1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 27 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 32 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 1 hours, 27 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 8 hours, 32 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Because that was the core of the game when -everyone- played, hence everyone can relate to it? Are you angry or something?
    Game wasn't available till after CoP in europe.

EL - Airship Pirate
    Airship Captain of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aero Ashwind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Galkaeater View Post
    That reminds me, dude on the OF bragging about 14 manning Roc, Simurgh, and Serket 2 years after EU release... Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Because that was the core of the game when -everyone- played, hence everyone can relate to it? Are you angry or something?
    Stop.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Drachen Armet, nigga.
    Not what you were looking for but you cannot deny this shit.
    You'll get that one, fine! It made opponents very unhappy in ballista and opened up a few interesting options, like healer-less Faust runs back in RotZ.

@Arch: Sorry, I don't stop for you. Welcome back, by the way.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Game came out with CoP in the EU. I still remember hitting 30ish and helping NA friends run alliances through promies only to wipe..

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by ejact View Post
    I think the overall issue is far too much is expected from a game that is essentially going to be a completely new game in comparison to the original abomination. For all intents of purposes many of us spent far too much time at lvl 75 in XI and forgot the events we're discussing about were added over the course of several years. The first one being sky which wasn't added into the game for JP players until a year and a half since inital launch. Which I think NA/EU players take for granted that ground kings, sky and dynamis were all available to them then when they hit 75 at what they perceive as the launch of the game.
    I can't speak for others with similar arguments to mine, But i Don't expect ToAU level variety in events all in the game from the get-go, Its just if they use a Linear progression system... they're limiting themselves. I do prefer Quality over Quantity when it comes to events though, So if theres only 2-3 Endgame dungeons that's fine, So long as they are enjoyable and at least somewhat diverse.

IDK how the "Endgame = Raids only" thing will work. Most people seem to quickly burn out on it in pretty much every other MMO on the market with the endgame philosophy of instanced raid after instanced raid and linear progression. I don't want FFXIV to fail, we're just getting awfully close to release and all I see in the game is scarcely sprinkled Final Fantasy elements and MMO practices others have tried and failed at an innumerable amount of times, with the one single exception being WoW. I hope FFXIV doesn't end up like all the other MMOs with pretty much Copy and Pasted endgame, leveling, and questing that it borrowed from... but if history is any teacher FFXIV is on the fast-track to obscurity, 0F2P with an E-shop, or deadsies.

I guess i shouldn't really care if the game only lasts 1-2 years, as If its enjoyable for that period of time it served its purpose, Yah? More i think about it more I have a "What will be will be" Attitude towards it. I just kinda hope for best.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Europeans played XI? It wasn't just JP and NA?

Huh.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    I don't want FFXIV to fail, we're just getting awfully close to release and all I see in the game is scarcely sprinkled Final Fantasy elements and MMO practices others have tried and failed at an innumerable amount of times, with the one single exception being WoW. I hope FFXIV doesn't end up like all the other MMOs with pretty much Copy and Pasted endgame, leveling, and questing that it borrowed from... but if history is any teacher FFXIV is on the fast-track to obscurity, 0F2P with an E-shop, or deadsies.
    To be perfectly frank, I'd say XIV's ultimate success or failure rests on the same advantage SE enjoyed with XI: console support.

As long as it's the best console MMO (which is not exactly a high hurdle to clear) XIV will have a captive market. I am somewhat hesitant to say this, but this possibility exists as pretty much the best case scenario (that Yoshida should never, ever discuss):

Quake:GoldenEye:CS:Halo::EQ:XI:WoW:ARR

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    To be perfectly frank, I'd say XIV's ultimate success or failure rests on the same advantage SE enjoyed with XI: console support.

As long as it's the best console MMO (which is not exactly a high hurdle to clear) XIV will have a captive market. I am somewhat hesitant to say this, but this possibility exists as pretty much the best case scenario (that Yoshida should never, ever discuss):

Quake:GoldenEye:CS:Halo::EQ:XI:WoW:ARR
    I thought PS3 will destroy ARR with its limitashuns?

Going PC only and forgetting the 20million+ FF fans on the consoles or going PS4 that has no userbase would be much better for this gaem, rite?

That way they could support DX13 and all the PC toys with revenue they gain from the PC MMO players who play for 2 months and then switch on to the next game. Nothing short of brilliant.

To be frank, SE also has the JP. Nobody has the JP but SE. Hell, nobody would play DQX the way it is in the West but in JP it has a significant following. It's not certain but I'd say quite likely that simply due to JP+PS3, obscurity/F2P/deadsies for ARR is nothing but a twinkle in a SE hater's eye.

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amiricle Mihgo
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yea, can't remember where, but I'm pretty sure it was said that they only 'need' a 400k concurrent subscriber base to keep it going. They'll have that easy with just Japan and the PS3 market so I'm not worried about it fading into oblivion. Should note, too, for anyone anticipating it going FtP, Yoshida is on record saying that he'll kill the project before that would happen.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Amiricle View Post
    Yoshida is on record saying that he'll kill the project before that would happen.
    Show me.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Should note, too, for anyone anticipating it going FtP, Yoshida is on record saying that he'll kill the project before that would happen.
    I'm pretty sure that's wrong. From what I remember, every time he talked about that he just said that he doesn't believe to be the right model for XIV right now. But he also said they might be considering other options in the future.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yea, can't remember where, but I'm pretty sure it was said that they only 'need' a 400k concurrent subscriber base to keep it going. They'll have that easy with just Japan and the PS3 market so I'm not worried about it fading into oblivion. Should note, too, for anyone anticipating it going FtP, Yoshida is on record saying that he'll kill the project before that would happen.
    I'm actually pretty sure Yoshida simply said that FFXIV couldn't survive on a F2P model because the game wasn't built for it.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    I thought PS3 will destroy ARR with its limitashuns?

Going PC only and forgetting the 20million+ FF fans on the consoles or going PS4 that has no userbase would be much better for this gaem, rite?

That way they could support DX13 and all the PC toys with revenue they gain from the PC MMO players who play for 2 months and then switch on to the next game. Nothing short of brilliant.
    I realize your post is almost entirely sarcasm, but if we have learned anything over the last 5 years, it's that WoW-cloning predictably results in a boom-and-bust userbase (on PC, anyway), as your new users inevitably go back to The Real Thing.

SE should thank their lucky stars that Blizzard has been uninterested in releasing a console WoW client.

I'm having a hard time understanding the reason why XIV isn't being made for Xbox, though. Yoshida has stated that it's because MS's policy forbids cross-platform play, which would be a totally acceptable answer except:

And at no time has anyone asked Yoshida to reconcile the existence of 360 XI with what he is saying. It'd be nice if he addressed it, at least.

It's been addressed before, I believe. They worked out a deal with FFXI and it ended up being a huge hassle that just wasn't worth it for SE. Microsoft is notorious for running developers tens of thousands of dollars to put out a single patch. It's why you haven't seen ANY real MMOs for the Xbox except Defiance. No idea how Trion Worlds worked that out.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The deal for XI was made when Microsoft had different policies and afaik is still valid for that game, so expansions can still come out on it. They've changed since then, which prevents a new game like XIV from being in the same situation.

EL - Airship Pirate

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aero Ashwind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Correct me if I am wrong, but part of it had to do with bringing the FF franchise to Xbox in the first place, the deal not only included XI, but that SE would drop their Playstation exclusive policy.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Arelian View Post
    It's been addressed before, I believe. They worked out a deal with FFXI and it ended up being a huge hassle that just wasn't worth it for SE. Microsoft is notorious for running developers tens of thousands of dollars to put out a single patch. It's why you haven't seen ANY real MMOs for the Xbox except Defiance. No idea how Trion Worlds worked that out.

the deal was to drop XIII Exlusivity

EL - Airship Pirate

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aero Ashwind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    the deal was to drop XIII Exlusivity
    Exactly.

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amiricle Mihgo
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Carth View Post
    I'm actually pretty sure Yoshida simply said that FFXIV couldn't survive on a F2P model because the game wasn't built for it.
    I think you're probably right and since I don't feel like searching for it, I'll leave at that.