1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 10 hours, 45 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 13 hours, 14 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 3 hours, 45 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 6 hours, 14 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Laptop reccomendations     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Soda Pop
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Cett View Post
    So with the annoucement of P4 next Friday I was looking at this laptop:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...70%202OD-001US

Any techi out there in you opinion will this be able to run on high/(pref)Ultra for the next 2-3 years?
    Anandtech reports that the MSI GT70 runs into heat throttling issues and the lack of cooling is really holding back the system. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7076/m...d-the-gtx-780m. That review is for the Dragon Edition, but I'm pretty sure it's almost the same as the one you posted from Newegg.

If you live in the US, might I suggest a Sager/Clevo machine from XoticPC or Mythlogic? Or if you don't feel up to customizing a machine, I hear that Alienware machines do a good job with cooling (but you'd be paying more with Alienware iirc)

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Cett View Post
    So with the annoucement of P4 next Friday I was looking at this laptop:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...70%202OD-001US

Any techi out there in you opinion will this be able to run on high/(pref)Ultra for the next 2-3 years?
    I would assume so. It has a pretty solid CPU and one of the best laptop GPUs on the market.

Whether or not it could run the game using the DX11 client on high/ultra, would be hard to say. If you wanted to play with the DX11 client when that comes out then I'd expect to have to turn down your settings a little. Most laptops though aren't going to be able to run the DX11 client without a significant dip in performance.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

So really even when the D11 client comes out there's a strong possibility that you'd have to what for the next line up of laptops or purchase a beastly laptop costing much more? I realize that moving more into speculation more so than anything else.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

We don't know exactly what the performance hit will be with the DX11 client so it's hard to say, but that laptop will be able to run the current game client at near max settings no problem, might drop to the 40's in crowded areas, but shouldn't be a problem.

A 780M is comparable to a 7870 more or less.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

While that laptop can go full throttle, I wonder what the chances of it lasting 2-3 years is.

On my family/line of laptops, the GPU always seem to give in just under 3 years in, and I don't push the game at full throttle either.

Maybe like how other people break their laptops/items very quickly out of bad luck, perhaps it's bad luck on my part too)

If you're constantly pushing it and have a large playtime, then I'd buy some form of extended warranty to go on top.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Many laptops go kaput mainly because of clogged fans and/or overheating, people who use them as their main machine for gaming must keep them very clean/open them up to dust them and keep an eye on cooling, more so if it's something high end which WILL make it run very hot, especially for those with SLI/Crossfire.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

True, yes, I've always kept them well maintained but no dice

But yeh probably bad luck. I'm actually thinking of building a cheap desktop to slot next to the TV and call it a day. Give it a nice i5 from the previous or even 2 generations back, give it a budgety GPU (which probably is near equal or slightly below the best mobile ones), feed it 4gb of ram and calling it a day.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

Gonna put an order this weekend to have it here before P4 and I was hoping someone more knowledgeable could check out these two laptops. I wanted to wait for the Asus G750JH to come out but seems it will not be releasing til September.

These both seemed like the best bang for the buck for what they are cpu and gpu wise.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834198032

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MSI+-+17...=buyingOptions
    I did some more reading after watching that review posted earlier and seems the high heat results on this model came from poor paste jobs in a couple of their laptops, otherwise if done correctly high temps are not an issue.

Both are spec'd fairly similar, I would just like a 2nd opinion. Feel free to point out something different if so anything with a 780M or equivalent lower card with SLI setup would be great. I've come to the conclusion beyond having to be portable for the next 10 months that I hate laptops after seeing the scores for mobile gpu vs their pc counterparts and price. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Don't know to much about the cyber power one, looks like the better deal. However when it comes to mobile gaming the MSI's out benched Clevo and Alienware's with the same spec's. A lot of alienware owners were pretty disappointed with their 780m benchmark performance. My 680m m17xr4 scored about as high some of them. However I will say the current nvidia drivers have been very problematic to say the least.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Asus Republic of Gamers has been great for me! I used to have a Dell $2200 pile of garbage that had 15% reliability score on the day it died... At least Asus parts are made to function together instead of just pieced together like Dell does with the Alienwares and Dell laptops.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Hello all,

I'm waiing for my budgety laptop to arrive. Really interested in FFXIV as well, so let me ask you: what can I expect with the following build:

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
    8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Thanks in advance

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Above average. I won't classify that as budgety lol, how much did you set you back? I estimate $1200.
    (considering most people seem to want something to play that won't break $600-700)

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Above average. I won't classify that as budgety lol, how much did you set you back? I estimate $1200.
    (considering most people seem to want something to play that won't break $600-700)

About 1100$ (converting from euros). I'm retuning from the apple world, in a certain sense it's budgety even if subjectively so. I'm lurking around forums to see the pc gaming scene in general, and I'm seeing some impressive stuff out there, comparing to that build of mine.

I'm not exactly a gamer, but I'm in awe with FFXIV. I've played WoW very briefly (about 4 or 5 months) and never got to the so called end game. That's my only experience with mmorpg's. Since I spent some money on a new computer I considered returning to WoW (left before cataclysm), but it looks terrible. And their new direction with cash shops and what not, what I disgrace.
    I'm only seeing good stuff about FFXIV. The community seems to be way more balanced than WoW. I'm a 28 year old film student, and I'm looking for certain experiences with gaming that FFXIV seems to be in a fantastic position to fulfil.
    There MUST be a market for MATURE mmorpg immersion. Mature as in alternate reality (final fantasy, really) role play, and mature game playing.

edit: I certainly don't intend to imply that the benchmark here is WoW; just expressing my subjective point of view.

There's nothing out there with both the legacy and the anticipatory/visionary power that Final Fantasy has, and I sure expect that this reborn can deliver that.

Went a bit off topic there, but there you go

I just bought a Lenovo y410p for $760 (nomally $1,300) and it comes with probably the best bang for your buck. 4th Gen i7 8GB RAM(Yeah kind of low) GeForce 2GB Dedicated 1TB HDD (sucks it's got no SSD or higher RPM than 5400). But the y410 and y510 come with the ultra bay so you can insert a secondary graphics card in the optic drive. I have heard about them overheating, but then again which laptop doesn't? Nothing a cooling pad can't help assist with.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

i have ibuypower's Valkyries CZ-17, played on beta3 full time and never had any issues, newst benchmark gave me 9800 score at laptop high.

The model of the laptop i have is the one whit the 4gb Gtx 675m, i did upgraded my ram to 32gb 1600mhz bus and installed a SSHDD, my CPU is tird generation i7 at 2.4mhz.

This laptop is very very good, i did not heat too much while playing phase 3 it has a extra fan i could turn on but i dont have a need for it since it almost dont get hot so i guess i really recomend it.

Aside from the extra ram memory and SSHDD the laptop costed 1k when i purchase it about 9 months ago, i know they have new models whit the new i7 CPUs and 700 GTX GPUs, can cheek them at ibuypower.com.

Hope this helps

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by For_Example View Post
    I just bought a Lenovo y410p for $760 (nomally $1,300) and it comes with probably the best bang for your buck. 4th Gen i7 8GB RAM(Yeah kind of low) GeForce 2GB Dedicated 1TB HDD (sucks it's got no SSD or higher RPM than 5400). But the y410 and y510 come with the ultra bay so you can insert a secondary graphics card in the optic drive. I have heard about them overheating, but then again which laptop doesn't? Nothing a cooling pad can't help assist with.
    8gb of ram is not low.. especially for gaming. I think i have the highest score on the forum with a single gpu on the benchmark so far and I have 8gb of ram. I Have 32gb on my laptop went from 16-32 and no real difference at all, gaming or benchmarking. Anything over 8 is just extra and for gaming it wont really help you. If your rendering videos and stuff then by all means stock up on more ram, but for games 8gb is more than enough.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carmon Konno
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Shadow Council

Well i like my ASUS G74SX. its been good for me not a single problem. but one. there is no Num lock button on the keyboard. all that is there is a calculator button. i kid you not.
    I got an i7-2670QM quad core @ 2.20 GHz, 12 gigs ram (i can still fit another 4 gigs in an open slot), nvidia Geforce GTX 560M with 3 gigs dedicated.
    the ROG laptops are more of 1 level below a desktop replacement computer.