1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 16 hours, 19 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 7 hours, 40 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 9 hours, 19 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 0 hours, 40 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 160 of 163 FirstFirst ... 110 150 158 159 160 161 162 ... LastLast
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Dunno how anyone can assume party composition for content that we have no clue about. We don't even know what 4-8 man level 50 content looks like, nevermind more.
    This, kinda. I haven't even considered practical endgame theorycrafting aside from desired fights because the game isn't even out yet. That said, I can see why 1.0 end-gamers would be thinking about it.

It's fairly asinine to think or even comment that theorycrafting is useless due to not knowing that the content is.

We have 1.23 to look at, we have shittasticfuckvillefagsforplaying XI to look at, and we have WoW to look at. Specific bosses (due to lolfanservice) will have their moves known prior to even stepping into the arena and some bosses were already fights in 1.23 and likely haven't changed too dramatically. All we have left is whatever they are going to steal from WoW and put the training wheels on because you can be certain there won't be much innovation for any of this shit.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I'm not saying its asinine or useless, I'm saying that I have no real interest in doing it because my last bit of "extensive" end-game theorycrafting came in WoW, where it was more about "is your gear high enough and do you have enough non-bads to avoid the fire and traps to beat the boss"? If this game ends up with an end-game of 1.0., then I'll follow the 1.0ers lead. If it ends up like XI, then lol (it won't). If it ends up like WoW, I'll be right at home. Gear up, stay the fuck out of the fire, get your shit done and get paid.

You don't have to do a metric ton of theorycrafting with WoW's content aside from watching and reacting. You didn't need to theorycraft 30,000 gear swaps and whatnot. Wear your best shit and get the fuck out of the fire. If you have to move to dispel a buff, move.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    You don't have to do a metric ton of theorycrafting with WoW's content aside from watching and reacting. You didn't need to theorycraft 30,000 gear swaps and whatnot. Wear your best shit and get the fuck out of the fire. If you have to move to dispel a buff, move.
    If you did normal modes only, then sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    It's fairly asinine to think or even comment that theorycrafting is useless due to not knowing that the content is.

We have 1.23 to look at, we have shittasticfuckvillefagsforplaying XI to look at, and we have WoW to look at. Specific bosses (due to lolfanservice) will have their moves known prior to even stepping into the arena and some bosses were already fights in 1.23 and likely haven't changed too dramatically. All we have left is whatever they are going to steal from WoW and put the training wheels on because you can be certain there won't be much innovation for any of this shit.
    If you wanna make theories for theories sake, you can. But the simple fact is we don't know anything about level 50 4 or 8 man content like what the bosses will do. Hell, we don't even know how SCH will fit in or how that will affect party composition, we don't know what bosses are planned or what the battlefield will do etc, how limit breaks affect battles etc.

Like I said, if you wanna do it, go ahead. But we don't have enough information to discuss anything useful or relevant. If you think drawing from XI (LOL), XIV or WoW is gonna help you, then go ahead. But these are completely different games, with different design principles, mechanics and classes.

So yeah, go ahead. I hate theorycrafting at this stage, but different strokes.

Yes, the classes in XIV are very different from all other MMOs, the end game mechanics will be new and innovative, the combat system will be years ahead of its time.

Or you know, yeah.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

The only thing that's difficult to speculate/theorycraft on is the nature of SMN and BRD in the grand scheme of things. Which admittedly can kind of twist dynamics pretty drastically, but a couple of unknowns don't really cause the discussion to become completely moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Yes, the classes in XIV are very different from all other MMOs, the end game mechanics will be new and innovative, the combat system will be years ahead of its time.

Or you know, yeah.
    Except you know that isn't what I'm saying.

So yeah.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
    If you did normal modes only, then sure.
    What? I did plenty of hardmodes without endless theorycrafting. Hell, all I've talked about in WoW over the last 2 years was HMs from WotLK.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Albertclifford Slater
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Stonemaul

What? I did plenty of hardmodes without endless theorycrafting. Hell, all I've talked about in WoW over the last 2 years was HMs from WotLK.
    Well I guess that depends whether you were downing heroic bosses in ICC before or after the zone buff reached 10+% or did you progress through Ulduar heroics before or after TOGC was released. Not even going to delve into the guild shattering M'uru.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lyn Tah'row
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Assuming you were actually clearing hard modes in their original state, this still means that you (and I'm in this category as well, just to be clear) just waited for other people to do most of the work for us every patch - we just had EJ or something open earlier and fewer idiots in the guild to clear it before everyone could. It's kinda silly to be like "WELL I didn't have to theorycraft but I totally did ALL the hard modes" and dismissing the likely enormous amount of time spent doing just that so us lazier people can follow the tl;dr versions.

Also, you make it sound like you were tanking or healing those fights; I think you get larger benefits from theorycrafting individual encounters due to less linear gearing decisions in those roles, especially when they are still considered non-trivial.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by ejact View Post
    Well I guess that depends whether you were downing heroic bosses in ICC before or after the zone buff reached 10+% or did you progress through Ulduar heroics before or after TOGC was released. Not even going to delve into the guild shattering M'uru.
    Hah! M'uru...

@Gaga: If you count waiting for others as like, World first crew and then server first crews, then sure. God knows I didn't want to be in a guild that had mandatory attendance hours on a nightly basis to try to server first. I said what I said: I didn't have to theorycraft. I didn't say -no one- didn't have to theorycraft. Boss gave orders, follow orders, stay out of the fire, read parsers, figure out what rotations work best for max DPS, do more damage, gear up, do more damage, move on. It was a flexable era: either your guild's multiple teams (if large enough) ran into walls and passed things on or you picked up new mates from other guilds that had experience at one or more fights. Obviously the Hardmodes were difficult enough to require someone to figure that shit out. I remember how much of a bitch Sindragosa originally felt back when I was running it: without someone to die lots and lots to figure out a working strat, shit wasn't getting done in any sort of timely manner.

Comparing raid fight strats in WoW to XI's "shit is situational" gear-swapping bullshit is like comparing mangos to bicycle parts. They are completely different.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by ejact View Post
    pfft, real raiders of sunwell did hardmode M'uru onry

Spoiler: show

Phase 1 and 2 at the same time, challenge accepted ...!
    http://www.neko-sentai.com/images12n...8220718ai2.jpg

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I saw some screenshots of your gear, Gulk. Your Hunter was naaaaastyyy back in the day.

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

If we assume that the battle team knows what they're doing, then we could probably just analyze the few screenshots they put up of endgame fights to figure out what they have in mind for group composition. Not saying that it will hold over for everything, but if their are enough screenshots of enough different encounters, then we could definitely start drawing some lines.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarax View Post
    GMG has 25% off both digital and digital CE using voucher:
    http://www.greenmangaming.com/hot-deals/
    Really good deal for new players, gives full preorder bonuses too.
    20% right now through Friday, August 9th for NA & EU versions.

The 20% coupon GMG20-4B9NY-L4FEN will work for all region, reducing the price from $29.99, £19.99, and 24.99 € for the Standard Edition. For the Digital Deluxe Edition, it’ll be taking 20% off $49.99, £34.99, and 39.99 €.

Coupon expires August 9th, 11AM Eastern time.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/03...ff-back-again/
    http://www.dealzon.com/buy/final-fan...drc=siliconera
    http://www.dealzon.com/buy/final-fan...drc=siliconera

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Enygma Xii
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Not bad for CE but no physical swag (unless I'm mistaken didnt read it anywhere)

Good for people who dont have anything.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

GMG only sells digital versions, so no physical stuff obviously. (although I did see a post on the beta forums asking 'how long will I wait for my physical items if I order the digital version')

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Off-topic but... I remember people speaking of a healer shortage (or bottleneck) pre-30 due to ACN seemingly not being a healer.
    Well, the good news is that apparently there's a token system that would supposedly make people want to do lower level dungeon content (I'm assuming this means you can only get x amount of tokens from each dungeon per y period of time.)

If the information I read and my assumptions are correct, I think that this will only be an issue near the start of the game before more people get SCH unlocked because it looks like (due to the level of the summon abilities in the .dats) at the very least SCH would still be able to summon both fairies and still be able to cross-class cure from CNJ even when level synced for content.

tl;dr: I think the healer bottleneck that was brought up before will be an issue but not for more than like a week.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Well, the good news is that apparently there's a token system that would supposedly make people want to do lower level dungeon content
    [citation needed]