1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 57 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 2 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 17 hours, 57 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 16 hours, 2 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Boy, you sure made it sound fun.....
    It was ffxi, we were all masochists. I myself loved it as well.

I agree with you Elcura, that gear itemization in ffxi wasn't as awesome as it was in say, diablo 2 -- where a single item could drastically alter the way you played the class. It didn't allow a thief to become a black mage. You could, however, play your PLD like a DD with the right gear. It wasn't as good as a warrior or ranger, but it was still technically functional. They way you're downplaying the difference that different gear sets gave is just... blasphemous. The difference between "being able to do" and "being unable to do" is what I'd call drastic. If it's not drastic to you then, fine, but it still made a difference. My choice was the difference between my failure and/or my success.

Likewise, I geared differently for Colibri than I did Mamools, and those gear differences resulted in my maximized performance. There was no gear set that was hands down better for both enemies. It gave different pieces of gear meaning.

Dusk gear was a perfect example of trade-offs that I'd love to see. Expensive, Haste, Attack, but you moved slower. Some people didn't want to deal with the slower movement speed. Some people felt it was worth it for the increased damage. It was all about being able to make decisions that weren't obvious.

Technically functional? Not only are you guys arguing stupid shit but you're not even arguing it factually.

Like, if you said you enjoyed being a shit PLD in XI by gearing DD then that's one thing, claiming you could do it and be functional is entirely different. The class itself is non-functional, it hasn't been functional since 75 and at 75 gearing as a DD was not functional on PLD. You geared for Haste to caste shadows and to build TP but it was haste --> whatever you needed to build TP or get shadows up.

Obligatory what the fuck is this shit.

It's sooo veiny
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arch Dizzle
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I never ever ever ever want another dusk gear type trade off that shit was horrible, having to macro just to run.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

You are right, I should rephrase. It was technically functional in exp parties because who gives a shit. Endgame linkshell events though? You're getting laughed at and kicked. But hey, you probably contributed more than pup.

I never ever ever ever want another dusk gear type trade off that shit was horrible, having to macro just to run.
    I made it so that dusk gear increased my speed by 12.5% instead of decreasing it. lolffxi :3

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    what..?
    I said the same thing reading your entire post (or trying, holy shit take your meds).

Never before has an avatar been more appropriate than yours. Also, try reading posts instead of just jumping in and vomiting text, it's like I have to wade through a river of shit to just try and pick out a relevant point that you're failing to make. Either way, can't be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchDizzle View Post
    Spellcast automatically removed it for me, I need to press a button when moving just to run in this game(mount or sprint), it's not bad at all. I liked that gear had negatives as well as positives, it made things so much more interesting.

It's not drastic enough when you consider the fuck-ton of gear FFXI had along with all the jobs you could play. If they were going to include so many pieces and allow side-grades, then shouldn't they have been more potent? I'm not talking about making one of THFs A-class skills even better with evasion gear (not to mention the fuckload of evasion traits they get) which still isn't even enough to allow you more freedom in your subjob. When you think about that sentence, itemization in FFXI seems pretty sad.

I'm talking about making B or C-class categories into viable options with gear, or changing the function of a job/role when it was viable, but that wasn't possible. For all jobs, gear only served to make the primary roll function better in slightly different ways. For DDs, it's speed and damage, for mages, it's potency/accuracy and something MP related, for tanks, haste mostly as well as whatever damage reduction they could find. Along with gear, job design and skill categories were a problem that only got bigger the higher up in levels you get making it harder to perform secondary rolls on relevant targets.

When you look at all gear available, you see that there isn't any real choice or freedom, just an overwhelming amount of gear that may or may not suit your needs. You took THFs A+ class skill and could barely make it an effective gear choice. For an A-class skill, wouldn't you expect more return for fighting equal or higher leveled creatures? Especially if you focused your gear on it. Yet, this was not the case and you still need /NIN to cover you.
    No MMORPG in existence has ever allowed you to completely play a different role from swapping gear without the gear changing you to a different class entirely you need to level up again from level1 like FF14's armory system. A THF cannot be come a BLM, a WAR cannot become a WHM, this has never existed, in any MMORPG. Saying FFXI's gear system is bad because it can't do something no MMORPG in existence has ever done doesn't make any sense at all.

Speaking of subjobs, this games cross-class system is somehow worse than subjobs were in FFXI.

Every single melee DD is going to set:

+20% dmg archer buff(if possible)
    +15% crit pug buff(if possible)
    +10% crit for 20 sec archer attack(if possible)
    Bloodbath(if possible)
    Random useless shit for next 1-6 slots

Every tank is going to set:
    +20% defense MRD buff(if possible)
    +20% parry lancer buff(if possible)
    +20% healing Glad buff(if possible)
    Bloodbath(if possible)
    +10% crit for 20 sec archer attack(if possible)
    Random useless shit

Every mage is going to set:
    Cure(if possible)
    Protect(if possible)
    Raise(if possible)
    Arcanist spells(might make this more interesting)

When solo, everyone will set bloodbath, protect, cure, +20% healing taken, and defensive buffs if they can.

Why does the cross class system even exist? Who knows, it's so basic, bland, boring, and uncreative. You'll pretty much never do anything different from other players, and in parties everyone will have the same exact things set depending on their role. Yay?

"Bu..bu..BUT EVERYONE SUBBED NINJA IN FFXI!". This is true, to an extent, but at least you had SOME choices. Should I be RDM/BLM to stun + elemental enfeebles? Or do I need -na's from WHM? Do I need stona? No?Then I can sub /SCH, do I need to nuke a lot? Then I need /SCH, do I need shadows ? /NIN. Do I need super high defense from cocoon for blood tanking with tacos/stoneskin/phalanx/max defense? OK /Blu Am I going to be meleeing and still need stun? Ok, /drk, stun, aspir, drain, and attack bonus.

As a 2h job/DPS:
    Am I solo? Ok I am going to /dnc as a DPS for self curing and self-status removal. Can I go pure damage in this party and ignore shadows entirely? Ok /SAM or /WAR.

Yes, there weren't many choices, but it's still more choices than the almost >>ZERO<< choices the cross-class system gives you in FF14. There's so few skills to choose from and the ones you can pick are a no-brainer that everyone will pick them up, and you can set so many that you don't even need to decide if you should be picking this or something else. All those skills you can pick from the cross-class system might as well be default, it's just an illusion of choice, like the +30 stat points you can set leveling up.

I really want them to expand on the cross-class system and make it interesting and fun. It's a great concept, but very basic and not well made yet.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I don't think I have any problems with xiv's additional skills system yet. We might end up with a "This skills are always better than the others and required" thing.. but I'm not sure if that's a problem yet. Or rather, I'm not sure it's something that can be discerned in beta.

Also, Elcura, seriously? lol. I guess I should have just dismissed some of your posts as well so I didn't have to deal with providing counterpoints or acknowledging some of yours.

I liked that gear had negatives as well as positives, it made things so much more interesting. Spellcast automatically removed it for me.
    Rearranged this so you could see what we see. Also holy shit at the entirety of your post.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Evane View Post
    Rearranged this so you could see what we see. Also holy shit at the entirety of your post.
    If only spellcast could remove negative stat effects.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

If you want FFXI stats and gear, you can always just reactivate FFXI.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    If only spellcast could remove negative stat effects.
    What is interesting about having both negative and positive stats on a gear when you only have to type a WS name or a spell and let spellcast do everything else?

Edit: Feeling proud of yourself/accomplished by copying someone's XML?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Strawman.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Evane View Post
    What is interesting about having both negative and positive stats on a gear when you only have to type a WS name or a spell and let spellcast do everything else?
    Because when the negative is on the same piece of gear as the positive, spellcast can't remove that negative? You're trying too hard.

Honestly though, I don't think we should start into spellcast. FFXIV doesn't allow gear changes during battle right? It'd be silly to compare that aspect of xi with xiv.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I think a lot of people are getting emo that FFXI is pretty much getting replaced.

Strawman.
    It might be if she made any sense.

Saying FFXI's gear system is bad because it can't do something no MMORPG in existence has ever done doesn't make any sense at all.
    I didn't realise that's what I was asking for!

Well no shit Sherlock, do you want a medal for that amazing discovery? What part of secondary roll implies I want to turn THF into a BLM or WAR into WHM just from gear choices? Are you intentionally being retarded? Please, stop.

Also, Elcura, seriously? lol. I guess I should have just dismissed some of your posts as well so I didn't have to deal with providing counterpoints or acknowledging some of yours.
    Hey, if you want to argue with that wave of whatever the fuck Shiyo brings then be my guest. I don't want no part of that crazy.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Broz Bastrum
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

It's silly to compare XI with XIV full stop. They might both be Final Fantasies and both MMOs but that is where the similarities end.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well no shit Sherlock, do you want a medal for that amazing discovery? What part of secondary roll implies I want to turn THF into a BLM or WAR into WHM just from gear choices? Are you intentionally being retarded? Please, stop.
    That's covered by this, actually:
    I'm talking about making B or C-class categories into viable options with gear, or changing the function of a job/role when it was viable, but that wasn't possible.

That's covered by this, actually:
    I didn't realise that THF had a B class skill in Elemental Magic. My bad.

As for the second part, I was going to specifical say MNK and counter-tanking as an example, how gear could've made it a real option or viable choice instead of pure damage or haste, but it wasn't. MNK has the capability to tank, but gear could never bridge that gap in an interesting way. Maybe that changed at 75 or after I quit.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

or changing the function of a job/role
    Do you not understand the function of the word "or"?

Also, to back up and prove you wrong anyway, gearing for MAB and elemental staves and shit allowed a ninja to spam nukes for damage instead of focusing on physical damage. But of course, you're going to say that's not relevant or find someway to dismiss it, right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast