1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 20 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 39 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 1 hours, 20 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 8 hours, 39 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leveling help     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

Leveling help

This is probably already stated somewhere else, if so I apologize.

I finished the story line quests up and it ended me up at Sastasha, an instance where I'm having an unbelievably hard time finding a group and other than that I can find no quests anywhere.

Anybody have any leveling advice post level 16? I'd greatly appreciate it.

It's sooo veiny
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arch Dizzle
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Tam tara? You shouldnt need to do any quest to open that dungeon and in P2 I think it was around 18-20 when you inlocked more quests, otherwise do Fates and guildhest/leves, although since beta just started you won't havw many allowances, also complete that hunting log.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

I tried getting into tam Tara and it says I haven't progressed far enough in the "fire in the gloom" quest line. Only quest I have at the moment is "it's probably pirates" which is the quest for satasha. Fixing to just level CNJ so I can get a group lol

Just follow the quest line, after getting a party for Sartasha stay in that party and do the other 2 dungeons before you need to split. Then just follow the quest to next hub and that should get you around 20-21.

Do hunting logs whenever you find new targets as well. Such good EXP.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by ArchDizzle View Post
    Tam tara? You shouldnt need to do any quest to open that dungeon and in P2 I think it was around 18-20 when you inlocked more quests, otherwise do Fates and guildhest/leves, although since beta just started you won't havw many allowances, also complete that hunting log.
    According the Beta 3 Patch Notes, only Toto-Rak, Haukke Manor and Brayflox's Longstop do not currently require a quest line completion to enter. With the ferry down, and people having to wade through a series of questlines after they obtain their airship pass, it may be extremely difficult to find a Sastasha group (unless the duty finder is actually working, which atm it doesn't appear to be for me at least). It sure as heck would have been nice if they just plain didn't have the dungeon attunements turned on for sub level 20 dungeons. Makes it difficult to manage quest XP and you now have to do quests in all three areas to unlike 3 different dungeons for 15-20.

Hmmm judging by the rest, it seems that the main story quest may take you to each dungeon individually... may make progressing a tad difficult, but the duty finder should help.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by jinkazama View Post
    I tried getting into tam Tara and it says I haven't progressed far enough in the "fire in the gloom" quest line. Only quest I have at the moment is "it's probably pirates" which is the quest for satasha. Fixing to just level CNJ so I can get a group lol
    4 DPS can clear that dungeon with little trouble. I did it with MRD, LNC, ARC, ARC.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Here's what I did to get to 35:

1-16: quests, FATEs, hunting log, etc.
    16-20: MSQ, doing each dungeon once (SS -> TD -> CM) with a party setup of GLA PGL PGL THM
    20-26: finished MSQ, did Halatali once, spammed FATEs, did Totorak once, finished hunting log, spammed more FATEs, scrounged for quests at level 15-20 camps around the world, did guildhests up to level 20
    29-35: spammed FATEs some more, finished hunting logs, did Haukke and Brayflox once with a party setup of PGL PGL THM CNJ, finished all available guildhests

I was beaten to 35 on Coeurl by a semi-static group in my FC of MRD, MRD, LNC, and CNJ. Dungeon exp/hr was nerfed, but is still more consistent than FATEs unless you teleport during any potential downtime to the other regions, and even then, dungeons might still win out. The primary FATE chain near Quarrymill was also dramatically nerfed.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Is there a BG linkshell going on or anything like that?

EDIT: sorta posted this in the wrong thread

I had one concern as it relates to the leveling process in the game, it seems like most of the time the game was sending me to other lowbie areas to quest. Does anyone know if they will fix this.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Murdax View Post
    I had one concern as it relates to the leveling process in the game, it seems like most of the time the game was sending me to other lowbie areas to quest. Does anyone know if they will fix this.
    'Fix this'? Lol

The story is sending you all over the place and that's how it will work, because it seems we will be doing one Primal after another.
    The side quests itself will progress normally in a current region.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Murdax View Post
    Do you mean when you went to other cities? Those quests are mostly designed for the classes that start in those cities. They are useful for leveling other classes.
    The main quest line should lead you to all of them and beyond(Im only 19 currently, but others in this thread have shown how to get to current max in beta).

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xio Nightshard
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

The world tour is designed to get people into the other cities (and consequently exploring/picking up other jobs and such) and establish their Teleports early on for those that can't, won't, or don't know how to get to those cities on chocobo.

Between 16-20 I was averaging a level per dungeon using Duty Finder, though a lot of that was helped by burning off the rested bonus and constantly using food. With a good group, neither Toto-Rak or Copperbell take a drastically long time, and I also used it as an opportunity to greed up some items for other disciplines + tin pieces. Level sync will ensure that you're at least getting some adequate EXP even if you waltz in at level 39. As a CNJ though, my queues were usually literally less than 10 seconds; if you're playing a DPS class, be prepared to do other crap in between these queues (Mining/Weaving fillled the time for me).

There's also EXP% earned+ scrolls buyable with Grand Company marks and you can join up around 20, though it might take a little work to get the rank capable of buying them unless you do a lot of the company leves and provision missions. If I recall, FATEs giving company marks is just a provisional measure for the beta since actual Company missions aren't available yet -- these will also be another source of EXP after 20 to consider.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Dungeons are always the way to go for XP honestly... past level 20 the amount of quests drops down tremendously, and the game practically begs you to party up for your xp. Even at level 29-30 I was averaging about 1/2 a level per Haukke Manor run, so it's damn good xp.

Didn't see any mention of Guildhest, the first time you complete one you can get a substantial reward in terms of EXP, granted they are bad after that but they are definitely worth doing atleast once.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by MrSamuels View Post
    Didn't see any mention of Guildhest, the first time you complete one you can get a substantial reward in terms of EXP, granted they are bad after that but they are definitely worth doing atleast once.
    Yeah, I suppose there are those too. The problem is that at level 30 you need about 144k to level up, and each guildhest gives you around 13-17k for completing it the first time (with subsequent 2-3k each time you repeat it) so it's not really that amazing when Haukke Manor gives you around 1k xp per kill at 29-30 for example, but worth going through nonetheless.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Guildhests are nice, but I'd save them for a dry spell. When I got to about 22-23, I just started roaming in to Fates between dungeon and collected hunting log monsters when they showed up and it was super east to shoot to about 32.

A nice little something I found out is that the big boss fates give about 2-3x the amount of EXP a regular fate does at that area. In the South Shroud, there was that giant rock golem fate (Nunyunuwi) and killing him at level gave me like 19,000+ EXP and a regular fate only gave me about 7,000.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I found fates/leves slightly better compared to dungeons...but with dungeons you get nice gear though so...and at launch we're not gonna have max leves.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

If you can jump from fate to fate, they might be better for the earlier levels, but Manor and up, you start getting 1,000+ exp per kill, and even the level-appropriate fate's can't keep up with that. Of course, you'll still be doing Fates between dungeons if you're having wait times (pro-tip, find a healer friend -- you get groups instantly).

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    If you can jump from fate to fate, they might be better for the earlier levels, but Manor and up, you start getting 1,000+ exp per kill, and even the level-appropriate fate's can't keep up with that. Of course, you'll still be doing Fates between dungeons if you're having wait times (pro-tip, find a healer friend -- you get groups instantly).
    I just checked some of my... animated screenshots... and I was getting 800-1200 per kill, but that was with rested EXP.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Okan View Post
    I just checked some of my... animated screenshots... and I was getting 800-1200 per kill, but that was with rested EXP.
    Varies, depending on your synced level. When you first get in there, it's base over 1k, but once you start leveling, that base goes down.