1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 31 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 14 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 19 hours, 31 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stanislaw Ziolkowski
    FFXIV Server
    Durandal

Materia System - Compiled Information Thread

As Phase 4/Early Access hasn't started yet, we currently do not have access to all data/theories when it comes to Materia. However, because I think it'd be a important topic of discussion come actual release I thought it'd be a good idea to start this forum off with something.

Let's start off with the basics first:

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...48a963d6e53673

Materia System Revisions (06/13/2013)

In accordance with revisions to the battle system, adjustments have been made to the materia system as well as the effectiveness of various items in FFXIV: ARR.

We advise all players to review the changes to the materia system listed below. Further details on item changes will be disclosed at a later date.

- - -

1. Overall Changes to the Materia System
    In order to make the materia crafting system more intuitive, the following changes have been made:
    • Stat variation within grades of materia have been abolished.
    • The number of materia grades has been increased to five.
    • Catalysts have been consolidated into five grades of one type.
    • Gear-type restrictions on materia have been abolished; it will be possible to meld them to accessories.
    • Gear and any materia already affixed to said gear will no longer be lost as a result of a failed melding attempt.
    • You will no longer need to unequip gear in order to attach materia to it.
    • Materia have been consolidated into 24 varieties.
    • Materia created will now be based on gear class rather than gear slot. For example, a cobalt cuirass worn by Disciples of War is more likely to create materia for a tanking class, whereas a felt robe worn by Disciples of Magic is more likely to create materia for a casting class.

2. Multiple Melding
    In FFXIV: ARR, only the materia and catalyst used in the melding process will be lost in a failed attempt. Players will keep their gear and any materia already attached to it.

The old system was deemed unfair to players in that both gear and items would be lost simply by chance, forcing them to start again from nothing. Given enough time and effort, we believe creating fully melded gear is now a realistic goal in FFXIV: ARR.

3. Materia Slots in FFXIV: ARR
    In FFXIV: ARR, materia can only be used on gear that contains materia slots, each of which can be affixed with materia without failure. Attempting to use more materia than the slots on a piece of gear is referred to as advanced materia melding.

The chance of success decreases as you attempt to affix more materia.

• Gear which occupies multiple slots such as cowls and heavy armor will contain more slots than other types of gear.
    • The number of materia slots can be confirmed in the item details window.
    • Both normal and high quality versions of gear will have the same number of materia slots.

4. Maximum Enhancement Values
    When enhancing gear with materia, there are certain limits to how high attributes can be raised depending on the gear. These attribute limits are based on the gear's function (e.g., gear for blocking) and the item level. Higher level gear will have higher enhancement caps. There are instances where gear with the same equipping requirement have different item levels.

• For example, both the vanya robe and sentinel's cuirass can be equipped at level 50. However, due to their overall quality and the difficulty in obtaining them, their item levels are different.

5. Spiritbonding
    Spiritbonding will require considerably more time in FFXIV: ARR. Furthermore, high quality gear and gear enhanced with materia will gain spiritbond at a faster rate than normal gear.

The rate at which gear could gain spirit bond in Version 1.0 was determined to be too fast, and we will be making adjustments to spiritbonding from phase 3 until release.

6. Catalysts
    The types of catalysts required when melding materia have been simplified as follows:

The rate at which gear could gain spirit bond in Version 1.0 was determined to be too fast, and we will be making adjustments to spiritbonding from phase 3 until release.

• Any given grade of catalyst can also be used to meld lower grade materia. For example, grade 4 carbonized matter can be used with materia up to, but not exceeding grade 4.

Catalysts from Version 1.0 have been converted according to the following table:

7. Version 1.0 Materia
    Due to changes in the acquisition of gear, as well as revisions to the battle system, the strength of higher level gear may have changed in the transition from Version 1.0 to FFXIV: ARR.

In addition, there have been adjustments to the strength of materia and their effects when affixed to gear. This may necessitate the use of different materia in FFXIV: ARR to achieve the same results as Version 1.0. In light of these changes, we will give players the option to exchange Version 1.0 materia for a new variety.

8-1. Conversion of Version 1.0 Materia
    1. All Version 1.0 materia will be automatically converted into cracked materia.

2. Players will be able to exchange their cracked materia for new materia of their choosing.
    • Materia that has already been affixed to gear can be converted as is.

Even after converting cracked materia, there is the possibility certain gear will see a decrease in effectiveness when compared to Version 1.0. To compensate for this loss, players will have the option to exchange any gear affixed with cracked materia for a special currency. The amount of currency received is based on the type of gear as well as the number of materia affixed. This currency can be exchanged for a variety of gear, such as those obtained in dungeons and primal battles, or darklight gear.

• The exchange of cracked materia and gear affixed with cracked materia will be possible starting from phase 4.

8-2. Restoring Cracked Materia

• Cracked materia cannot be affixed to gear.
    • Players can only exchange cracked materia for new materia of the same grade. For example, cracked materia III can only be exchanged for grade III materia.

9. Newly Added Materia

10. Changes to Materia Properties
    The properties of the following materia will be changed in accordance with revisions to the battle system. For example, the effect of heaven's eye materia will be changed to encompass both physical and magic accuracy.

11. Obsolete Materia
    The materia listed below will all be converted into cracked materia automatically, and can be exchanged for new materia of your choice. Although certain attributes can no longer be enhanced through the use of materia, this has been accounted for in the revisions made to the battle system.

12. Materia in FFXIV: ARR
    The following is a list of materia that will be available at the start of FFXIV: ARR. Additional materia may be introduced in future updates.

* The names and specifications of items listed in this announcement are subject to change.
    Topics of (probable) discussion:

What are the maximum enhancement values imposed upon each gear slot?
    Because materia are now created based on gear class, what kind of materia can each item produce?
    The probability calculations of forbidden materia melding.
    Various gear min/maxing.
    Etc, etc.

That should be a good start. Anyone want to follow up with quotes from the Devs made in the Beta Forums?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Here's some materia meld info from Phase 3. Not mine, and obviously stuff is subject to change, but it's a good start.
    http://nix80.livejournal.com/22903.html

The main thing to see there is the forbidden materia meld chances.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Also need to see what is this special currency and how much you can get for your gear/how much it cost for new gear

Seeing it's it worth it to convert current gear to currency or materia

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

(this is an example of a topic I like the formatting for theorycrafting on, thank you stan, it looks good and I hope people will pick up the discussion)

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Figuring out stat caps would be a start so people can plan forbidden melds with the least amount of headaches i.e. no reason to use a tier III when a tier I will cap the stat or being able to cap in one shot with a IV.

Any word if SE is going to release a chart like they did in 1.0 to show exactly what type of materia will come from each slot (accounting the purpose of the gear)?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Figuring out stat caps would be a start so people can plan forbidden melds with the least amount of headaches i.e. no reason to use a tier III when a tier I will cap the stat or being able to cap in one shot with a IV.
    All of this seems pretty easy to discern as is right now, unless something has radically changed on the caps/attribute limit since P3. We already know a HQ piece of equipment has all listed attributes at cap - NQs do not. Stuff not present on the piece seems rather trivial because you'll be notified about the end result.

Any word if SE is going to release a chart like they did in 1.0 to show exactly what type of materia will come from each slot (accounting the purpose of the gear)?
    Are you trying to say DoW/DoM/DoH/DoL here? This was sort of expounded upon already at some point in P3 though we don't really have accurate percentages, but I can tell you that I readily got physical-oriented Materia out of DoW or specified-class gear (no real consistency from the slots either). I would imagine it was the same for any DoM; the real dice rolls are with the any class stuff (pretty much accessories) since they seem to have no inclination.

Regardless, some clarification would be welcome from their end (especially if they've changed anything).

BG Level

Also remember that it will show you a preview of the gear before you accept the forbidden meld so open your eyes and you will see if it gives stats or not

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    Are you trying to say DoW/DoM/DoH/DoL here? This was sort of expounded upon already at some point in P3 though we don't really have accurate percentages, but I can tell you that I readily got physical-oriented Materia out of DoW or specified-class gear (no real consistency from the slots either). I would imagine it was the same for any DoM; the real dice rolls are with the any class stuff (pretty much accessories) since they seem to have no inclination.

Regardless, some clarification would be welcome from their end (especially if they've changed anything).
    Yes essentially. We know for example CNJ/WHM gear won't start giving you Battledance (Parry) Materia but having at least a working chart along with the percentages would be helpful to know the rarity of the materia and if any slot is more prone to giving a certain type. It would make Spiritbonding a more focused venture at least if slots are found to have some consistency.

@Rata: But I want to plan out of game.

BG Level

Yes essentially. We know for example CNJ/WHM gear won't start giving you Battledance (Parry) Materia but having at least a working chart along with the percentages would be helpful to know the rarity of the materia and if any slot is more prone to giving a certain type. It would make Spiritbonding a more focused venture at least if slots are found to have some consistency.

I agree but that's not what I meant

What I mean is before you meld the item you will see a preview of the gear + stats if the meld is succesful just need to check the details to see IF the material will be full benefits or not before Melding it

anyway

Also according to this picture the Cap is not the same for all stats on the same item

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/...00/doppio2.png

This Rubellite +1 has 7 STR (cap) but he has 2 determination Materia 1 full 4 and 1 not full 2 which means that the cap is either 5 or 6

The good news is that if you miss 1-2 you can use lower tier materia to hit the cap

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's 6, the red number means you've hit the cap with that (they're both T3 and are supposed to give +4)

I'm also willing to bet that the whole "HQ items are always at cap" isn't necessarily true, especially for higher ilvl items. It seems like there's a lot of variation on caps from item to item

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I don't understand rata, those are different items aren't they?
    One is a ring and another is a necklace.

BG Level

My exemple was the ring, the guy put the ring and the necklace on the same picture ....

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Anybody know where the NPC is to exchange cracked materia? Did some searching but couldn't find any info, the official post said it will be available P4?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by rothhaas2 View Post
    Anybody know where the NPC is to exchange cracked materia? Did some searching but couldn't find any info, the official post said it will be available P4?
    We will know when the beta starts, we can't see into future.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

ilvl70 green wrist armor:
    STR caps at (+8 base) +1 = 9
    DET caps at (+5 base) +3 = 8
    crit caps at (+0 base) +12 = +12
    speed caps at (+0 base) +12 = +12

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Is there any way someone could post a breakdown guide of materia for those of us new to the game? All I really know about materia is it's a level 19 quest, and you need to be level 19 in a particular craft to do the quest. And then you need 100% spiritbonded gear to convert an item into materia. Past that, not a clue, and I'd really like to use materia asap, hate having these empty slots in my gear.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

After that you need a correct craft level, materia + catalyst to put it into gear.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

There's two quests, one for converting 100% spiritbond items into materia and one for melding materia.

First one is available at lvl 19 (any class), NPCs are northeast of Black Brush in Central Thanalan.

Second one is given by the same NPCs, but requires you to have a Disciple of the Hand job, dunno which level. Didn't fiddle with crafting in this beta.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

via Sirius Taco

ilvl 70 HQ earrings
    STR cap = 9
    DET cap = 8

What's with the cap on the currency you get for turning in cracked materia gear? I traded in a bunch of stuff I had and was a bit confused (and annoyed, as it was taking up a lot of room) that I could only get up to 2k stones.

I didn't have much free time to play P4 so there was no way I could get to Rowena to find out more, I just remember looking at the currency tab and being quite confused.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast