1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 2 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 21 hours, 8 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 19 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 14 hours, 8 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I like to eat food
    BG Level

They could also remove daggers from GLA completely for launch. Every time one of these kinds of questions were asked they always used the "placeholders" excuse. They could be hiding the fact that they are making GLA Longsword/Broadsword only for launch or later.

My guess is that they will just make some of them [Thief] Arms and some will be Gladiator Arms. I can't imagine they don't make Thief a Class or Job since Yoshi-P has already said they need a class like this as well as it being a staple FF job.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think they could make it so there is more than 2 jobs per class, but I'd imagine they'd at least get to 2 per class before adding a 3rd or more.

I just talked about this a bit on Reddit and here were my thoughts:
    Ninja could be from Pugilist. It's martial arts related, haste based. Just add a few Ninja spells and that's simple.
    Ranger could be from Archer. I don't see why they'd add Thief and then make Ranger out of that maybe other than getting some expansions to sell.
    Dark Knight could be from either Marauder or Gladiator, though I doubt Gladiator since all the base class stuff is tank based.
    Samurai could also be Maruader or maybe Lancer unless they want to focus on the ranged DPS Samurai that was semi popular in FFXI for certain events. Doubtful though.
    Of course this is all speculation so it really means nothing.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    Gladiator has +healing taken, +20% damage reduction, flash, and tons of other enmity based attacks. No way will it turn into a DPS, it's going to be another tank or some hybrid. It has nothing but tanking and damage reduction abilities.
    Easily resolved: "Twisted Soul" or some similarly-named stance is the DRK30 ability. Changes Convalescence to Endrain, Rampart to +damage dealt, Flash into AOE -defense, blah blah.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Okan View Post
    I think they could make it so there is more than 2 jobs per class, but I'd imagine they'd at least get to 2 per class before adding a 3rd or more.
    I'd like to agree with this, but if they keep it to where the only difference between jobs is their cross-class options and their 5 unique abilities, I think most jobs coming from the same class will play... very same-y. I really hope they can find some way to spice it up (one option would be SD's above suggestion, I guess, though it's unfortunate that method would eat up one of the 5 abilities -- I'd really rather them add job 'traits' for that kind of thing). The only reason why SCH/SMN gets a free pass is because their pet commands/behaviors can vary wildly (I assume that's how it works, anyway).

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I really hope they can find some way to spice it up (one option would be SD's above suggestion, I guess, though it's unfortunate that method would eat up one of the 5 abilities -- I'd really rather them add job 'traits' for that kind of thing).
    In effect, that one stance would essentially give you 5+ "new" abilities by itself, so that's a damned good tradeoff.

lol I just read the entire thread title.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sigmakan Kaph
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think MRD is a good example of how that would work. WAR has Defiance, BSK (Berserker) would need a similar ability, lets call it Rampage that reduces HP by 50%, increases damage taken by 30%, removes +enmity from WS, and increases attack by 20%. It would also build wrath from the same set of abilities and WS that WAR does, but berserker would have a different set of moves that utilized the accumulated wrath.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    lol I just read the entire thread title.
    I find it hilarious that they are still trying after 6 years

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

Am I right in thinking that if you level cnj to 50 your whm will also be 50 and vice versa?
    So what happens with Acn, smn and sch? will you only have to level one to 50 to have all three at 50?

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Galkaeater View Post
    Am I right in thinking that if you level cnj to 50 your whm will also be 50 and vice versa?
    So what happens with Acn, smn and sch? will you only have to level one to 50 to have all three at 50?
    Yes

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satu Rhean
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

If it follows how the system works, you would have all 3 at Lv.50 by leveling one. If you have a Lv.50 Gladiator, you'll have a Lv.50 Paladin because they are linked. However, you have to go and quest the Artifact Armor and Job Abilities. So while you have a Lv.50 job you may be lacking all the job abilities until you go quest them. Of course Arcanist is the first class that branches into two jobs. They could throw a curve ball and alter how a branching class levels.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Job level is tied to class level (and vice versa). For example:

- if you have 50 ACN and you complete the SCH job quest, you would also have 50SCH (with all ACN abilities and only 1 SCH ability)
    - if you have 30 ACN and you complete the SMN job quest, then switch to 30SMN and continue leveling to 50, your ACN would also be raised to 50; you would have all ACN abilities, but no additional SMN abilities until you completed more SMN quests

The important takeaway is that classes gain levels/abilities through EXP, while jobs gain abilities/artifact gear through quests.

I would assume unlocking the job gives you the first job ability as it did in 1.0.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

A lot of people still need to grasp the concept that classes are what you level, while jobs are more of a "mode" that slightly changes your available skillset.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    A lot of people still need to grasp the concept that classes are what you level, while jobs are more of a "mode" that slightly changes your available skillset.
    Not trying to troll, but serious question: So when you unlock PLD you simply revert to that instead? What happens if there is more than one job for a class, can you go back and forth or are you forced to commit?

I was under the assumption that you get PLD at level 1 until now.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

You equip jobs in your equip screen. Throw on PLD soul and you're a PLD, take it off and you're a GLD. There's some cross class benefit to not using a job, so in some situations you might prefer the base class, or in Arcanists situation you can swap between SMN/SCH or Arcanist.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso View Post
    Not trying to troll, but serious question: So when you unlock PLD you simply revert to that instead? What happens if there is more than one job for a class, can you go back and forth or are you forced to commit?

I was under the assumption that you get PLD at level 1 until now.
    You equip job stones (soul stones?) and that changes your job within the class.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Classes better for solo play, jobs better for group play is the general feeling I've gotten about the class/job system.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Okay that explains what that slot is used for duh... thanks guys!

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Basically, being on a class allows you to borrow skills you've obtained on any other class. (versatility & survivability)
    Switching over to a job restricts you to only borrowing skills from 2 other classes but grants you access to that job's 5 unique skills. (focused/niche role)

The idea was to make classes better suited for solo play as you would naturally need to borrow as many defensive skills as you could to survive (cure, protect, second wind, featherfoot, etc.) but if the job you're on already has access to plenty of skills to keep you alive, there's little to no reason to not to use the base class.

Question: I forgot to pay attention to it, but do jobs still have an effect on your base attributes?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast