BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    Damnit...is there any decent PvE MMO coming out in the next year?
    Black Desert Online :D

It's not anything like WoW or FFXIV or any other heavily instanced MMO out there, if anything it's VERY similar to FFXI. Open world dungeons, open world raid-bosses, no instancing whatsoever. Think of FFXI and Witcher 3 had a baby. The game just launched and there's no guild that are geared enough to down the world boss atm.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

I'm sorry, but beyond the character creator, Black Desert is one of the worst MMOs ever. It has almost no endgame, at all, and doesn't even focus on traditional PvE content. Now, you could say that is a good thing, but in this case, it's not.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Black Desert could use some ui polish, but it's shaping up to be one of the best mmos ever. Sandbox PVP and sieges are endgame, and a lot of people are having a blast with the life skills/economy content. It is not the mmo most likely for a lot of people here who want ffxi/ffxiv/wow raiding recycled and the occasional instanced battle front. The PVE bosses are there to provided targeted PvP hotspots only. Niche mmos are the future. The great mythical WoW killer will never come and be recreated. A dev also stated it kr/ru with the expanded areas there are something like 10k quests which have still yet to be interacted through. Sorry if anyone is salty cause they suck at action combat PvP, your tears have been delicious in Tera and BDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    I think the MMO genre is dead.
    Stale, yes, but I don't think it's dead. What it ultimately needs is a creator that isn't just out to safely do more of the same.

Raiders need to swallow their pride and acknowledge that they're both a minority demographic and a comparatively higher money sink in the development chain. The whole cycle of needing fixed groups for months on end to meet standardized DPS checks and other unfriendly mechanics needs to go. Groups flounder when someone drops. Some can't even get into the scene because their RL doesn't permit. A lot of people just hate being someone else's bitch because it's the only way to get anything done. Routinely, this translates to like 80-85% of a given game's population never seeing this content while it's fresh. And even with nerfs, cap increases, and other general power creep, sometimes it still remains out of reach. I just can't help but feel resources can be better spent to create more inclusive activities.

Finished gear drops also need to go the way of the dodo, instead making any and all gear outside the most basic of equipment require a crafter to produce, with NPC crafters available as an expensive last resort. Both this and the raider thing would require not being scared shitless of RMT while making certain no material can be monopolized and/or painfully bottlenecked. The skilled or no-lifers may acquire things faster, sure, but no item should technically remain out of reach as long as some modest effort is put forward.

Worlds also need to reflect the (in)activity of players. Monster ecosystems should have a predator/prey relationship between them that players further influence with their own hunting. Let's say you have an area with lots of bugs and a few lizards, if the lizards are consistently killed, they'll spawn less often and you get more bugs. However, if there are too many bugs, perhaps plant-type mobs or even gatherables suffer because you have too many bugs around. It would behoove the players to not kill the lizards for a bit so they could "repopulate" behind the scenes, but they could also take the route of mass insect genocide to try and level things out, too. Yes, I acknowledge a system like this could get complicated and would indeed result in price fluctuations in a craft-only market, but I can't help but feel like it'd inject a feeling of life into a game. Further so if you implemented systems like game wardens where excessive hunters could be taken out by other players until they paid some form or fine or waited out the penalty for the respective area(s).

But that's not really the only way players could change a world. User generated content is also something I feel has a meaty future in the genre, presuming it's easily accessible and not gated behind heavy in-game currency use. When you give people the ability to create their own stories/quest lines, dungeons, and other activities for friends and strangers alike to partake in, you wind up with an experience far more potentially enriching than just raid-logging or min/maxing gear. Basically, we need to put the "role-playing" back into the MMORPG, and I mean as a character and not just a slot in the trinity.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

User generated content within an mmo will exist for 1% actually good storytelling, 3% bad storytelling, 6% pennies, 90% abuse of system for profits. That was a huge selling point of neverwinter and that system hasn't been touched in ages.

Well, yeah, you can't put 1 HP Fafnirs so everyone gets a Ridill. Mobs would either be standard or yield no reward at all, making it more a matter of doing it for fun than profit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7