+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level

I just had a guy in arena sit there when I had ragnaros in my hand ready to play... he had 1 mana left, a taunt, a large minion, and a small minion, no reason to think the taunt was going down anytime soon, the minions not in danger if it did, had ice block and frost armor both up still as secrets and over 20 hp...

oh, and I had 1 minion out and it was frozen

Sat there for like 35 seconds deciding then played mirror images.

Am I wrong in thinking that's an absolutely senseless play, and the exact opposite of what you should do there (i.e. save them in case you need taunts)... unless you know for a fact that I have rag and am hoping to pick something off and even up the board that way?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Unless you feel the player has an AoE, there's no reason to not play it, especially late game.

Probably deciding whether or not to spend that 1 mana now or need to spend it later.

I had a shitty arena draft choice on a rogue deck where I was forced to pick up sinister strike (1 mana for 3 dmg to the hero), and I had to make the same decision several times during that run. "This card could be used for a combo later, or to deal a finishing blow without board control...don't really need to cast it now...but later I'll need to spend a mana on this..." It can be an agonizing decision.

Rogue deck ended up going 11-3 Only lost to two bomb cards (cairne on a mage, ragnaros on a rogue that came down to a 50/50 whether he hit a decoy minion) and a mage that topdecked fireball and pyroblast when facing a hopeless board situation.

Ridill
    BG Level

i still just have a few 9 win runs, nothing higher

seems like almost all of my losses in arena are to either mages, or people that drew shit that's like... if you got to know exactly what I was going to draw and pick and play with a 15 card deck out of anything in the game to counter it, their hand is pretty much what you'd come up with

but then when I get shit like a mage deck with 2 blizzards 2 flamestrikes 3 fireballs etc., out of all those spells I see 1 fireball and 1 blizzard the whole run, while going 2-3... guess I should have picked the fireball it offered with my first flamestrike when I already had 3 fireballs

Ridill
    BG Level

oh and I had a hilarious war deck that went to 9 wins... 2 fiery war axe, a weaponsmith, a couple armorsmiths, decent removal, a bunch of decent cheap stuff... and then an endgame of 4 arcanite reapers and 2 gorehowls

2 of the 3 losses I got to ~12 cards left in my deck with 1 weapon coming out...

the last I just got shit on by a double mana wyrm coin combo into turn 2 arcane missiles and mirror images, which is fucking infuriating in arena, especially when you're 9-2 at the time

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

God damn I suck ass at this.

Yeah it's frustrating sometimes. Losing to legendaries has to be the worst, though. Great, you have Fordring and in-hand for turn 8. Or rag. Yay, the best thing I was offered was a defender of argus.

Lost another one to ragnaros, at 0-0 even. Meanwhile I am on about 10 arenas without being even offered a legendary. Good times.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Got Black Knight in my draft that I did this morning. Didn't even draw him for the first 5 or 6 games. I'm at 11-2, facing a Druid. I Black Knight his Sunwalker, he drops a taunt Ancient of War. I Youthful my Black Knight, he conceeds. Can't say I blame him.

Ridill
    BG Level

are these people fucking paying blizzard for better arena cards and luck or what?

that was his own tinkmaster, on his silenced mana tide totem...

that's turn 11 btw, turn 10 was killing a taunt with an elemental then brewing it to kill something else...

Ridill
    BG Level

is there something I'm not realizing about arena and ridiculous amounts of huge late game mobs?

I feel like I'm playing terrible players with horrifying mana curves and just not having any chance because it's not like I can kill them on turn 5 in arena, and then trying to deal with 6+ drops for like 8 rounds in a row and of course this is when my cheapos decide to come out.

Yeah, thats the new meta.

I like having 5+ bruisers now. That doesn't stop me not drawing them until 10 cards left in my deck.

Ridill
    BG Level

I'm being trolled by this game.

beating this guy's ass til he topdecks a hammer of wrath (his 3rd btw), which gets him something i dealt with, then topdecks a stormwind champ... then topdecks ysera

lol... next game... 2nd hunter in the last 4-5 games I've played that had a better version of constructed beasts deck

Legendaries in arena. Literally the worst.

Anyway, in oct/nov I generally tried to draft 10-12 cards I could play by turn 3, then mostly 4-5 drops with ~2 bruisers--6+ casting cost drops with at least 5/6 -- enough to kill yetis, and only susceptible to hard removal or fireball/pyro--and 2 board clears.

Now I find that people aren't picking small creatures anymore--I've seen so many decks that have dropped 6+ mana creatures for 4 or 5 turns in a row; my consecrates/hellfires have been sitting dead in hand. So my new meta--fill with bruisers and hope you don't get fucked early by curve and running into a rush deck. I'm currently running a deck with boulderfist, 2x stormwind champ, guardian of kings, and war golem (and spiteful smith which almost counts). If I draw against a rush deck--particularly rogue and shaman--I will almost certainly lose. But I'm often getting matchups where people are playing a similar distribution, and my superior play and slightly better drafting strategies generally win out.

Except when my opponent drops rag or fordring.

Also argh @ keeper of the grove. Just faced a guy with 2. It's a 2/4 with ping-2 (or silence) for 4 mana. Compare with the neutral which is 4/2 (much worse than 2/4 imo) with only ping-2 for 5.

e: the shift in the meta may be due to an influx of new players who think "ooh, high damage, shiny", or it may be a reaction to mage board clear, as you need at least 5 toughness to survive the inevitable turn 7 flamestrike.

Ridill
    BG Level

so yeah that mage deck was 1-2 after that retarded shit then I won 5 straight

then I got someone that flooded the board with cheap minions and 19 fucking cards into my deck I had 0 of my 3 cone of cold, 1 blizzard, 1 flamestrike, and 2 arcane explosion ever came out

Ridill
    BG Level

also ^ this is why people rage at people saying "well played" when games were nothing of the sort

oh and I've done 4 arena runs today and every pack has been 4 commons and 1 rare and every single card has been one I had

Ridill
    BG Level

5/5 on 4-6 wins and 4common/1rare all cards I had

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I still find the game much more satisfying playing for dailys and avoiding the arena all together. I really hope they add stuff like a dungeon mode and some sort of constructed deck tournament mode.

Lost to another rag. That's 3 rags, fordring and a cairne lost to since the last time I was even offered a legendary.

e: well, I just proved the curve. Played against a priest and went through the entire deck, and the whole time he played the following cheap cards:
    2 shadow word pains
    1 shadow word death
    2 northshire clerics
    1 sunfury protector
    1 ancient watcher

That's everything <=3 mana for the entire match.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

I think it depends highly on the class you're playing. Rogue can't get away without playing a low drop, while paladin, shaman and maybe priest can.