1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 15 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 44 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 20 hours, 15 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 13 hours, 44 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PVP compiled information     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

PVP compiled information

I have posted it in the beta forums but posting it here for BG members , there are no NDA broken from these information and so here it goes:

as the title mentioned, I will try to compile the information I have found about PVP in FFXIV since pvp information is scattered around the forum and websites. i have to give credit to all various posters in the forum who brought the information too. anyways here it goes:

Quotes from Yoshida:

"For A Realm Reborn‘s PvP we plan to implement two elements: the Coliseum for “casual” PvP matches and the Frontline for large-scale PvP battles. Frontline will feature epic battles among the three city-states and would be similar to a Realm vs. Realm which you can look forward to."

" we are designing it so that players that do not wish to take part in PvP are not forced to. The battle framework we are currently working on takes into account future PVP contents. We are planning two approaches to PvP. The first are battles in the Coliseum where you can have a fair duel against an opponent. The second is a PvP area where you can fight for control of various influences with several players."

" We are planning to have it so you can view the camera of the players PvPing, but we’re just barely progressing with this, so we will be looking into this as a feature to be released in the future"

" as far as PvP goes, opposing players will take fall damage during a match."

" First off, let me introduce a few of the rewards players can obtain through PvP. This PvP exclusive equipment has been modeled after animals"

"A geographic anomaly near Limsa Lominsa was shown very briefly in the “A New Beginning” trailer, the inside of which has been converted into an arena. Players will register for PvP battles inside the ship out front. The first PvP arena we plan to introduce will include pillars, stairs and other obstacles that players can exploit when engaging their opponents."

"After registration, players will be matched up automatically against other players based on their PvP ranking. It will be very casual, so hopefully everyone at least tries it out!"

"I'm not planning to allow PK in the Coliseum. Please consider similar to a sports match where the teams hold a sports-like competition. However, with the other one that takes place in the PvP area, players may be attacked by others at any moment as long as they are in that area. So as long as you don't enter that area, you will be safe."

" We’ve actually expanded the battle team just recently. And there are quite a lot of them that have played PVP games with me. We’ve put a lot of work into the system, including the core design"

" What we've decided to do is create two separate sets of skills for that players will have the freedom to interchange depending on whether they’re playing PvE or PvP. These PvP actions will be obtained through participation in PVP"

" I'm not sure how knowledgeable most people are about PvP, especially in the JP community, but the coliseum that we're planning to implement at launch is something like...a gathering place for the world's strongest warriors. When a PvP battle starts, you'll see four players from the opposing team on the other side. Once the signal is given, the battle starts. Now, if I was a black mage, I'd obviously focus on casting magic from a far while trying to keep my distance, since I'd be slaughtered in close combat. I might also hide behind pillars or other obstructions while attacking to prevent others from targeting me.

Of course, I'm sure opposing warriors and paladins would attack me first because of my low defense, so I would probably try to cast sleep or repose to take them out of the fight for a short while. Depending on your role and the situation, you'll want to fight with a different style. And, as I mentioned in the previous live letter, you can use the environment to your advantage. These matches will be balanced around 4 vs. 4. Hopefully everyone can try it out and go from there.

That's the general idea behind PvP. Of course, there will be situations where melee characters try to ensnare casters, or think of ways to prevent the opposing player from running away with sprint. Oh, and you'll be able to restore TP by using potions. I could go on and on about it. Anyway, you’ll receive points when you win a match.

And when you gain a certain amount of points, your PvP rank will go up. As you gain ranks in PVP, you'll receive a different type of points. These particular points can be used to obtain weapon skills, for example. PvP players can create certain builds by using these points. These points can also be used to purchase the PvP gear I introduced last time.

So essentially, your goal would be to gain points through matches to obtain PVP skills, passive abilities, and gear to grow stronger. You can even buy—well, I might get yelled at by the Battle team for saying this but...

For example, you'll be able to purchase this one paladin PVP ability, and its effect changes depending on what grand company you've joined."

Update 27/4/2013
    "The PvP Coliseum will be added during phase 4 of the beta, but all PvP points earned will be reset at release to be fair to those not participating to the beta test."

Update 13/6/2013

UNOFFICIAL TRANSLATION
    on front line, we are planning to implement it on patch 2.2 or 2.3 we’re talking which one it’s going to be on, it has higher probability of it being on 2.3 but once you go in, depending on your grand company the starting point changes so, you’re going to take over forts against other players. there are parts where crafters also comes to play. the frontline zones will be open for PVP 24hrs

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

That last armor set is ridiculous and awesome

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arietta Scarlet
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Thank you for compiling the little info we have about PVP, i was just looking around for PVP info and you saved me a lot of trouble. Anyways is it me or the first pic doesn't load? wasn't there another animal set? lion i think?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

my pleasure. yea somehow it wont load, i might as well remove it since the link i found is gone now

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Forgot the Leo Armor:

Spoiler: show

I like this particular set.

Also be careful. That Fox mage armor clearly shows a new playable race (Viera) according to the people on the BETA forums because of the feet/legs... Wouldn't want to start some crazy speculation thread because of it! /sarcasm

I can't believe some of the shit people say on the BETA forums. Then again that's why there is a thread her on BG about them from not only the 2.0 testing but the 1.0 as well.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Hopefully that PvP armor will be useful outside of PvP as well, because it all looks awesome.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Hopefully that PvP armor will be useful outside of PvP as well, because it all looks awesome.
    I'm hoping they add a transmog option (or FFXI wardrobe) in the soon future so you can use proper PvE gear whilst looking like you have the badass PvP gear on.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arietta Scarlet
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Leo armor is so fucking badass. I'm really curious on how will pvp play on this... why can't it be phase 4 already?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'm pretty certain you can see the PvP arena on the horizon in La Noscea when you look south down the coast. I'll check again on Friday, but ya, it looks a lot like the geographic anomale at the Salt Strand, but much bigger, if I recall correctly.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
    I'm hoping they add a transmog option (or FFXI wardrobe) in the soon future so you can use proper PvE gear whilst looking like you have the badass PvP gear on.
    I'm curious of this as well. Last I read regarding vanity options was that you wouldn't be able to use it on PvP gear but they never mentioned if PvP gear could be used as vanity for PvE gear.

I really hope SE has some decent matchmaking for PvP ranks in mind (ELO type of deal) because the amount of bitching they'll receive when fresh PvPers keep getting matched with seasoned vets that outgear them to the teeth will pretty much kill the scene. I've seen it happen in Tera (though the real problem there is people just being bitches and creating the mess themselves.)

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Im hoping LEO ends up being WAR PvP set (as it looks to be PAL right now) since Lions, imo, are more Offensive than bears.

-fuzz

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Bear -> Russia
    Russia -> Zangief
    Zangief -> Red Cyclone
    Red Cyclone -> Steel Cyclone
    Steel Cyclone -> WAR
    :/

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I hate you, but that logic is so win

-fuzz

Regarding Frontline. Do you know if it'll be based on Personal Grand Company or FC Grand Company? I think it's a dumb idea to make it personal GC based considering that'll make a bunch of people including friends and FC mates enemies.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Owainn View Post
    Regarding Frontline. Do you know if it'll be based on Personal Grand Company or FC Grand Company? I think it's a dumb idea to make it personal GC based considering that'll make a bunch of people including friends and FC mates enemies.
    They said it was GC vs GC vs GC, so unfortunately you'll probably be fighting against friends.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Wow that Leo armor looks amazing. Although it does suck that you may fight one of your friends if they choose a different GC, I like it. It will be fun finding your buddy in a huge battle and then being like "OH SHIT! Must kill my friend!".

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Taintedone1138 View Post
    It will be fun finding your buddy in a huge battle and then being like "OH SHIT! Must kill my friend!".
    I always do this! If you see someone you know it makes it better to kill them because then you can crap talk later. >:D

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Playing Ballista meant you were constantly killing your friends so no biggie for me.