+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Ernie Hudson does not get enough work this is awesome!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Geopolitical Action Adventure, Linked to Infinity War
    “This one is important,” said Feige of the Black Panther movie, which will be the last “Phase Three” movie before Marvel’s two-part Avengers: Infinity War event. “Not only do you get an unbelievable lead character, but you also get all of Wakanda which is a whole new setting and culture to explore.” And while Creed director Ryan Coogler is in line to direct, Kevin Feige assures Black Panther will have a “primarily African-American cast.” As for what the movie will be about, the Marvel producer says, “It's a big geo-political action adventure that focuses on the family and royal struggle of T'Challa in Wakanda, and what is means to be a king. T'Challa's story is very important to us as it links to the next Avengers films, which is why we brought it forward.”
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=129391

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Ryan Coogler (Creed) selected to Direct
    http://marvel.com/news/movies/25616/...inkId=20280214

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

And take my money in 3.. 2.. 1..

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

It's such a shame Universal has a similar situation to the Hulk going on with Namor. Wakanda and Atlantis went to war in the comics a few years ago, and I would love seeing the Black Panther vs. Namor on the big screen.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Do they own actual name or the fact that he's referred to as Mutant? I'm so confused with who owns what character in Marvelverse. Also, I was rewatching The First Avenger before rewatching Agent Carter, and I never noticed that Paramount produced that film. When did Disney actually come in to play with MCU?

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Day 1. Diehard Rocky fan and Creed was amazing to me. Fruitvale station was also another great movie.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus View Post
    Do they own actual name or the fact that he's referred to as Mutant? I'm so confused with who owns what character in Marvelverse. Also, I was rewatching The First Avenger before rewatching Agent Carter, and I never noticed that Paramount produced that film. When did Disney actually come in to play with MCU?
    Somewhere around Iron Man 2 or 3 was Disney purchase and distribution deals. Paramount got the first movies, and it was done by Avengers.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus View Post
    Fox owns the rights to any Mutant characters - hence Marvel editorial saying "No More Mutants" and ushering in the House of Inhuman. Universal still has Namor's distribution rights. Marvel has no plans to make a Sub-Mariner movie, so they're not making any moves to get the rights back. It's too bad, because he had such a great presence and important role in comics starting from the Illuminati series and up through Secret Wars, so he's definitely fresh in the minds of comic fans. I guess they just don't think he has the kind of name recognition it takes to bring in the box office, like Ant-Man or the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Anyway, it would be great to see him in the future, and his animosity with the Black Panther would fit right in with their geo-political thriller slant.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

ZEALOT WELCOME BACK

BG Level

o thank u Tyven

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    hence Marvel editorial saying "No More Mutants" and ushering in the House of Inhuman
    Holy fuck will people stop with this bullshit rumor. Marvel still has more X-Men books than Inhuman books and its been at least two years since people started spreading this rumor.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, I doubt Marvel as a publisher would ever get rid of Mutants. I understand them thinning the herd, as they did in House of M, but to completely get rid of them would be dumb. The logical explanation for increase in Inhuman books would most likely be a marketing move to push Disney MCU on the forefront. Personally, I fucking hate when writers are forced to axe the characters due to financial/inter-company political reasons. When I was younger, I paid very little mind to such things and just enjoyed the books, but when I began to realize how much of that bullshit tends to direct the stories, shit turned me away from a lot of the content I used to love.

A Namor movie would play well into current environmental awareness/trend that's been on the forefront of political/social discussion imo. It couldn't be worse than the message 2012 gave us, that's for sure. (probably a bad example of a popular trend)

BG Level

It's not a rumor. You're reading too far into what I said. There is an actual edict from Marvel editorial not to create any more mutants and they have twice now instituted in-universe explanations for why that is (Scarlet Witch, now Terrigan Mists). Inhumanity has made Inhumans start popping up everywhere instead. The reason is that any "mutant" characters automatically become available for Fox to use in movies, and Disney doesn't want that. There are still X-Books because Marvel isn't dumb, they still intend to make as much money as they can on popular characters. The next major arc planned involves Apocalypse returning, because obviously.

I think you're referencing the popular opinion that Marvel is purposely sabotaging the X-titles in favor of Inhumans, which may or may not be true. The absolute fact of the matter, though, is that Marvel is currently set against making any new mutants for as long as Fox is making New Mutants.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wasn't it explained somewhere, that Mutant gene was an evolutionary response of the human gene to counteract the Kree machinations of the human genome? If not, that would be an interesting story arc to see!

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

It's not a rumor. You're reading too far into what I said. There is an actual edict from Marvel editorial not to create any more mutants and they have twice now instituted in-universe explanations for why that is (Scarlet Witch, now Terrigan Mists). Inhumanity has made Inhumans start popping up everywhere instead. The reason is that any "mutant" characters automatically become available for Fox to use in movies, and Disney doesn't want that. There are still X-Books because Marvel isn't dumb, they still intend to make as much money as they can on popular characters. The next major arc planned involves Apocalypse returning, because obviously.

I think you're referencing the popular opinion that Marvel is purposely sabotaging the X-titles in favor of Inhumans, which may or may not be true. The absolute fact of the matter, though, is that Marvel is currently set against making any new mutants for as long as Fox is making New Mutants.
    But they still have created new mutants...

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    But they still have created new mutants...
    Alright, if you want to do this.

2005 - House of M. At its conclusion, the Scarlet Witch says "No More Mutants." Millions of mutants around the globe are depowered. 198 "known" mutants are left (though we see through comics such as Avengers: Initiative that other mutants like Typhoid Mary are still powered, just not included on the "official" list).

Following House of M, Beast is seen consulting with the greatest minds of the Marvel Universe, human and mutant, hero and villain, to try and restart the mutant gene. He is finally told by the High Evolutionary that mutants are a dead-end and it is hopeless to pursue them further.

2007 - Messiah Complex. Hope is born, the first new mutant to be created by Marvel in the span from House of M to present. There are no new mutants from between 2005 and 2007 except Hope.

2008 - Iron Man is released and makes almost $600M, launching the MCU.

2009 - Second Coming. The culmination of the Hope storyline. Hope discovers her powers (she can mimic the powers of any mutant she is in close proximity to) and destroys Bastion and his Nimrod Sentinels. Following her X-gene activating, 5 more mutants suddenly manifest (the "Five Lights"). These are Transonic, Velocidad, Primal, Oya, and Zero, the first actual new "mutants" since 2005 (excluding Hope). A "sixth light" whose powers manifest in vitro has its x-gene suppressed by Hope at birth due to the danger of its powers, another mutant who manifests commits suicide immediately afterwards. Zero turns on the team and is killed (now down to 4 new mutants, excluding Hope).

This same year, Disney buys Marvel.

2010 - Iron Man 2 debuts, out-grossing the original.

2011 - Thor debuts to the tune of $443M worldwide, Captain America: The First Avenger makes another $370M.

2012 - AvX. The Phoenix comes for Hope. A terrible throwaway story designed to make more Avengers titles ensues. At the conclusion, the Phoenix is destroyed but new mutants - the first new mutants since 2005 besides the Lights - begin appearing all over the globe.

Despite this, the only new additions to the mutant world were in the form of Cyclops's New Xavier School (exactly four actual new named mutants that became ongoing characters - Tempus, Triage, Goldballs, and a new Morph).

This same year, The Avengers movie debuts and becomes the third-highest grossing film of all time, earning over $1.5B worldwide. This is important BECAUSE -

2013 - One year after the Avengers movie crushes the box office, Marvel publishes "Inhumanity" and changes the status quo. This was because of a deliberate change in direction pushed on Marvel by the movie division to halt the creation of mutant characters in favor of Inhumans, because they could potentially use Inhumans in film.

2014 - Marvel confirms an Inhumans film is coming.

2015 - Avengers: Age of Ultron makes another $1.4B, concluding Phase Two of the MCU.

Fantastic Four, the first superhero Team made by Marvel, is cancelled, with low sales cited as the reason. Internal sources say Isaac Perlmudder was so upset at Fox's refusal to return the movie rights that he determined the comic would be cancelled rather than relaunched or given a new creative team. All artwork featuring the Fantastic Four is removed from Marvel promotional material.

Post-Secret Wars, it is confirmed that the Terrigan Mists which create new Inhumans all over the world (and the new Inhumans are facing intolerance, fear, bigotry, etc, etc., yet fighting for a world which fears them!) also suppressed the X-Gene so no new mutants will ever manifest, sterilized all existing mutants so that they can't have children that could possibly be mutants, and also started a disease called M-Pox that is killing off existing mutants. It is also revealed that Reed Richards and Cyclops are both dead.

The Inhumans also get a new title - The Uncanny Inhumans.

They have created a few new mutant characters in the past decade. However, the only thing saving X-books from cancellation is that they remain popular and no one at Marvel values vindictiveness over cash. That said, however, they will not be creating any more mutant characters for the foreseeable future and have barely made any (even most of those they have are already gone from comics, including Hope) in the past decade. The movies are a multi-billion dollar industry and Marvel doesn't want a penny of it going to other companies (they will still gladly profit off of movies they can't stop, see: upcoming Apocalypse War storyline to coincide with the Age of Apocalypse movie). Furthermore, while there are certainly a lot of X-Men ongoings, there are fewer mutant-headed ongoings now than at any point since 1991 (Extraordinary X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, All-New Wolverine, and All-New X-Men, if you don't include Deadpool titles) and at the same time there are 3 Inhuman ongoings (Uncanny Inhumans, All-New Inhumans, and Karnak), more than...any time ever.

So yes, Marvel is pushing the Inhumans and trying to take the focus off of mutants (see: recent absolute nonsense revision of the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver), and it is because of the movies.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Disagree and incur the wrath of wall o text via Zealot

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

2012 - AvX. The Phoenix comes for Hope. A terrible throwaway story designed to make more Avengers titles ensues. At the conclusion, the Phoenix is destroyed but new mutants - the first new mutants since 2005 besides the Lights - begin appearing all over the globe.

Despite this, the only new additions to the mutant world were in the form of Cyclops's New Xavier School (exactly four actual new named mutants that became ongoing characters - Tempus, Triage, Goldballs, and a new Morph).
    Also, new mutants began to appear in Wolverine and the X-Men, including Shark-Girl and Mudbug

Fantastic Four, the first superhero Team made by Marvel, is cancelled, with low sales cited as the reason. Internal sources say Isaac Perlmudder was so upset at Fox's refusal to return the movie rights that he determined the comic would be cancelled rather than relaunched or given a new creative team. All artwork featuring the Fantastic Four is removed from Marvel promotional material.
    Except that Fantastic Four (and Doom) continue to play a huge role in the Marvel Universe. In fact, Secret Wars is effectively a Fantastic Four story. Post-Secret Wars we still have the Thing, Johnny Storm, and Doom playing roles in the Marvel Universe.

Post-Secret Wars, it is confirmed that the Terrigan Mists which create new Inhumans all over the world (and the new Inhumans are facing intolerance, fear, bigotry, etc, etc., yet fighting for a world which fears them!) also suppressed the X-Gene so no new mutants will ever manifest, sterilized all existing mutants so that they can't have children that could possibly be mutants, and also started a disease called M-Pox that is killing off existing mutants. It is also revealed that Reed Richards and Cyclops are both dead.

Still, no confirmation that the M-Pox thing will be forever (in fact, likely won't). Marvel hating Fox properties really is nothing more than clickbaity at this point.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I knew I read something to that end somewhere, even though i got my assumption backwards. Speaking of Secret Wars, is it a worthwhile read? I know it's supposed to be one of those all engrossing story arcs that's written for the purposes of restructuring entire Marvel book-verse, but is it good as a story?