1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 4 hours, 31 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 19 hours, 28 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 21 hours, 31 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 12 hours, 28 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

New comprehensive FFXIV-ARR character & demographic multi-site survey

Hey everyone! I noticed and participated in a demographic & character survey on another site, and was thinking it would be great to combine them and also distribute across multiple fansites/beta forums to get a separate idea of the more generalized community.

Some benefits to this would be that you could see what fan sites are attracting their members/lurkers to what servers, what the community overlap is, and being able to directly apply demographic information to character information/server selection. I'm planning on providing detailed statistics when it gets more responses, stuff like: tank breakdown for bluegartr, server choice, how many guys making girl characters, etc. Most of the questions on the survey were based on questions present in other surveys, or in feedback on those surveys. If you have suggestions for things you'd like to see, please leave them here!

I’ve also included questions like previous FFXI servers (if applicable) and some other things like that. Each person will get a maximum of 27 questions based on their responses. I was hoping to keep it to 25 or under, but I failed. So I’m sorry if it’s a bit long, but I like to think it goes by pretty quickly. I’m hoping to see some interesting statistics.

I’m working on posting across more fansites, but feel free to link your friends/other gaming forum communities to the survey! Thanks :D

Here’s the google survey link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18NY...ZDgjM/viewform

And the results link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18NY.../viewanalytics

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

filled it out, shiny stuff

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Filled it out as well.

Cool to see that over 60% of respondents didn't play 1.0 retail, but are up for ARR.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I feel like there is a new one of these every other day.

Filled it out regardless.

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Very interesting. Thanks for putting this together.

also, FFXIV = privileged white kid general

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sigmakan Kaph
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by xerodok View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for putting this together.

also, FFXIV = privileged white kid general
    The %White is pretty inline with US Demographics /shrug

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Well over 85% are individuals in the 21-34 year old range.

So, "Privileged white adult" would probably be a better statement.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Or: employed white male.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I'm not sure we can make any statements about employment from those results.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I can make the assumption that if you're a 21~34 year old, white male and playing a subscription-based MMORPG, you probably have some sort of a job. Probably.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I dunno, I sure spend less money on gaming when I have a sub-MMO to eat up my free time, than when I don't. One of the reasons I play sub-MMOs is because I feel like they save me money, but yeah you're probably right.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Oh man I'm in the small minority (4%) of people who are over 35. I guess I'd better take the ALF and Married With Children references out of my party chat during boost macros.

I also had no idea "queer" was a sexual orientation. Isn't that term looked upon not favorably by the gay community?

edit: oh man killing ifrit is still a thing? I haven't gone there in like 7 years.....

Yeah, I definitely should have added an employment-related question. I guess I could still add one and mark it as non-required. /shrug

For queer, http://internationalspectrum.umich.edu/life/definitions has the best definition I've found while being pretty neutral:

Queer: Used as an umbrella identity term encompassing lesbian, questioning people, gay men, bisexuals, non-labeling people, transgender folks, and anyone else who does not strictly identify as heterosexual. “Queer” originated as a derogatory word. Currently, it is being reclaimed by some people and used as a statement of empowerment. Some people identify as “queer” to distance themselves from the rigid categorization of “straight” and “gay”. Some transgender, lesbian, gay, questioning, non-labeling, and bisexual people, however, reject the use of this term due to its connotations of deviance and its tendency to gloss over and sometimes deny the differences between these groups.
    It's a controversy that's been going on at least since the 70's, but usually people only get offended if it's forcibly applied to them without their consent or approval. Other people like the term because it's more non-descriptive, fluid, open, and recognizes non-binary genders. I know it will only be meaningful to a relatively small amount of people, but I saw no harm in trying to be as inclusive as I could. It's gaining more traction in mainstream LGBT groups that are adding Q's, some even listing it while others simply list questioning (but the Q being there is usually interpreted as both being there from those within-community). Sorry for my word vomit; I worked at my University's counseling center while they were implementing a program about stuff like this.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphyna Ikuri
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Most in-depth survey I've come across so far.

Filled out and damn, O:
    I find it quite surprising that there's such a high number of players considering themselves hardcore.