Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zimt Zucker
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Lore question:
    Spoiler: show
    If Malthiel wants to destroy all of the demons, why would anyone but the demons want to stop him?

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Smarky answer: Because Blizzard needs to sell more games.

Serious answer: That's a damned good question. Probably something about upsetting the balance and that would destroy Sanctuary or something. We'll have to find out if Blizzard finds away to recapture their previous storytelling.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I tend to forget Diablo even has a story, pretty much just farming lootz and leveling for me.

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Nothing about the previous plot? Nothing about our resident large-breasted hottie?

Eh. I'll stay away from this one until a I watch a few streams and such. Blizzard is about a half-step higher than EA's Sim City launch with how D3 opened up and finished up.
    Yeah don't we need to tie up what happened to Adria? Also, Leah's soul? The bosses better not be saturday morning villains again.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Leah getting shafted is half the reason I was pissed with D3. For them not to make any mention of her at all just irritates me even more.

They'll probably save it for another expansion, but to go an entire expansion just expecting the Nephalim to not even question anything about Adria or Leah would be incredibly saturday morning villains.

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm assuming this is free for pc players to make up for the shitfest that is vd3

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    I'm assuming this is free for pc players to make up for the shitfest that is vd3
    FFXIV forums is the other way

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    I'm trying not to get banned for the BRP rule, but I was thinking this so hard.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

YUS!! Excitebike for Paladin 2.0

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

No necromancer, not interested. though with crusader i guess it's coming at some point.

I'm with the majority this time around. I got burned hard with this one, blizzard has lost my "buy their games blindly it'll be great!" mindset until they can correct this fuckup.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Press release;

The defeat of Diablo, Lord of Terror, should have given rise to an age of hope. Instead, it has drawn out a shadowy being of immense power, whose malevolent purpose is yet to be revealed. Announced today at gamescom, Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, the upcoming expansion to Diablo III, opens a dark and terrifying new chapter in the ongoing conflict over the mortal realm of Sanctuary.

Malthael, the fallen Archangel of Wisdom, vanished after the events depicted at the end of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. In Reaper of Souls, he returns as the Angel of Death and seizes the Black Soulstone, which contains the essence of the Prime Evil. It now falls to the players to track down Malthael and stop him before he unleashes irreversible havoc on the world.

Fortunately, a new hero is ready to join the cause and bring Malthael to justice—the Crusader. Driven by a centuries-long quest to cleanse the corruption blighting their beloved Zakarum faith, Crusaders are warriors of righteousness who have been hardened through relentless, brutal combat with the foul evils plaguing eastern Sanctuary. In addition to wearing immensely heavy armor and wielding a wide range of cruel and punishing weapons, this new playable class in Reaper of Souls uses battle magic to strengthen allies and weaken foes. A natural walking tank, the Crusader adds power and versatility to any party of adventurers.

“From the beginning, Diablo has always been about the struggle between good and evil, and Reaper of Souls explores the darker notes of that conflict,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “This expansion also represents a big milestone in the ongoing evolution of Diablo III, with key enhancements to the core gameplay, along with a new act to experience, a powerful new character class, tons of new loot, and even more end-game options. We think players will love playing Reaper of Souls, and we can’t wait to get it into their hands.”

In addition to taking the story of Diablo III from the legendary city of Westmarch to the unhallowed halls of the Pandemonium Fortress in Act V and introducing the incorruptible Crusader class, Diablo III: Reaper of Souls increases the game’s level cap to 70. Players continuing on with their existing Barbarian, Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter, Wizard, and Monk characters will benefit from an array of fearsome new spells and abilities as they advance in level.

The expansion also accentuates the key features of the Diablo franchise, with a greater emphasis on randomized environments to explore; epic new quests; horrific new monsters to defeat; and substantial updates to the loot experience, enabling players to further customize their characters with new and improved multilevel Legendary items, new Blacksmith and Jeweler item-crafting options, and more.

Diablo III’s Paragon progression system is also being majorly upgraded for the expansion, adding even more end-game character advancement and replayability. Two new game modes—Loot Runs and Nephalem Trials—are being added as well, providing fun and rewarding challenges for players to tackle when they’re not busy saving the world.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

If you plan on subbing for XIV you have no business claiming D3X should be free. That's hilarious, go enjoy your generic MMO.

As for lore with Malthael, no clue. If you read the Book of Cain is explicitly notes that el'Druin is thought to not be able to harm creatures with righteous intent. It doesn't harm Malthael. It was a nice touch.

Tyrael just seems so.. dumb though. I mean seriously looking at the story from D3vanilla he either lost a bunch of braincells destroying the worldstone or he is teh demons. I hope they somehow patch that up.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tekni Wintersbane
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Mok'Nathal

diablo lore
    Spoiler: show
    It was stated during one of the narrated cutscenes that if the demons or heaven were to be destroyed, Sanctuary would go with it/them I believe around the time you find out your nephalim or something.

Side note. I was terribly sad when leah died/was turned. We still need to go hunt down her bitch mother. fuck that potion selling bitch from d1!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    If you plan on subbing for XIV you have no business claiming D3X should be free. That's hilarious, go enjoy your generic MMO.

As for lore with Malthael, no clue. If you read the Book of Cain is explicitly notes that el'Druin is thought to not be able to harm creatures with righteous intent. It doesn't harm Malthael. It was a nice touch.

Tyrael just seems so.. dumb though. I mean seriously looking at the story from D3vanilla he either lost a bunch of braincells destroying the worldstone or he is teh demons. I hope they somehow patch that up.
    Tyrael needs to be dumb to maintain Blizzard's "Vision" for this franchise, it seems. They have him doing boneheaded things and spouting generic one-liners again and again. I miss the enigmatic Tyrael from D2, and that's not simply because "D2 did everything better because D2". This Tyrael has too much Mentzen in him. Too much campy writing and lack of foresight in just about everything he does.

You want my money, Blizzard? Find a way for us to resurrect and/or purify Leah. Someone deserves a happy ending in this tripe, especially since our characters never do (see D1: Warrior, Rogue, Wizard, D2: Barbarian).

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aumaan Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I will be shocked if Leah's resolution isn't involved here, when the trailer explicitly shows the "reaper of souls" pulling souls out of things. On top of which, the plotting in Blizzard games has been so shallow lately (does D3 vanilla go ten minutes between mentions of Malthael and wondering what he's been up to?), that it's hard to believe they've been thinking up anything new and surprising plotwise when they've got these three big obvious hooks sitting there to use up in the most straightforward way possible. Adria's probably been working for Malthael the whole time, helping get the Prime Evils into the soulstone in the order he wants for his plan or whatever. The only question is how long it takes for that dick Imperius to side with Malthael in a sudden but inevitable betrayal.

They really are good at making cutscenes, though. I'm going to have to watch that one at least a few more times.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

People are talking as if a Diablo or Metzen game in general has ever had a good plot.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Not much mention of the expansion coming for console,

Basically says it's only for PC at the moment, and they'll release it for console if it makes sense in the future, since it'll be 2014 sometime, maybe ps4 version will have reaper of souls included?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Eanae View Post
    People are talking as if a Diablo or Metzen game in general has ever had a good plot.
    Lets say this, then. Less was certainly more back in the days of D2. I remember reading the manual and the lore on Druid and whatnot, and damn, the writing was very good. The backstory writing has always been good. The in-game writing and dialogue between NPCs was always good. Farnham the drunk was good. Alchor's hilarious lines were good.

Somewhere along the lines, that shit was lost. Lost completely.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I'm still on the fence about this, but definitely optimistic.

From the interview, I'm a little worried that the writer said they "found" Malthiel as their villain. That tells me they never fully thought out a continuation in mind when they penned the original story for D3. The continuation of the Leah/Adria situation seemed to be a slam dunk, and it better be the mid-act surprise. Wanting to find and rescue Leah's soul and needing to go through the reaper of souls seems obvious to me. So, story wise, not too impressed. But we'll see.

I like the ideas behind the raised level cap, paragon "merits", and the new crafting and drop systems. But I need to see more of what these improvements give before I get toooo excited. I'm worried that the paragon points wont give large enough stat boosts to really personalize classes, and I hope they're learning from the current craft system. Demonic Essences definitely represented a step in the right direction, but it's flawed and I think it still needs tweaking. The idea was to pull people away from the AH, but it doesn't do that. I could get 4-5 DE's on a good run, so every 2-3 runs I could do a crafting session, which is a reasonable expectation. But the high costs via tomes/other mats/gold meant I was still relying on the AH to craft.

Tangent over...basically I think they're on the right path, but they seem to keep messing up just enough that I want to see a bit more before I get as excited as I want to be.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

This is a pretty good video to watch, so far anyway. Only half way in. The nephalem trials sound cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUSp_...ature=youtu.be

I'm not sure how to embed it so if someone could do that it would be great.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 161 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast