+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    So how do I "git gud" at this game? I can't even beat a class on practice...
    I think you'd have to elaborate on what exactly you're struggling with. I would play an easy class like Mage if you're just starting, something like Rogue might be a little tougher if you have no clue what's going on.

I had troubles with this at first too, eventually I just went into play on casual. Playing real players was a lot easy than beating the AI.

Aaaaaand lost to Baron Geddon. It's like I have a 90% win rate against decks that don't have a ridiculous bomb legendary, but keep running into stupid cards.

e: ran into another mage running rag at 0-0 on my next run. I won though with a clever backstab on my own spiteful smith.

maintain board control. grind out quests till you get some value blues. fix your deck's mana curve. don't waste your removal spells (transmorg, assassinate).

i think hunter is the easiest to learn, has synergy with a lot of neutral cards, can maintain board control early and ping you down with direct damage towards the later rounds.

Also, try to "trade up" your creatures -- if you can trade a low-cost creature for a high-cost creature straight up, it's usually a good plan. A good example of this is worgen infiltrator -- 2/1 stealth for 1. This card can trades for any 3/2 or 2/2 that the opponent may drop. That's generally a good exchange to make.

Even better, if you can wipe out a creature without losing your own, that's awesome and should be one of the the first strategies you evaluate. IE, if your opponent has a 4/5 (yeti) and you have a 5/5 (stranglethorn tiger), don't be afraid to run it over, leaving you with a 5/1. Sure, he might have a way to ping it off, but generally that takes a card and mana, so you've still gained. Even in the worst case -- you're playing against a mage and he pings it off -- you have forced him to spend 2 mana this turn and 6 overall on the exchange (plus he can only ping once, so you may get an additional turn with a 3/1 or 4/1 that is also on the board), which will restrict his ability to drop aggressively this turn. For every other class, this exchange will look even better: druid or rogue will take significant damage if they use their hero abilities, and everyone else is generally forced to use at least one card to even up the exchange.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Read Trump's Neutral Common Guide and AntiGravity's Class Rankings list. While written for Arena, it has constructed deck applications but more importantly, it will familiarize you with what's available to you and their strengths. From there, it is practice and learning the combo's/play style of each class.

Yay: I can draft 5 druids of the claw but then go 15 cards without drawing any.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Well, I hit the wall with my no legendary and no epic Priest deck. Rank 13, I started to lose some games, now at rank 9 I'm stuck. Winning 50% of my games. It was a good experience though, because I suck with Priest, and I learned a lot about the play style. Gonna try the same next season with the other class I hate, Warlock.

Heh, this guy's toast.

Ridill
    BG Level

lemme know when you're done with that run I'm not queuing arena before then ;p

also if you had my luck that shaman would be a mage with 3 fireballs and 2 frostbolts in his hand

Lost to deathwing.

Swear to god most of my losses are to legendaries these days.

e: got offered a mage to draft. Took it. 0 fireballs 0 polys. Thanks!

First game opponent: turn 1 mana wyrm, turn 2 apprentice frostbolt. Fucking stupid.

Ridill
    BG Level

super fucking fun getting divine favor when both sides are top decking and watching your opponent topdeck doomhammer followed by topdeck earth elem followed by topdeck earth shock on the turn you play kings

especially after he played like an utter fucking moron and somehow managed to stay in the game despite burning an earth shock a stormforged axe that got oozed and 2 lightning bolts in the first 3 turns, all on 2/1 1 drops because I'm doing the meek shall inherit

Lost to rag again

e: And again. So the last 3 losses I have 2 from rag.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I had some good games tonight, and finally saw a Warlock Murloc rush deck. Honestly, it's a pretty stupid, no brains deck to play, if you can get the cards together. Turn 1 blood imp didn't hurt either... Only time I've ever seen more force on the board faster was the perfect Hunter draw deck pic I posted a page or so back.

Best game was against a deck with a lot of legendaries, several of which were golden. I was on mage, and its a deck that has my only two legendaries, Milhouse and Gruel, and one Defender of Argus; everything else is a common or stock card. I didn't even see my two legendaries, but the game lasted a very long time, with us trading board control for a long while, until he inevitably out-lasted me with all of the epics and rares he fielded. It's nice to get a Well Played in that situation.

No Ragnaros sighting for some time now. =/

Still more retardedly bad luck. Opp paladin plays raptor into argent protector into questing adventurer + divine shield into the buff sword....why can't I get that kind of draw luck?

Lost to Archmage Antonidas.

Later: warrior topdecks a nightblade and charge to deal 9 damage which is exactly what he needs to win immediately, in the face of massive lethal.

Lost to Antonidas again + pyro after enduring 2 flamestrikes and still having the upper hand. Pretty silly.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    I had some good games tonight, and finally saw a Warlock Murloc rush deck. Honestly, it's a pretty stupid, no brains deck to play, if you can get the cards together. Turn 1 blood imp didn't hurt either... Only time I've ever seen more force on the board faster was the perfect Hunter draw deck pic I posted a page or so back.
    to be fair murlock is only brainless if your opponent gets terrible draw or is just plain stupid, AND you get a good draw as well (there's a reason murloc decks are almost exclusively murlock, if you don't draw the good stuff when you need it you're just hopeless)

anybody with the capability to deal 3 damage to a minion on demand can make a murlock's life miserable... or the ability to keep the board generally clear through turn 6, or carry a 1/x taunt, etc.

it actually takes a lot more care to babysit a murlock board than most rush decks, since everything hangs on everything else being there, else you're just throwing around a silly amount of 2/1's that nobody's going to be bothered by... that's why it's probably the most uncommon rush deck to see these days outside the high end

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

A deck can't be un-reliable and rely on good draws to be considered a 'high end' deck. If we both mean 'high end' deck to be a high Rank deck, then it has to be able to achieve consistent results, and win, otherwise, it can't hold that high Rank. Theme decks are, almost by definition, consistent because they assemble like cards in order to achieve a specific outcome, so for a Murloc deck, there's no reason to put non-Murloc cards in aside from some removal/taunt and passive buff minions like Blood Imp. The likely reason it's more un-common is that it takes all of the Murloc cards to build, as well as some specific warlock cards, and unless you've opened a lot of packs, and crafted specifically for it, you won't have the cards to build a consistent performance deck. I understand that draws will always be a big factor, but that well crafted deck will minimize that possibility by having the right ratio of cards to more consistently get a draw that leads to a good start.

Ridill
    BG Level

if you don't get a warleader, or get a good time to lay a warleader down, you're pretty much just entirely fucked

this is why murloc is lock or bust, you really need to be able to force more cards out

also murloc is definitely one of the cheapest high end decks to make, it really is just a matter of people thinking it's purely dump murlocs on the board and failing or being good and jumping to the top making it so you rarely see them in low-mid ranks

personally I don't think there's a deck out there that's more demanding in terms of knowing what your opponent wants to do at all times and being able to surmise what's in their hand

Ridill
    BG Level

that said I wouldn't call it "inconsistent" as it's all about that warleader, and one or both of those is usually going to come out in the first 15-20 cards; I just meant that for it to be brainless facerape the exact right cards have to come down in the exact right order while your opponent has nothing to stop it