+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Old classic for those who've been sheltered their whole lives and never heard this track.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Tl:dw for others: The imaginary country of Wakanda and its economy are imaginary.
    Pre-face: I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, as I do all Marvel films, so don't take this like it's some dig on marvel or something stupid, but...

The video highlights an important point. I can't tell you how many institutions are propping up Black Panther as the ideal depiction of a racially pure, well-to do black society, that black people can finally be proud to go see. That idea is a total farce, as the video, and others, have pointed out. By all means, go out and enjoy the movie (as will I), point out the performance of an almost all black acting cast, with a huge, big budget, but making Wakanda out to be the ideal black society is a really bad thing.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I don't think anyone looks at Wakanda as the ideal black society. Wakanda represents what we idealize an ideal society to be, and it turns out they're arrogant fucks who despise outsiders (Gee, I wonder who that sounds like).

What it took was a good leader who realized it's a shitty way to live, and that being powerful and prosperous endows you a responsibility to take care of those who need it. In this case, Wakanda basically said "yea no fuck all non-Wakandans" even though there were African "brothers" who probably could have used some help.

It wasn't an ideal black society, otherwise Killmonger wouldn't have had such a valid point about their hubris. Instead, people wish they could be in Wakanda because it represents the pinnacle of human achievement, led by a person who becomes a humane ruler that has a sense of responsibility to take care of the world instead of stay isolated from it.

But please, keep going on about how this represents the dreams and desires of blacks who wish they could live there.

*EVERYONE* wishes they could live there, because it's where we should be aspiring to be and (well other than Vibranium) where we could be if we weren't such selfish fucks.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I think the ideal part is that it's a modern (even futuristic) society that hasn't abandoned it's cultural roots.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

^ that, plus that Africans that didn't have to deal with colonialism were able to create said modern society.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

One thing that has bothered me..

In Civil War after T'Challa's father is killed he immediately goes after Bucky then later joins up with Tony's team to fight Cap and their side.

In Black Panther it makes it look like he goes back to Wakandan right away to be crowned King. So he would have had to go back home real quick, then have all the events of the movie take place while CW is still going on, then come back and finish Civil War? lol It's been awhile sinse I watched CW so I would have watch it again to be sure.

BG Level

What gives you the impression Black Panther takes place in the middle of Civil War? Seems pretty clear cut it takes place a week after at the earliest.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    One thing that has bothered me..

In Civil War after T'Challa's father is killed he immediately goes after Bucky then later joins up with Tony's team to fight Cap and their side.

In Black Panther it makes it look like he goes back to Wakandan right away to be crowned King. So he would have had to go back home real quick, then have all the events of the movie take place while CW is still going on, then come back and finish Civil War? lol It's been awhile sinse I watched CW so I would have watch it again to be sure.
    Civil War took place over the course of a few days. Black Panther probably started immediately after the sequence with Cap.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Movie was great. Every side character was developed and enjoyable. Would go back and watch again if I wasn't cheap lol.

I'm surprised Cap left the country within a day or two thugh and didn't hang around for the coronation ritual or anything. Or to just wait until Bucky felt better and then leave together lol.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Cap wouldn't be one to just sit around, and there was no indication of how long it would take to fix Bucky's mind.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Sure. But they didn't exactly have anywhere else to go just that minute lol.

BG Level

I half expected Cap to jump in and save the CIA agent when he was getting shot at while piloting the hologram.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Spoiler: show
    Man I hope they find some way to handwave Killmonger dying because I'd love to see him come back for a Thunderbolts movie with Zemo.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Man I hope they find some way to handwave Killmonger dying because I'd love to see him come back for a Thunderbolts movie with Zemo.
    I feel like they made a huge mistake in killing him. I thought for sure they'd be like "okay well too bad we're saving you, but we won't lock you up" to make the whole thing about not abandoning your people come full circle.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Also traditionally Man-Ape is one of Black Panther's oldest villains but the internet is going nuts for M'Baku.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Also traditionally Man-Ape is one of Black Panther's oldest villains but the internet is going nuts for M'Baku.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    'cause he had one of the best lines.

Also:
    Infinity War means if Marvel really wanted to they could bring back any of the dead villains via stone shenanigans. I mean, these movies are based on comics. Where people get reincarnated through handwavey bullshit all the time.

P.sure Killmonger's gone for good though. Gotta get our mileage on iconic villains.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

M'Baku's portrayal by Winston Duke was excellent from a Nigerian perspective.

He almost 1:1 portrayed a bush boy/man from the Igbo tribe. Dude could seriously could be my uncle, haha.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alistaire View Post
    I'm legit teary eyed right now LOLOLOLOL!