BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    Don't foresee 8 forgotten items helping very much, since they're 500 points each. Unless they create sacks and such and that part just didn't make it into the translation.
    Well it's not a big help but it's still something. I think it's just SE being overly cautious since they are just introducing the reforged relic. I'm guessing by Campaign 9 or 10 it will be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Surprised they removed EMP+2. Luckily, I finished purchasing them last campaign.
    Yeah they took it out and replaced it with Kupon for seals.. from the description I'm guessing one Kupon I-Seals will give you all the seals needed for the +1 of one empy armor.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Moat Carp Creel ... lol for those people having a hard time in the garden?

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Surprised they removed EMP+2. Luckily, I finished purchasing them last campaign.
    I think they are rotating the items. Next campaign will probably lack the seal upgrades and dynamis items, but have Emp+2

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Treize Kordero View Post
    Yeah they took it out and replaced it with Kupon for seals.. from the description I'm guessing one Kupon I-Seals will give you all the seals needed for the +1 of one empy armor.
    That's what the ones that were dropping from the BCNMs for a limited time did. Between that and the +2 items from log in I managed to get full +2 set for all the jobs I don't play lol. Even my mules are floating in Kupons

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    Don't foresee 8 forgotten items helping very much, since they're 500 points each. Unless they create sacks and such and that part just didn't make it into the translation.
    Well consider this, prices based on carbuncle:
    Step Touch Journey are maybe 5k. But Hope and Thoughts are in the 60-70k range. You put those at 100 points, all of a sudden you're completely fucking up Tav/Xar/Bcd farming (due to the shittier coin output, its alleviated by getting Hope/Thoughts). You can either give people the chance to get ~3 mil from login campaign, or the price will tank and no one does the previous 3 areas.

Ideally, SE should have put the hn/lg/ft items in the 30 range, and hd/bd in the 300 range.

OR, introduce an EX item (but make it delverable :D) that "can be traded to the magian moogle for a relic upgrade, from either +1 or NQ", so people dont sell them.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Bleh, I was hoping they'd have Limbus items again.

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Moat Carp Creel ... lol for those people having a hard time in the garden?
    I know had I not FINALLY gotten this today, I'd have TOTALLY picked it... was getting REALLY sick of the moogle conversation every time I was stupid enough to go into the garden, like an Alzheimer's patient I would forget that I couldn't give a shit about the garden, try to leave, only to be assaulted by dialog again and again and again and again...

1/22 Superbait balls... (and for some reason I cannot get my mule access to the MMM to do it the easy way, I'm baffled as to the scenario, MMM was always a shit event I had no interest in and now it seems it would've been behooved me to take part in it at some point).

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Think they'll ever cycle in older Trusts via the Campaigns for those of us taking an extended break? I can't think of much else worthwhile that hasn't been brought back already.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They said they plan to have an alternate way in the future to get the Ciphers and New Year event NPCs that were time-limited. The point of the login campaign is to keep you from taking an extended break, they're trying to give you a reason to have your subscription active every month, by having a campaign every month. This is the 8th in a row.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Quote Originally Posted by bungiefan View Post
    They said they plan to have an alternate way in the future to get the Ciphers and New Year event NPCs that were time-limited. The point of the login campaign is to keep you from taking an extended break, they're trying to give you a reason to have your subscription active every month, by having a campaign every month. This is the 8th in a row.
    hopefully for the 11th we will have mythics as rewards! -_-

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by JSHidaka View Post
    hopefully for the 11th we will have mythics as rewards! -_-
    "Any unused login points will be accumulated and you can purchase any 119 RME for 50600 points"

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Is it just me or does it seem odd that they have to take down the servers for 1.5 hours just to swap out what it's are redeemable from the log in npc?

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem odd that they have to take down the servers for 1.5 hours just to swap out what it's are redeemable from the log in npc?
    Think that it is just the standard time servers take to go down and be brought back up.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

When you have chained servers running a shared program, you can't just shut them all off suddenly. There's usually a proper order for them to shut down and to boot back up or things don't work properly, especially when updating software on all of them.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

They said a really, really long time ago that if the servers go down for any reason, it's a 2 hour process to get them back up. I remember reading this in like 2006.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ok then that begs the question if they are doing monthly updates and they know it takes 2 hours to take them down regardless why do something so small when you take them down why not do a couple more things... like work on that 6 pages of accepted bugs lol

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

To pad future updates.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Not like they need it. Some of the things in the accepted bugs thread are from august. They make twice as many each update as they address (at least of the ones posted in the english side)

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

In terms of programming, generally updates arent a process of physically tweaking the values of the entire server themself. Except maybe in specific cases like changing a stat on armor.

Instead the update system is probably automated by now. The load up a copy of their latest ffxi.exe and a copy of the new data tables for the server. Then they have to shut the server down so they dont mess stuff up. The server has to first and foremost log out every player, save all their stats, and make sure all progress is saved for everyone. They probably also make a copy of the server data, which would take probably half an hour to say the least.

That step alone is probably most of the time. They don't want to accidentally delete peoples work, and if the update fucks stuff up they need to maintain a copy of its old data so they can roll the servers back to before the update.

Then the automated system's next step is most likely to copy over the latest copy of ffxi's main runtime .exes and copying new datatables (for example updating armor stats, adding new items, etc)

THEN the clients might need an update to. Most programs check their client's version vs the server's version number. If the two are out of synch it will attempt to update. So now the server needs it's list of files for clients to download in the case of an update. This is basically the complete ID lists of all NPCs, armor/weapons, furniture, models. Etc etc etc.

Finally the server is turned back on again. IT needs to boot and load up, NPCs respawned, zones repopulated, character's reattached to all their shit, etc etc.

At this point the server is now live. It's a long convoluted process, mostly for our sake. I mean they could probably do it all in 30 mins without regard for bugs, loss of character data, and file corruption. But we'd get real piss if you tried to log on after an update and your inventory (or entire character) was suddenly missing.

As for why they don't just do all the bug fixing patches when they do these mini updates for such things as changing the moogle for one event to another?

The bugs aren't actually patched during the update. They get patched way ahead of time on test servers. There is probably a person especially in charge of such stuff. Once they have fixed a large batch of bugs they release are their fixes as one main patch that gets applied to the other test servers. Taking a patch and transferring it from the patch testing server to any other server is probably a lot of work, and might just create more bugs.

If SE just assumed every patch was already working and applied it asap when given the opportunity, it'd actually add a lot more work. It's better to apply all the patches in batches

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Wanted to test to make sure the 'forgotten' items from this campaign were actually singles... and confirmed it- x1 thought yay! i was really hoping they'd add some kind of box or bag of them or an auto-complete thing... oh well. Total waste of points.