1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 49 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 10 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 16 hours, 49 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 17 hours, 10 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Gathering Class Discussion for ARR.

(Information is based on stats and systems in Beta Phase 3. It's possible Phase 4 or retail could bring significant changes. Post will be updated as needed.)

The goal of this guide will be two-fold. It's intended to be general information to help any player get started and understand the gathering system in FFXIV, but it is also focused on helping players of 1.0 transition to the new system. I expect much of the information here will lean towards the later, and as such often presumes a player is coming into ARR with an already-leveled gathering class and basic knowledge of how the system worked in 1.0.

A lot of the time I’ll put things in from the standpoint of Miner, but everything applies to Botanist as well. For those unaware, Fishing will be significantly different from the other two DoL in ARR.

In general, gathering is simplified but more heavily stat/gear/math based. It is significantly easier to target specific items, quantity or quality depending on which abilities you choose to use. GP regeneration time is the biggest determining factor in gathering productivity.

Stats Overhaul

Equipment from 1.0 will have different stats and sometimes a slightly different name as well. It's possible a piece of gear may no longer have any DoL-relevant stats. Overall it is pretty straightforward... higher level gear always has more of the relevant stat for that slot.

Here are the stats for DoL:

Gathering – Chances of obtaining an item.

Perception – Probability of finding HQ items.

GP – Points used to trigger abilities. GP regens slowly outside of gathering, taking about 1 minute to regen 100 GP. A small amount regens during gathering after each successful swing/chain (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5).

Base Stats – While STR and MND do not seem to have any direct effect on the gathering process, I have seen Gathering Point Characteristics that use STR and MND to trigger a bonus. It also looks as if the MIN and BOT classes have switched their use of STR and VIT.

Abilities Overhaul

Abilities cost GP to use and GP regenerates slowly over time. Just a point of reference, in my 1.0 gear I have 480 GP. Some abilities have cost of 300-500 GP.

Prospect: Must be on to see gathering points both on the map and in the game world. There's an ability that makes this automatic when switching to the class. Seems a little strange to be a toggle-able ability, but whatever.

Lay of the Land (I/II): V1 of this ability shows you the closest gathering point within your level range and puts it on your mini-map for a short period of time. V2 shows you the highest level gathering point you can use in the zone.

Sharp Vision (I/II/III): Increases the chance of a successful gather for the remainder of that gathering point.

Stealth: Same as in 1.0. Reduces movement speed but lets you avoid enemy aggro.

Preparation: Shows you the how much perception is needed to start having a chance at HQ items.

Unearth: (I/II): Increases the chance of gathering an HQ item. Doesn't work if base chance for HQ is 0%.

[Guardian's] Ward: Increases the yield of shards (specific wards for specific elements). Traits extend this to also work on crystals and clusters at higher levels. Miner gets water/fire/lightning wards. Botanist gets earth/ice/wind.

Deep Vigor: Increases gathering success rate to 100%, but only useable after chain 5. It would take a bonus characteristic or use of Solid Reason to have any practical effect.

Solid Reason: Grants an additional gathering attempt at the current gathering point.

King's Yield (I/II): Increases the yield by 1 or 2 at that gathering point.

Toil of the Mountaineer: ???????

Materia Overhaul

Gear from 1.0 will give around 12-15 materia slots. Materia can add Gathering, Perception and GP. Technically STR and MND could also be used to hit Characteristic bonuses, but I’m doubting that will ever be a serious strategy.

Tiers I-V of Gathering and Perception give 3/4/5/8/10. GP is 1/2/3/4/5. This means you could add around 150 Gathering, 150 Perception or 75 GP to your base stats before trying forbidden melding. At the moment I’m not seeing a great use for GP materia when the returns are so low.

Gathering Point Characteristics

Many gathering points have a target stat listed under them, and reaching that target grants a small bonus to gathering rate, HQ rate, or number of attempts.

Bonuses I’ve seen at the highest level nodes are Gathering at 264, Perception at 264 and STR at 211. In addition to gathering stats or base stats, elemental resistance can also trigger a bonus.

These bonuses come from traits that are learned between levels 11 and 26.

Miscellaneous Notes

• 6 hits exhaust the node.
    • Regain 20 GP over the course of 6 hits.
    • Gathering Log gives a full list of what can be gathered from which zones.
    • For class quests, you can buy the mats. You don’t have to actually gather them yourself.
    • Once you get to level 10 items, they will be “hidden” (only a 10% chance to gather) until you are successful the first time. Then their rates will be normal.
    • Zoning seems to reset/randomize the nodes.
    • Hamlet headpieces have really good perception and two materia slots.
    • HQ rate seems to cap at 15% before abilities or bonus.
    • Zones have multiple areas within that zone that have different levels of gathering points, each with different loot lists.
    • Each gathering area may have approximately 4-8 gathering points, a portion of which will be active. Exhausting a node immediately causes another of the points to become active. Each of these areas are very small and usually falls completely within your mini-map.
    • There is a sizable XP bonus given the first time you gather a particular item, adding it to your Gathering Log.
    • Chaining gathering attempts give bonus XP. The higher the chain, the higher the bonus. There's a large additional bonus for gathering an HQ item. [ Data from Rocl ]
    • You should be able to gather from a gathering point 5 levels above your currently level.

Statistical Breakdown

This section is educated guesses based on limited testing.

PERCEPTION: Every item has a perception threshold that needs to be reached to have any chance to gather an HQ item. Preparation, a level 12 ability, shows you this number in the gathering interface. Reaching that number gives you a 1% chance at an HQ item. As your perception increases over that, the HQ chance goes up. It appears to cap at 15% before abilities or characteristics are factored in. It looks to take 100 perception over the Preparation number to hit the 15% cap. These values seem to be predetermined based on the items level, going up roughly 6-7 points per level of the item. (Tested between levels 36-50).

GATHERING: The chance to gather an item is a function of the items level versus your gathering skill. It appears character level has no effect in this equation. Unfortunately the game does not give us a base number like it does for Perception.

With 271 Gathering skill, the level 50 ogre horn has a 72% success rate. Items level 40 and below have a 100% success rate.

Back to the level 50 ogre horn, here’s a chart showing how different gathering stats change the success percentage. There does appear to be a sweet spot for increasing success followed by diminishing returns.

Some random thoughts on specific equipment…

Pick of the Luminary: Luminary should add about 8% success rate compared to next best gear OR about 3% to HQ rate (assuming the comparable materia is committed to the Cobalt Dolabra).

Hamlet Digger’s Helmet: Adds about 2% to HQ rate compared to next best gear

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Reserving for future use.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Reserving for future use.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Can this be "Gathering Class Discussion" eventually just like the old one? xd
    I've been leveling Botanist this beta (since it's the only DoL I can gain EXP on this beta)

bonus exp the first time you gather a particular item
    a sizable bonus is awarded for the "first" gather adding it to your log (at lv26 on lv30 nodes this is approx 700exp)

- chance to gather successfully "capped" at 25% until you are the level of the item
    I'm pretty sure I've seen items higher level than me at ~50-60%, but I'll have to doublecheck

Edit: Here we go! Lv26 Jade Peas (same lvl) is 74%(HQ6%); Lv27 Wizard Eggplant (+1) is 67% (HQ4%); Lv28 Midland Cabbage (+2) is 60% (HQ3%); Lv30 Moor Leech (+4) is 37% with no gathering bonuses whatsoever (one of the blank nodes) and my HQ rate on the leech is 1%

- not every node in an area has the exact same items
    how do you mean this? like harvesting points NE of Bentbranch have Marjoram or w/e but harvesting points NW of Bentbranch only have Cotton

Also of note, each successful gather gives you an exp bonus chain: chain0 = +0%; chain1 = +2%; chain2 = +3%; chain3 = +4%; chain4 = +5%; chain5 = +200% iirc, something along those lines chain4 might even be 50%...

ah. also when you gather a HQ item it's another bonus of something like +100% exp

Okay, so gathering Sticky Rice (Lv25) on my Lv26 Botanist gives me 120 base exp. Chain 0 is no bonus; Chain 1 is 5%, Chain 2 is 10%, Chain 3 is 15%, Chain 4 is 20%, and Chain 5 is 50%. Gathering a HQ item gives you a straight bonus of +200% in addition to any Chain bonus. (So gathering a HQ rice on Chain 1 gives me 367exp [+205%])

Trying to find stuff higher level than me, but Chamomile (Lv24) is 114 base exp; Pixie Plums (Lv21) are 94 base exp but Chains are 5%, 9%, 14%, 20%, 49% which is weird. HQ Gathers were still +200% though.

Jade Peas (Lv26) give me 127 base exp; Wizard Eggplant (Lv27) gives 133 base exp; Midland Cabbage (Lv28) gives me 139 base exp; Moor Leech (Lv30) gives me 165 base exp.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    Can this be "Gathering Class Discussion" eventually just like the old one? xd
    Mod-signal lit! (PM sent to Kuro).

a sizable bonus is awarded for the "first" gather adding it to your log (at lv26 on lv30 nodes this is approx 700exp)
    Thanks, I don't have any classes I can get XP on unless I start a new character.

I'm pretty sure I've seen items higher level than me at ~50-60%, but I'll have to doublecheck
    OK, that was a change from earlier phases. Removed that whole bit.

how do you mean this? like harvesting points NE of Bentbranch have Marjoram or w/e but harvesting points NW of Bentbranch only have Cotton
    It used to be that even within a small gathering area you'd see maybe 4 of the 6 available items at any particular node. Looks like they changed that and I removed that section.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Awesome, I'm trying to find high level trees to chop down instead of bushes to whack. It's worth noting that Botanist uses DEX for mainhand nodes now instead of STR, but still uses INT for offhand nodes. Based on your post Miner uses STR for mainhand nodes too now, so it looks like we went from:

Miner VIT/MND -> STR/MND
    Botany STR/INT -> DEX/INT
    Fisher DEX/PIE -> no1curr (VIT/PIE? lol)

Since it's safe now, I would just like to say that in 1.0 Perception/HQ stat (MND) had no cap and while I know you all thought it did, it was nice gathering up 2-3x as many +1's.

mine5eva

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

There also nodes which base gathering attempts off of your elemental resistance. This tree has Wind ≥ 135 gathering yield+1; however my Wind Resist isn't high enough to proc this. Of note this tree doesn't have Wind Crystals gatherable but others in the area do.

Wind Crystals are Lv26 and gave the same EXP and gathering rate as Jade Peas (also Lv26) though no HQ chance obviously. This also made me check something else I hadn't bothered before: Off-hand and Mainhand stats are cumulative. Removing my offhand lowers my successful gather rate% on mainhand nodes (by approx 10% in fact, ftr my offhand has +20gathering)--in addition it does appear there is some variance in certain areas.

These Lv30 mature trees only have Dark Matter, Shards and Crystals, however some trees are 2x matter or shards in lieu of Crystals etc.

Unknown items appear to be capped at ~10% before abilities/node bonuses.

Discovering a Lv21 item granted 380xp, a lv23 gave 428xp, and a lv24 gave 456xp, a lv29 gave 600 and a lv30 gave 684xp

EDIT: Oh god lol, so this is how you're supposed to level up gathering classes.... I just ran into a Twin Adder Levemate at Camp Tranquil and looked at the Provisioning Missions one of which was Sticky Rice. Considering I had a few of those to give, I gave her 10 NQ for a total of 9346exp and 125 flame seals. The mission however, disappeared, so I'm unsure if it's repeatable or I have to wait the 16 hours it says at the bottom.

A level 25 leve cranked up to 29 gave me approx 25k or so at lv27, which is approx 1/5th of my tnl

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Ok so I spent most of this weekend playing Botanist and I made up these maps with all the harvesting/logging spots I can find. I only got to level 19 so I can only see spots up to level 20. I think I might have missed a couple of level 20 spots. If anybody knows of one that I missed, please let me know.

Hopefully these are helpful for people looking for specific items to harvest so they know where to go.

Edit: Got to level 21 of each Botanist and Miner. Added maps that show all botanist and mining spots from 1-25.

Spoilerd for huge

Central Shroud:

Spoiler: show

North Shroud:

East Shroud:

South Shroud:

Lower La Noscea:

Middle La Noscea:

Western La Noscea:

Upper La Noscea:

Western Thanalan:

Central Thanalan:

Eastern Thanalan:

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satu Rhean
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Beautiful guide so far.

Based on the data it seems that ~271 is the target for Gathering, anymore and you're not showing that much improvement. However, you're also saying that Perception can cap at 15%, before abilities are activated. Does Perception alter how much of an increase abilities give? Or are the abilities set HQ% increase gains?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Reve View Post
    Beautiful guide so far.

Based on the data it seems that ~271 is the target for Gathering, anymore and you're not showing that much improvement. However, you're also saying that Perception can cap at 15%, before abilities are activated. Does Perception alter how much of an increase abilities give? Or are the abilities set HQ% increase gains?
    1) Don't count your chickens yet. There will probably be items over level 50 to gather (cocoons for Vanya, for example), once release comes around.
    2) All abilities that increase HQ rate increase by static amounts, but I haven't touched DoL since Phase 2, so someone correct me if that's changed. The ability descriptions are pretty clear on how much they increase things by.

I think he's asking if abilities add a flat increase or if they're based on your current HQ rate.

ie. If your HQ rate is 10% does an ability that gives +50% HQ rate give you

10 * 1.5 = 15% (multiplier)

or

10 + 50 = 60% (flat rate)

The descriptions don't really specify that and it's made more ambiguous by the fact that they don't work when your HQ rate is 0.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

In Phase 2 it was flat; I can't speak for Phase 3, but I doubt it's changed. If it wasn't flat, then using that ability would be a fat waste of GP.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Correct, it's flat increase. With your base chance (up to 15%), a bonus characteristic (10%), and Unearth II, you raise the HQ rate to 75%. And that's great, but you'll be waiting at least 4 minutes for enough GP to do that again.

Based on the data it seems that ~271 is the target for Gathering
    That's just the highest stats I could reach with my gear from 1.0. That should push up to a 100% success rate (unless there's a cap, but since character level doesn't seem to be a factor I doubt it), but with somewhat diminished returns as you go up. If I had to guess that would be somewhere in the 380-ish range. Also, as Raldo said, we could have up to level 55 items in the game come release which are going to be a decent chunk harder to obtain.

Unrelated, does anyone have any good suggestions for chart-making? I can use Excel at work, but then at home OpenOffice really mucks with the layout.

In that case I foresee no shortage of HQ items.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    In that case I foresee no shortage of HQ items.
    That's potentially a real concern, although I'd find it hard to believe the dev's don't have something in mind to keep it from getting out of hand. We'll see how the success rates hold up as they put in higher level items and if the formula is linear or not. If needed they could also adjust GP cost and regen rates for balance, too.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Great stuff. Thanks for this Jamison and others. This thread was invaluable during 1.0

Well crafted gear seems pretty terrible so it doesn't really matter if you have terrible+1 or just nq terrible.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satu Rhean
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I played around a bit with Crafting and the way that it's setup; it might be good that HQ mats are easier to find. The higher level recipes required a high amount of Quality for a HQ synth. Even using all HQ mats, you still had a ways to go for a high chance at HQ. SE might have made it easy to obtain HQ mats, but conversely harder to turn them into HQ Items at high levels. Quite a bit of skill involved in Crafting.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I played around a bit with Crafting and the way that it's setup; it might be good that HQ mats are easier to find. The higher level recipes required a high amount of Quality for a HQ synth. Even using all HQ mats, you still had a ways to go for a high chance at HQ. SE might have made it easy to obtain HQ mats, but conversely harder to turn them into HQ Items at high levels. Quite a bit of skill involved in Crafting.
    ^
    And Mend is expensive, and you only have so much CP and Durability to work with.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast