+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Alright, if you're not convinced yet I'm not going to continue this in a Black Panther thread. As long as you enjoy the comics I suppose that's all that matters.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    the only thing saving X-books from cancellation is that they remain popular
    So the same as literally every other comic book.

BG Level

Plenty of books have faced low sales and never been cancelled because the company decided the character was too enduring. Instead they get new creative teams or do something else to shake it up. X-Men, Spider-Man, Captain America, Avengers, and Fantastic Four included - they've all been sales losers and still been kept running.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Alright, if you want to do this.

2005 - House of M. At its conclusion, the Scarlet Witch says "No More Mutants." Millions of mutants around the globe are depowered. 198 "known" mutants are left (though we see through comics such as Avengers: Initiative that other mutants like Typhoid Mary are still powered, just not included on the "official" list).

Following House of M, Beast is seen consulting with the greatest minds of the Marvel Universe, human and mutant, hero and villain, to try and restart the mutant gene. He is finally told by the High Evolutionary that mutants are a dead-end and it is hopeless to pursue them further.

2007 - Messiah Complex. Hope is born, the first new mutant to be created by Marvel in the span from House of M to present. There are no new mutants from between 2005 and 2007 except Hope.

2008 - Iron Man is released and makes almost $600M, launching the MCU.

2009 - Second Coming. The culmination of the Hope storyline. Hope discovers her powers (she can mimic the powers of any mutant she is in close proximity to) and destroys Bastion and his Nimrod Sentinels. Following her X-gene activating, 5 more mutants suddenly manifest (the "Five Lights"). These are Transonic, Velocidad, Primal, Oya, and Zero, the first actual new "mutants" since 2005 (excluding Hope). A "sixth light" whose powers manifest in vitro has its x-gene suppressed by Hope at birth due to the danger of its powers, another mutant who manifests commits suicide immediately afterwards. Zero turns on the team and is killed (now down to 4 new mutants, excluding Hope).

This same year, Disney buys Marvel.

2010 - Iron Man 2 debuts, out-grossing the original.

2011 - Thor debuts to the tune of $443M worldwide, Captain America: The First Avenger makes another $370M.

2012 - AvX. The Phoenix comes for Hope. A terrible throwaway story designed to make more Avengers titles ensues. At the conclusion, the Phoenix is destroyed but new mutants - the first new mutants since 2005 besides the Lights - begin appearing all over the globe.

Despite this, the only new additions to the mutant world were in the form of Cyclops's New Xavier School (exactly four actual new named mutants that became ongoing characters - Tempus, Triage, Goldballs, and a new Morph).

This same year, The Avengers movie debuts and becomes the third-highest grossing film of all time, earning over $1.5B worldwide. This is important BECAUSE -

2013 - One year after the Avengers movie crushes the box office, Marvel publishes "Inhumanity" and changes the status quo. This was because of a deliberate change in direction pushed on Marvel by the movie division to halt the creation of mutant characters in favor of Inhumans, because they could potentially use Inhumans in film.

2014 - Marvel confirms an Inhumans film is coming.

2015 - Avengers: Age of Ultron makes another $1.4B, concluding Phase Two of the MCU.

Fantastic Four, the first superhero Team made by Marvel, is cancelled, with low sales cited as the reason. Internal sources say Isaac Perlmudder was so upset at Fox's refusal to return the movie rights that he determined the comic would be cancelled rather than relaunched or given a new creative team. All artwork featuring the Fantastic Four is removed from Marvel promotional material.

Post-Secret Wars, it is confirmed that the Terrigan Mists which create new Inhumans all over the world (and the new Inhumans are facing intolerance, fear, bigotry, etc, etc., yet fighting for a world which fears them!) also suppressed the X-Gene so no new mutants will ever manifest, sterilized all existing mutants so that they can't have children that could possibly be mutants, and also started a disease called M-Pox that is killing off existing mutants. It is also revealed that Reed Richards and Cyclops are both dead.

The Inhumans also get a new title - The Uncanny Inhumans.

They have created a few new mutant characters in the past decade. However, the only thing saving X-books from cancellation is that they remain popular and no one at Marvel values vindictiveness over cash. That said, however, they will not be creating any more mutant characters for the foreseeable future and have barely made any (even most of those they have are already gone from comics, including Hope) in the past decade. The movies are a multi-billion dollar industry and Marvel doesn't want a penny of it going to other companies (they will still gladly profit off of movies they can't stop, see: upcoming Apocalypse War storyline to coincide with the Age of Apocalypse movie). Furthermore, while there are certainly a lot of X-Men ongoings, there are fewer mutant-headed ongoings now than at any point since 1991 (Extraordinary X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, All-New Wolverine, and All-New X-Men, if you don't include Deadpool titles) and at the same time there are 3 Inhuman ongoings (Uncanny Inhumans, All-New Inhumans, and Karnak), more than...any time ever.

So yes, Marvel is pushing the Inhumans and trying to take the focus off of mutants (see: recent absolute nonsense revision of the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver), and it is because of the movies.
    BRUH THE FINAL SECRET WARS ISSUE COMES OUT TOMORROW HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME (your bit about post secret wars)

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Plenty of books have faced low sales and never been cancelled because the company decided the character was too enduring. Instead they get new creative teams or do something else to shake it up. X-Men, Spider-Man, Captain America, Avengers, and Fantastic Four included - they've all been sales losers and still been kept running.
    Of course that's happened. You don't keep producing the same shit if it's not selling, and you don't cancel something that is selling. Everything they do is to make money. It'll be a hard goddamn sell to intentionally make less money so that, ideally, another company makes less money so that your parent company gets something they want and can make money from it that you'll never see a cent of, all at the expense of fans you already have.

Obviously they want to limit their infusion of new ideas into the X-books until they get the licenses back, but they certainly don't want to blatantly sabotage or outright cancel them.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    Of course that's happened. You don't keep producing the same shit if it's not selling, and you don't cancel something that is selling. Everything they do is to make money. It'll be a hard goddamn sell to intentionally make less money so that, ideally, another company makes less money so that your parent company gets something they want and can make money from it that you'll never see a cent of, all at the expense of fans you already have.

Obviously they want to limit their infusion of new ideas into the X-books until they get the licenses back, but they certainly don't want to blatantly sabotage or outright cancel them.
    Honestly the Marvel 616 had too many mutants already, that limitation likely was simply a reflection of that imo. I can't dispute the push for more Inhumans to be for the purposes of building up an inhuman world before the potential movie.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    BRUH THE FINAL SECRET WARS ISSUE COMES OUT TOMORROW HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME (your bit about post secret wars)
    Marvel spoiled it all already!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post

This is exactly what I've been saying, I'm under the impression at this point that Kaslo is taking my argument in a different context.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

No I think I just believe they aren't limiting new ideas into X-books, just limiting new mutants because we have too many mutants already.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Ryan Coogler is also writing along with another unnamed writer, Filming begins Early 2017
    http://collider.com/black-panther-mo...filming-dates/

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Lupita Nyong'o (SW:TFA / 12 Years A Slave) in talks to join the cast
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...o-talks-893213

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The Anti Miz

BG Level

fuckin dope

Coogler, Jordan, Nyongo, Boseman is absurd. go team blax

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Hopefully SlyLone won't be cast

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

CinemaBlend predicting possible 5 villains to appear in Black Panther movie.

Man-Ape, Erik Killmonger, Klaw, White Wolf and/or return of Batroc.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

good lord thats gonna be a rough day in the life of t'challa

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Damn this movie is stacked! Surprised Morgan Freeman or Laurence Fishburne haven't been casted yet.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I can see it being m'Baku aka Man-Ape trying to wrestle away the throne away from T'Chala because he didn't undergo a trial required to succeed his father as a King. While on the side trying to make a deal with Klaw for Wakanda's resources. But this trope has been done in many other movies and I hope it's something else. Although I do wish to see T'Chala go through the trials of becoming Black Panther.

Also, this was a thing.

And of course a good movie to watch in the interim.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

This movie sounds hype. Dude who played black panther seemed legit. His ascent real?

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by vagus View Post
    This movie sounds hype. Dude who played black panther seemed legit. His ascent real?
    nah he's just a good actor. same dude that played Jackie Robinson and James Brown over the last few years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast