And no, not all games are designed to cater to those who have more time (especially these days) and not all methods have to reward those who put in more time. You can play smart and well, not long and hard, to achieve results. Try again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast