1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 19 hours, 29 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 4 hours, 30 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 12 hours, 29 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 21 hours, 30 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The WoW Factor     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The WoW Factor

For starters this post is not meant to bash on anyone, but to create constructive criticism, as I will enjoy to hear what you too have to say. To begin I have a concern to address you with. Why is this game becoming noob friendly? I feel like FFXIV is a great game with great graphics and mechanics but they're leaning more toward the "WoW" model of things. Incorporating things like Dungeons and raids and Max out leveling in less than a week oppose to FFXI, where things took time and effort and a sense of accomplishment to achieve(its not about the end, its about the journey). Also to add, a 2.5 second cool-down on most timers just make the game battles awful to sit through. Fights in FFXI were slow paced, organized and timed where weapon skills were nicely detailed and they looked badass when they went off .. But in this new model of combat there is so much going on with countless spamming of flashes and explosions at any given time that makes the game look as if it were directed by Michael Bay. I think its better to adopt the old system used in FFXI where appreciation played the bigger part of the game. Building up to that given WS, instead of WS's/Combos going off every 2 seconds to where it takes away from the beauty and fun of things. I think the way they're going with things will make the game to where it wouldn't be appreciated as much as the old model of FFXI, that many have learned to love. Why not be original and stick to your bread and butter instead of trying to mimic a different game? I think this game should be both noob and veteran friendly to bring in new players and cater to every gamer(casual or hardcore)in general. Again, Just my thoughts.

These are just a small list of concerns that I would like to have answered or even express your opinions upon. I do have more concerns which i am willing to address such as the HNM system(because we all know HNMs make the game challenging, and who doesn't like the feel of out-claiming an LS and rubbing it in their face when you get that prized low drop percent D-ring you've been drooling for all year, or even wiping to a 2% Cerberus to GOH when your stuns fail, only to be out-claimed by another ls, only to create drama.) Hell you might never even see that piece of equipment drop, which adds to the beauty of its rarity and scarceness. Its just what makes the game so great and memorable. What would be the fun if gear was so easily obtained, and max levels were easy to reach? There is no fun in that and that is what i'm trying to get at here. People complain that time sinks are a burden, but its actually the time sink that makes the game so much better. Lets face it, this game has amazing Potential but it just needs to incorporate more ideas from FFXI and merge it with this new one to create the best MMORPG possible.Why do People want everything handed to them?(Easy). If the game becomes noob friendly, in a sense there will be no diversification, no challenges, no fun, and every one will look the same. And to be honest when I play now its almost like no effort was put into gear detail. Everything is copy-paste-repeat. For example compare a Haubergeon in FFXI to a Hauby in FFXIV, its a HUGE difference as the FFXI hauby blows it away opposed to the half-a** appearance of the new one. Everyone looks the same, not to mention the only gear that looks good so far is the AF(and that's saying a little). Everything else looks like something I could put together on a budget at a thrift shop (no offense Yoshida & his team), oppose to the gear in FFXI which was so beautifully and thoughtfully designed. If things remain easy everyone will at some point have the same items without difficulty or consequence in obtaining them and we will essentially have nothing to flaunt or show to our friends, supporters, or haters that we put time and effort into obtaining. It is what ultimately sets apart the grinders from the whiners. It would be a blunt game, where equality is king and to quote "The Incredibles" -"When everyone is Super, no one will be."

-Thanks for chiming in

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I get the feeling this guy just went and copied random applicable reddit posts to spam 10 posts really quick.

Admittedly smarter than the average guy spamming 10 posts really quick but still kind of lame.

EDIT: I spoke too soon, I based it off of the post he made in the HotS thread and this one, his other posts are standard spammer fare I guess.

EDIT: You know if he had stayed this creative for all of his posts and not made a separate topic for this particular one, he probably could have gotten away with it.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

to quote toy story3
    you've got a playdate with destiny

EL - Airship Pirate
    Airship Captain of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aero Ashwind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Mistahwiggles View Post
    For starters this post is not meant to bash on anyone, but to create constructive criticism, as I will enjoy to hear what you too have to say. To begin I have a concern to address you with. Why is this game becoming noob friendly? I feel like FFXIV is a great game with great graphics and mechanics but they're leaning more toward the "WoW" model of things. Incorporating things like Dungeons and raids and Max out leveling in less than a week oppose to FFXI, where things took time and effort and a sense of accomplishment to achieve(its not about the end, its about the journey). Also to add, a 2.5 second cool-down on most timers just make the game battles awful to sit through. Fights in FFXI were slow paced, organized and timed where weapon skills were nicely detailed and they looked badass when they went off .. But in this new model of combat there is so much going on with countless spamming of flashes and explosions at any given time that makes the game look as if it were directed by Michael Bay. I think its better to adopt the old system used in FFXI where appreciation played the bigger part of the game. Building up to that given WS, instead of WS's/Combos going off every 2 seconds to where it takes away from the beauty and fun of things. I think the way they're going with things will make the game to where it wouldn't be appreciated as much as the old model of FFXI, that many have learned to love. Why not be original and stick to your bread and butter instead of trying to mimic a different game? I think this game should be both noob and veteran friendly to bring in new players and cater to every gamer(casual or hardcore)in general. Again, Just my thoughts.

These are just a small list of concerns that I would like to have answered or even express your opinions upon. I do have more concerns which i am willing to address such as the HNM system(because we all know HNMs make the game challenging, and who doesn't like the feel of out-claiming an LS and rubbing it in their face when you get that prized low drop percent D-ring you've been drooling for all year, or even wiping to a 2% Cerberus to GOH when your stuns fail, only to be out-claimed by another ls, only to create drama.) Hell you might never even see that piece of equipment drop, which adds to the beauty of its rarity and scarceness. Its just what makes the game so great and memorable. What would be the fun if gear was so easily obtained, and max levels were easy to reach? There is no fun in that and that is what i'm trying to get at here. People complain that time sinks are a burden, but its actually the time sink that makes the game so much better. Lets face it, this game has amazing Potential but it just needs to incorporate more ideas from FFXI and merge it with this new one to create the best MMORPG possible.Why do People want everything handed to them?(Easy). If the game becomes noob friendly, in a sense there will be no diversification, no challenges, no fun, and every one will look the same. And to be honest when I play now its almost like no effort was put into gear detail. Everything is copy-paste-repeat. For example compare a Haubergeon in FFXI to a Hauby in FFXIV, its a HUGE difference as the FFXI hauby blows it away opposed to the half-a** appearance of the new one. Everyone looks the same, not to mention the only gear that looks good so far is the AF(and that's saying a little). Everything else looks like something I could put together on a budget at a thrift shop (no offense Yoshida & his team), oppose to the gear in FFXI which was so beautifully and thoughtfully designed. If things remain easy everyone will at some point have the same items without difficulty or consequence in obtaining them and we will essentially have nothing to flaunt or show to our friends, supporters, or haters that we put time and effort into obtaining. It is what ultimately sets apart the grinders from the whiners. It would be a blunt game, where equality is king and to quote "The Incredibles" -"When everyone is Super, no one will be."

-Thanks for chiming in

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

I was like "I'm not going to read that.... Fuck, yes I am....

Why the fuck did I read that?"

If you want FFXI, then go play FFXI. This isn't FFXI-2, it's a different game with a different direction. It has some overlap, sure, but more of that is due to it being FF than to MMO.

Addressing some details:

FUCK free-spawn long-timer HNMs. Fuck them in their stupid asses. Fuck you for suggesting it. Sure, it feels GREAT to finally get that rare piece of loot. The player getting it feels like a million bucks, and the people that helped him get it probably feel pretty good too. You know who doesn't feel good, and actually feels really fucking bad? The other 10 groups that didn't get the claim. The other 50 groups before them that DID get the claim, but didn't get the drop. That system has such an enormously negative impact on the game, that I can't believe it lasted as long as it did in FFXI. There are better ways to implement a high-reward grind rather than random (or botting). You make a long ass quest in which every step is guaranteed and trackable progress toward your goal. You fucking masochist... holy goddamn shitballs.

Next is gear appearance, specifically, your Haubergeon example. Haubergeon did not come from FFXI, and in fact, FFXI Hauby is NOT a very accurate depiction of what a real Haubergeon looks like. A real Hauby is simply a shirt of chain mail. The FFXI version is actually a Haubergeon + Tabard + Pauldrons + Gorget. The FFXIV version is MUCH more accurate to what a Haubergeon actually is. All of the basic low-level armor in FFXIV is more accurate to the name attached to it. Do you know what most people ACTUALLY wore throughout history? Fucking Boiled Leather, sometimes with metal plates riveted, strapped, or sewn on, but more often, not.

That's not to say that a full-on Fantasy game can't or shouldn't have awesome looking (if completely impractical) huge fucking plate armor with spikes and skulls and crevasses and openings in irrational places, and all the stuff we've come to love... but you have to earn that shit. The way I see it, if it's not reasonable for an armor design, then it has to be magical to make up for it, and they don't hand out magic armor to low-level scrubs.

Atlasion

FFXI was released at a time when there wasn't too much competition for MMOs and at a time when MMOs were fairly new. They could afford to make it a bit tedious (by today's standards) and drawn out to level up and leave the bigger pay offs till endgame as they wouldn't be losing too many players to other MMOs. I'm not saying this did this on purpose with FFXI as they were still learning to make an MMO (from what I've heard, it's a lot faster/different levelling up now in FFXI), but at the time it worked so they stuck with it.

Now there's significantly more competition in the field of MMOs and so they feel they need to make the game instantly appealing at lower levels. They cannot afford the start to be boring and drawn out with little to do. Maybe they've gone too far in the opposite direction with all the dungeons and leves and so on, but I don't think we can tell with that yet.

I'm actually glad this is the case. I was telling my friend the other day that I didn't think I'd play another MMO as I couldnt afford to invest the time in it to get to endgame and then invest further time so actually get anywhere endgame, as it was in FFXI. He told me that it was different in WoW, where actually levelling up and being a lower level had plenty of fun things to do. This seems to be the case in XIV, so great.

As for the number of abilities on low cool down. It looks like they didn't want to repeat FFXI melee where you hit auto attack and the occasionally use an ability and fire off a WS. Half the time I'd level up with a movie on. Now you have to pay attention with melee jobs and actually do things in proper orders. Again, I would say it's too early to tell how good or bad this system is. You're right in that the number of flashy things happening on screen is quite a lot and personally I'm not too fond of that either. Maybe filters can address this or maybe they're still having some teething issues and this could be sorted later.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Atlasion View Post
    FFXI was released at a time when there wasn't too much competition for MMOs and at a time when MMOs were fairly new. They could afford to make it a bit tedious (by today's standards) and drawn out to level up and leave the bigger pay offs till endgame as they wouldn't be losing too many players to other MMOs. I'm not saying this did this on purpose with FFXI as they were still learning to make an MMO (from what I've heard, it's a lot faster/different levelling up now in FFXI), but at the time it worked so they stuck with it.

Now there's significantly more competition in the field of MMOs and so they feel they need to make the game instantly appealing at lower levels. They cannot afford the start to be boring and drawn out with little to do. Maybe they've gone too far in the opposite direction with all the dungeons and leves and so on, but I don't think we can tell with that yet.

I'm actually glad this is the case. I was telling my friend the other day that I didn't think I'd play another MMO as I couldnt afford to invest the time in it to get to endgame and then invest further time so actually get anywhere endgame, as it was in FFXI. He told me that it was different in WoW, where actually levelling up and being a lower level had plenty of fun things to do. This seems to be the case in XIV, so great.

As for the number of abilities on low cool down. It looks like they didn't want to repeat FFXI melee where you hit auto attack and the occasionally use an ability and fire off a WS. Half the time I'd level up with a movie on. Now you have to pay attention with melee jobs and actually do things in proper orders. Again, I would say it's too early to tell how good or bad this system is. You're right in that the number of flashy things happening on screen is quite a lot and personally I'm not too fond of that either. Maybe filters can address this or maybe they're still having some teething issues and this could be sorted later.
    Well said.

I like that ffxiv doesn't require all my time like ffxi did it's why I stopped playing it to begin with. only thing I dislike is the combat system. 2 seconds is way to short, it takes away from the moves they don't feel powerful or special. Each fight is like it's own light show that gets worse the more people are involved. In f.a.t.e's I can barely even see the mobs. I wish they would spread out the ws's more and increase their dmg to give them more meaning.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

When XI was released in NA, I have only begun high school. The slow and tedious wait to get shit done in XI was only possible because other than school, I don't have much going on. Nowadays with more life shit going on, I can't sit all day waiting for shit to pop in short windows while competing against everyone and their mother.

Does taking forever to get an item really that appealing? Sure when you finally get that rare item it is gratifying as fuck. But at what cost? Ain't got no time to spend on that shit. Give me guarantee compensation (tokens) for participating in something so I know my hard work won't go to waste.

As for armor designs, shit is subjective. What you think is not appealing may not hold true to others. I think Skyrim's armor designs are butt ugly, but I know there are some that love it. I'm not going to hold it against them. Lighting just got a boob job with skimpy outfits to flaunt it and a lot of people are going apeshit over it. But fuck would I love to motor boat those bad boys.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Final Fantasy 11 was revolutionary at its time for being unique in its gameplay experience. However it was a clone of everquest, as I learned when I was describing the game to my brother and he pointed out the very glaring similarities after which I found out that Sony basically designed FFXI for SE and they used that bible of data to make their game.
    The best part of FFXI was the job system, thats it, period. The leveling up was slow, too slow, if they had increased the speed people wouldnt use summoner burn parties to level up. The HNM system promoted not server wide healthy competition but dangerous games of one upmanship that led, very quickly, to using botting programs and linkshells produced specifically with the intention of botting. That is not a healthy environment to encourage, in fact if FFXIV had such an environment as its primary source of endgame content I guarantee you this forum would be much lower on the totem pole and we would probably be planning its closing at some point in the future due to inactivity.

Some people want FFXI-2, and thats fine, what they want is a new graphics engine with the same game, but thats not condusive as a business plan, its not safe because of the undue amount of stress it causes, and FFXI was held back for YEARS by the inability of its lead designer to get off his ass and push the game past level 75. Seriously. We played a game where max level was achievable and remained the same for SEVEN FUCKING YEARS. And when the game, in its most stagnant state, actually pushed forward past the 75 artificial barrier (seriously, it was put in at 75 and never raised because the producer/director thought that going higher would "break the game" because they adjust the stats properly when they were doing shit before) it had a serious burst of growth and renewal and actually JUMPED forward in subscriptions and players. Why? Because it introduced no new world HNMs but instead fast repops, leading to adventures that we hadnt had in a almost a decade. Yes it did kill the linkshell as an idea because it was easier to farm with 6 people than it was with 18 but the fact remains, it moved forward, finally.

FFXI isnt a good game by any stretch of the imagination, when you look back on its technical failures, its spaghetti code, its encouragement of illegal third party programs, and the fact that almost all of the community risked permanent banning JUST TO GET A PROPER WINDOWED MODE. It was a good test of what not to do when you make an MMO, seriously. I loved FFXI for a long time, I really did, many of us did, but weve moved on and realized that the relationship was abusive, it wasnt conducive to a positive gaming experience, it encouraged shady backstabbing on a global scale with its loot and claiming system. It practically built the RMT industry and actually had people risking themselves stealing accounts from others just because they wouldnt ever get caught.

Let the game die and try FFXIV, its a breath of fresh air, and while it did take a lot of ideas from world of warcraft, wow remains the biggest MMO in the world for a reason, it works, period.

EL - Airship Pirate

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aero Ashwind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    Final Fantasy 11 was revolutionary at its time for being unique in its gameplay experience. However it was a clone of everquest, as I learned when I was describing the game to my brother and he pointed out the very glaring similarities after which I found out that Sony basically designed FFXI for SE and they used that bible of data to make their game.
    The best part of FFXI was the job system, thats it, period. The leveling up was slow, too slow, if they had increased the speed people wouldnt use summoner burn parties to level up. The HNM system promoted not server wide healthy competition but dangerous games of one upmanship that led, very quickly, to using botting programs and linkshells produced specifically with the intention of botting. That is not a healthy environment to encourage, in fact if FFXIV had such an environment as its primary source of endgame content I guarantee you this forum would be much lower on the totem pole and we would probably be planning its closing at some point in the future due to inactivity.

Some people want FFXI-2, and thats fine, what they want is a new graphics engine with the same game, but thats not condusive as a business plan, its not safe because of the undue amount of stress it causes, and FFXI was held back for YEARS by the inability of its lead designer to get off his ass and push the game past level 75. Seriously. We played a game where max level was achievable and remained the same for SEVEN FUCKING YEARS. And when the game, in its most stagnant state, actually pushed forward past the 75 artificial barrier (seriously, it was put in at 75 and never raised because the producer/director thought that going higher would "break the game" because they adjust the stats properly when they were doing shit before) it had a serious burst of growth and renewal and actually JUMPED forward in subscriptions and players. Why? Because it introduced no new world HNMs but instead fast repops, leading to adventures that we hadnt had in a almost a decade. Yes it did kill the linkshell as an idea because it was easier to farm with 6 people than it was with 18 but the fact remains, it moved forward, finally.

FFXI isnt a good game by any stretch of the imagination, when you look back on its technical failures, its spaghetti code, its encouragement of illegal third party programs, and the fact that almost all of the community risked permanent banning JUST TO GET A PROPER WINDOWED MODE. It was a good test of what not to do when you make an MMO, seriously. I loved FFXI for a long time, I really did, many of us did, but weve moved on and realized that the relationship was abusive, it wasnt conducive to a positive gaming experience, it encouraged shady backstabbing on a global scale with its loot and claiming system. It practically built the RMT industry and actually had people risking themselves stealing accounts from others just because they wouldnt ever get caught.

Let the game die and try FFXIV, its a breath of fresh air, and while it did take a lot of ideas from world of warcraft, wow remains the biggest MMO in the world for a reason, it works, period.
    So much truth, I loved XI with all my heart, but trying to explain some of the design choices to people who never played is fucking painful. Most people just stare at you like "wtf?". It has its up and downs, and I'll add that on top of the job system, character driven Story and an abundance of well done CS's also went a long way to help the game dig in.

That said, even though XIV is by no means a rehash of XI, I do feel the devs have been able to capture some of those feelings that only XI has brought out in my online gaming experience.

Seriously Yoshi-P is a breathe of fresh air in the Rusty SE machine. I couldn't be happier to have him involved in rebuilding the foundation of the FF experience.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I think the beta forums are leaking....

That said I'm going to go ahead and guess that all these people getting nostalgia boners over XI's endgame never really participated in actual endgame and probably thought Sky and 4 hour Kirin fights were elite.

No motherfucker with a sane mind that sat around working XI like a job, setting an alarm clock to wake up because you were third in line for an ebody after a year of waiting wants to do that again.

EL - Airship Pirate

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aero Ashwind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by luxv View Post
    I think the beta forums are leaking....

That said I'm going to go ahead and guess that all these people getting nostalgia boners over XI's endgame never really participated in actual endgame and probably thought Sky and 4 hour Kirin fights were elite.

No motherfucker with a sane mind that sat around working XI like a job, setting an alarm clock to wake up because you were third in line for an ebody after a year of waiting wants to do that again.
    And god damn Linkshells cocking blocking HNMs that no one in their group needed the drop from, just to fence the item to the highest in zone bidder or letting it go in the trash.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Implying that endgame was strictly kings, lol.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Just to piggyback off this. WoW is the biggest MMO in the world. However, it is not entirely unique. It blatantly and unabashedly takes ideas that are successful in other MMOs and tweaks them to work for WoW.
    WoW took LFD/R, mass looting, scenarios, instancing, raid concepts, etc. from a variety of games. Rift, Guild Wars 2, and 5000 other MMOs have borrowed concepts from their predecessors and modified them to fit into their game. They would be foolish not to.
    It doesn't stop there, however. Games takes ideas from other games all the time. I love the Last of Us, but it has taken almost every element of the game from books, movies, and other games. It doesn't take away from the quality of The Last of Us and very rarely does anyone complain about it.
    Yet, MMO players seem to want to label everything a "clone" of something else, usually WoW.
    Yes, the first 15 levels or so(which you can do in a few hours if you know what you are doing) are very much like WoW. Quest, turn in quest, repeat. When you start doing dungeons, you will realize they are not like WoW dungeons at all and the BD of 2.5 seconds allows for necessary repositioning to maximize your damage and perform the proper combos. FATEs are more like Rifts(I never played Rift, so I'm going by other peoples word), hunt log I don't recall being in a specific game, some of the PvP aspects are more like Guild Wars 2's WvW.
    As for everyone looking the same, everyone looked the same in FFXI as well. There were items you absolutely had to have for certain jobs at different point's of the game. WHMs and noble's tunic, SMN and yinyang robe. Hell, when everyone I know got to the appropriate level they farmed that coeurl for that hideous orange jerkin. Furthermore, as people get into higher levels, you can dye some of your armors and such, so they won't look the same anyway, at least till everyone is rocking AF and then it can be just like FFXI like you want.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Implying that endgame was strictly kings, lol.
    Sadly, it kind of was for a long time. Farm the shit out of sky till most things were being tossed. It became kings camping and then dynamis twice a week.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

And when the game, in its most stagnant state, actually pushed forward past the 75 artificial barrier (seriously, it was put in at 75 and never raised because the producer/director thought that going higher would "break the game" because they adjust the stats properly when they were doing shit before) it had a serious burst of growth and renewal and actually JUMPED forward in subscriptions and players.
    Huh? I haven't seen any new sub stats for XI since 2010. Where'd you hear this?

AFAICT, XI maxed out around 550k subs right before CoP and was at 350k subs around Abyssea release.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by luxv View Post

It is no surprise that you associate XI endgame exclusively with the soul-crushing despair of camping kings.

I have said this many times: if you simply did not camp world spawn HNM, XI's endgame was 10000x better. They were the single worst "feature" in the game and the gear was not worth the headache.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I still play FFXI and I enjoyed it back when I was younger but now I'll be damned if I go back to gameplay was was FFXI Pre-Abyssea or even Pre-WotG fuck that. FFXIV is promising and it's fun. It might be wishful thinking but I feel this might be the best MMO that has come out this year.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    It is no surprise that you associate XI endgame exclusively with the soul-crushing despair of camping kings.

I have said this many times: if you simply did not camp world spawn HNM, XI's endgame was 10000x better. They were the single worst "feature" in the game and the gear was not worth the headache.
    Running the same Salvage zone hundreds and hundreds of times with no drops, spending an entire Saturday trying to pop IX'Drg. Not fun. To me the best 75 era event was Einherjar and even with that you needed 24+ people to have 100% attendance and maybe, just maybe 2 of those people got a drop every two weeks. I could go on and on.

That said, I played XI obviously for years and I don't really regret and there were plenty of good times but I sure as hell don't want to repeat it.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Huh? I haven't seen any new sub stats for XI since 2010. Where'd you hear this?

AFAICT, XI maxed out around 550k subs right before CoP and was at 350k subs around Abyssea release.
    I think he meant it gave a push to it's current subscriptions at that time, not that it increased the max it had reached in the past.

I will give ffxi credit to endgame that overtime it strove to give us different styles. And not just with the mass endgame (chocobo raising, pokemon, etc.) While some worked and some didn't, I do hope they keep that in mind for 14. One thing I didn't like with the new lfr system in wow is it's basically become: do these raids, now do these raids again slightly harder, now do these raids again slightly harder. Which I'm not a fan of.

But in the end they are different games. Companies will (and should) look to other games to see what works and what doesn't. I don't care if they take a lot of stuff from WoW, as long as it's end result is a good game.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast