1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 59 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 0 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 1 hours, 59 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 8 hours, 0 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yes, I know. That's my point. Is that the only place they come from?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

As things currently stand, yeah that appears to be the case. That's exactly how it worked in 1.0, and I don't remember anyone complaining. It's no difference than Karakul Fleece.

Now, I think it's currently messed up in that you can -only- obtain the webs from the TTR dungeon (to my knowledge), but if that was fixed, it should be fine.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I didn't play 1.0 for long enough to be able to tell how different it was. But at least so far, in ARR, pretty much every other class seems to have an easily gatherable mid-level (20~30) core material (Silver Ore, Walnut, Bomb Ash, etc.). Weaver seems like the odd man out with Diremite Webs.

It just seems like a weird oversight, especially with the presence of the crafting log, and an expectation that everyone will end up going through like 600 (or more?) of their main resource in that level range. I guess there's nothing to do but wait until release. Maybe it'll be a common drop for all the dungeons in that level range or something.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Leatherworking doesn't get any DoL help. Deal with it.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

^
    Goldsmith too, with some bone mats (haven't seen bat fangs as mineable, but it may be higher than 15). And alchemy with some stuff as well (jellyfish umbrellas and beastkin blood come to mind).
    HQ hides and sinews and all that are possibly going to be a money item since it's entirely up to the random drop system.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satu Rhean
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I'm thinking there will be more places to gather/farm mats at release. There are still zones that are sealed off for Beta. Which means there could be more mining/botanist nodes with items missing from the log.

If you look at the Crafting Log for Carpenter, it's somewhat lacking compared to the log list of other crafting jobs. I'm thinking quite a few Furniture pieces will be added to the log. This could also be true for other crafting jobs as well.

I fiddled around with mining for a bit to see what's changed, is there no way to differentiate between mineral deposits and rocky outcrops when searching for nodes?

I ran around for like 30 mins before I realized I hadn't even used my pickaxe yet because all I could find were quarrying nodes.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

iirc they're different colours on the minimaps, nodes are sparkly yellow and offhand things are light blue

When you use lay of the land it tells you whether it's an outcrop or a deposit, I meant is there a way to look for only deposits or only outcrops.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Oh, no, as far as i can tell it'll take you to the closest gathering point regardless of what it is

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

http://imgur.com/a/kLyKz

I've been pretty busy recently with personal things, but I did manage to get some screenshots of my botany. I was only level 6, but hopefully this might be able to be used to determine some type of gathering skill to success rate equation or something.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I personally found the hot and cold game in 1.0 to be fun, but I'll take this system over the old one any day. Being able to target specific material is <3. Crafting underwent a wonderful redesign as well. I can foresee myself focusing on gathering and crafting instead of leveling multiple classes.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    As things currently stand, yeah that appears to be the case. That's exactly how it worked in 1.0, and I don't remember anyone complaining. It's no difference than Karakul Fleece.

Now, I think it's currently messed up in that you can -only- obtain the webs from the TTR dungeon (to my knowledge), but if that was fixed, it should be fine.
    There's diremites in the open world around Gridania. You can farm up a boatload on any level 50 in a few minutes time.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Monkor View Post
    There's diremites in the open world around Gridania. You can farm up a boatload on any level 50 in a few minutes time.
    You're sure they drop webs? I remember someone complaining that they couldn't get enough and they "searched everywhere". I never bothered to look, but the whole "lack of webs" argument is pointless if you can farm them there.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I've updated my original post here to include mining and botanist points from 1-25. Don't have a legacy so I can't do much more.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    You're sure they drop webs? I remember someone complaining that they couldn't get enough and they "searched everywhere". I never bothered to look, but the whole "lack of webs" argument is pointless if you can farm them there.
    Spent some time farming in Gridania. The Lv10 diremites don't drop anything, you have to farm the Lv25 banemites. Drop rate feels like ~20%. Farmed about 20 in an hour on 21 GLD. Wouldn't call that "a boatload", given you'll probably use about 500~600 of these. Definitely farmable, but getting enough to level on will take a good while.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Anyone having trouble with the ice and earth shards on mining?
    The areas that the game mentions don't even show that there are deposits anywhere...

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso View Post
    Anyone having trouble with the ice and earth shards on mining?
    The areas that the game mentions don't even show that there are deposits anywhere...
    ATM, seems you need to do both Botany and Mining to easily get the full range of shards available in Shroud and Thanalan.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yeah those two are easily found in level 5 botanist spots in shroud.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Hey there all you DoL fans! I come bearing data!

I've tested every gathering value from 231 to 296, and included a few of my data points that aren't consecutive in case that helps someone else down the road.

The following testing is done by a Lv50 Botanist at a Lv45 Lush Vegetation.

Code:
    Lv45 (Dart Frog)      - 65    | 66    | 68    | 70    | 72    | 73    |    75   |    77   |    79   |    80   |    82   |    84   |    86   |    87   |    89   |    91   | 93    | 94    | 96    | 98    |
    Lv44 (Rolanberry)     - 66    | 68    | 70    | 72    | 73    | 75    |    77   |    79   |    80   |    82   |    84   |    86   |    87   |    89   |    91   |    93   | 94    | 96    | 98    | 100   |
    Lv43 (ESTIMATION)     - 68    | 70    | 72    | 73    | 75    | 77    |    79   |    80   |    82   |    84   |    86   |    87   |    89   |    91   |    93   |    94   | 96    | 98    | 100   | 100   |
    Lv42 (Black Scorpion) - 70    | 72    | 73    | 75    | 77    | 79    |    80   |    82   |    84   |    86   |    87   |    89   |    91   |    93   |    94   |    96   | 98    | 100   | 100   | 100   |
    Lv41 (Sagolii Sage)   - 72    | 73    | 75    | 77    | 79    | 80    |    82   |    84   |    86   |    87   |    89   |    91   |    93   |    94   |    96   |    98   | 100   | 100   | 100   | 100   |
    Gathering Stat        - 192   | EST   | EST   | EST   | 219   | EST   | ???~233 | 234~240 | 241~247 | 248~254 | 255~261 | 262~269 | 270~276 | 277~284 | 285~291 | 292~??? | 301   | 314   | EST   | 324   |

Minimum Tested Consecutive Value  - 231
    Maximum Tested Consecutive Value  - 296
    EST means the column was not explicitly tested, and is estimated on the surrounding info.
    There was no Lv43 item available at the testing point, so its row values have all been estimated.
    The Earth Shard present had a 100% success rate at all tested gathering values.
    Yes, every value between each "~" has the exact same success rate for all items.
    No, at no point was I ever able to get a success rate of 76, 78, 81, etc. for any item.
    You'll notice that for every item, they always go 75 > 77 > 79 > 80 > 82 > 84 > 86 > 87 > 89 > etc.

If I had to guess what's going on based on my data so far, it seems that there's a set ladder of success values, and you go up a rung on the ladder for all items every +x points of gathering, and for every level of an item, you go down a tier. I was originally going to say that for every +7 gathering, you go up a tier, but for some reason the 277~284 gathering block is a span of 8 gathering, so there must be some small variations from time to time, but you should get the general gist of how gathering success rates work from this data.

Cross-posted on the DoL site as well.