+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I really...intensely despise Rogue/Warrior win daily quests.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

h-h-e-rr-ee I go

edit: 11-3 fuck mages, they were fucking everywhere on my way to eleven wins

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

Almost there

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Grats on the run. I haven't bothered playing Constructed with this new test phase because the game is at the point in which having certain expensive cards is more important than intelligent deck building and play.

Ridill
    BG Level

I don't even mind the expensive cards as much lately as the crazy restrictive deck/hand sizes.

Nothing drives me more nuts in this game than the fact that if I make a deck with a solid balance of minions and removal with a few buffs, I'm never going to get the removal when I need it, and I'm going to get nothing but removal and buffs when I need minions.

I still lose games to retarded shit like turn 1 coin > wild growth > turn 2 innervate > turn 2 hogger, but at least I know that probably didn't happen again for them in the next 500 games.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I have yet to go above 6 wins in Arena because the last like 3 arena runs I've had like maybe 3 minions under 4 mana on top of enemies seeming to topdeck me every single game.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

10-3 on Rogue. Got Leroy in my draft and strong board control. Though I did have so much hax doing Leroy > conceal for a game or two. I think I had one end with Leroy + dark Iron > conceal gg. And a few others with sap sitting in my hand finding the lethal opening. I think I pissed a bunch of druids off sapping their Ironbarks.

Was sitting at 10-1 until I went up against a really solid board control rogue that was a shade faster than mine. Queue up again and get stomped by the same guy again Q_Q

Ridill
    BG Level

i know it technically maths out as a net loss for me if I had the assass all along, but there's not much I like more than sap > sap > assas on an opponent's ironbark, and it tends to be a pretty massive shift in board control heh

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

If you factor in crystal use, it's a net gain to go sap sap assassinate. A buddy of mine is doing the constructed grind, he's at rank 8, every deck he faces has 4+ legendaries. Constructed is just stupid, takes no skill whatsoever. And arena is getting boring, I think I'm about done with this game.

Arena is all about getting a good draft and then no bad luck. I just finished a run where my losses were to:
    - a paladin that played almost the best minion in a given mana slot on every turn, save the 2 times he brought out the 4 dmg sword
    - a mage that played 3 water elementals and 2 boulderfist ogres just back to back to back to back to back
    - a mage with ysera, 2 fireballs, 2 poly, blizzard, etc etc etc

Don't really matter how good you play if you draw up against that and have anything but the perfect answers every turn.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

made it! :D only get to keep it for a few hours...but feels good.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    Don't really matter how good you play if you draw up against that and have anything but the perfect answers every turn.
    It's the fundamental problem with Arena; the curve of skill to win ratio is so high that only a small few will see any real success in Arena and most everyone will lose 20-30 gold each time. Constructed will be a little stale until they've released a few expansion packs. I've found that playing every 2-3 days, to keep up with dailies, fits pretty well. I've 1400 gold to blow on cards so far; might save up some more and go through 20 packs at once and see how I do.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    It's the fundamental problem with Arena; the curve of skill to win ratio is so high that only a small few will see any real success in Arena and most everyone will lose 20-30 gold each time. Constructed will be a little stale until they've released a few expansion packs. I've found that playing every 2-3 days, to keep up with dailies, fits pretty well. I've 1400 gold to blow on cards so far; might save up some more and go through 20 packs at once and see how I do.
    There's no skill involved in getting lucky drafts. It's not that hard to figure out what the best cards are, I just never get them...

In today's arena draft Alarm-o-bot popped up like 4 goddamn times and half the time that was the best card out of the 3. @_@ Like I can always figure out the best way to trade with my opponent, but they just end up having superior cards, or get such a lead with their superior starting hands that I can't catch up.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

There was a fantastic article I read on reddit about arena drafts that really changes the way you think of building a deck. We've all seen really annoying combos (turn 1 faerie dragon into turn 2 argent protector) or swords galore, consecrates, flame strikes etc, but these cards don't really make or break a deck. Winning in arena isn't always about smart trades either - sometimes it's all about going for face with a backup plan of how to get yourself out of a shitty situation. It'll click over time how to approach matches better, building decks etc - watching hafu, trump, kripp offer pretty good insight towards this as well. Personally I net a lot more gold out of arena than I lose - I didn't always, but over time, just like anything else with practice, you get better at it.

The best I've done was with a Mage and Druid deck. My mage deck had 2 wyrms and an ass load of spells. I had got some really good draws and got one of my wryms up to 7 and the other to about 5 attack. I had 2 fireballs and a pyroblast and about 3-4 cards with +1 spell damage. It was a fun deck. I also just started recently so I'm missing a boat load of cards and it sucks but yeah game can get stale sometimes and I really fucking hate murlock decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Slott View Post
    There was a fantastic article I read on reddit about arena drafts that really changes the way you think of building a deck. We've all seen really annoying combos (turn 1 faerie dragon into turn 2 argent protector) or swords galore, consecrates, flame strikes etc, but these cards don't really make or break a deck. Winning in arena isn't always about smart trades either - sometimes it's all about going for face with a backup plan of how to get yourself out of a shitty situation. It'll click over time how to approach matches better, building decks etc - watching hafu, trump, kripp offer pretty good insight towards this as well. Personally I net a lot more gold out of arena than I lose - I didn't always, but over time, just like anything else with practice, you get better at it.

In general if you play well and pick well, you should be able to average 5-6 wins, but only because the people you play against make bad decisions when drafting and playing. Shitty drafts where you have terrible choices and no redeeming bombs in your deck you probably still go 3 wins or so because other people are so bad. But even the best drafted decks may not reach 7 because you draw dead while your opponents are playing great board control cards, and then they drop a bomb card like rag or ysera.

A few drafts ago I was offered a legendary choice where it was 2 bad legendaries and milhouse manastorm. Took milhouse because what the hell, at least he might be useful. Twice I got him out on turn 1 (coin-milhouse) and both times they had an instant answer for him. 5 cards drawn and they have an answer for a 4/4 on turn 2? Wish I had that draw luck...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I think perfect play/draft will usually net 8-9 wins, actually. Just look at the "pro" arena players and their average is generally in that area.

Of course as the meta becomes more understood by others you'd expect the average to be much lower, but that's probably a ways off. Personally I feel that a "bad" arena draft is just as common as a "great" arena draft, so if you're consistently going 5 or less wins you really need to spend some time learning how to draft/play. Not saying I'm great or anything, my average is still like 6.5 or something like that, just breaking even over the long run with a few 10's/11's thrown in there (12 is still elusive). I've kind of stopped playing arena though, waiting for more classes and a better meta. Just really completing quests and buying packs to fill in my constructed decks now.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    In general if you play well and pick well, you should be able to average 5-6 wins, but only because the people you play against make bad decisions when drafting and playing. Shitty drafts where you have terrible choices and no redeeming bombs in your deck you probably still go 3 wins or so because other people are so bad. But even the best drafted decks may not reach 7 because you draw dead while your opponents are playing great board control cards, and then they drop a bomb card like rag or ysera.

A few drafts ago I was offered a legendary choice where it was 2 bad legendaries and milhouse manastorm. Took milhouse because what the hell, at least he might be useful. Twice I got him out on turn 1 (coin-milhouse) and both times they had an instant answer for him. 5 cards drawn and they have an answer for a 4/4 on turn 2? Wish I had that draw luck...
    This pretty much sums up my entire arena experience, 5-6 wins on average with pretty average drafts. I went up against a rogue the other day with not just 1, not 2, but 4 eviscerates. It's awesome having no minions for 4 consecutive turns. RNG-sus hates my face.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    I think perfect play/draft will usually net 8-9 wins, actually. Just look at the "pro" arena players and their average is generally in that area.

Of course as the meta becomes more understood by others you'd expect the average to be much lower, but that's probably a ways off. Personally I feel that a "bad" arena draft is just as common as a "great" arena draft, so if you're consistently going 5 or less wins you really need to spend some time learning how to draft/play. Not saying I'm great or anything, my average is still like 6.5 or something like that, just breaking even over the long run with a few 10's/11's thrown in there (12 is still elusive). I've kind of stopped playing arena though, waiting for more classes and a better meta. Just really completing quests and buying packs to fill in my constructed decks now.
    I had a round where I started against mages and had this going on:

only to get a bunch of easy matchups and perfect draws and turn it into this:

when i finally ran into another mage at 9 wins

since then I've only played like 3 arena and they were a 5ish win, a 1 win, and a 3 win, and pretty much all of the losses even in hindsight I saw no possible plays I could have turned it into a win with

In my opinion arena comes down almost entirely to who gets the most/best 3 drops and the best support for them (usually solid board controlling 2/4 drops)... and mages. The occasional exceptions like perfect druid drafts or perfect hunter or war rush drafts are really much more rare to actually draft a complete one than you might think.

STR-1 DEX-1
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

A key for whoever wants it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast