1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 22 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 37 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 20 hours, 22 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 13 hours, 37 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 159 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level

I'm edging up on 50 GSM and haven't touched any other crafts yet. So far my go-to strategy has been to fish for good with Great Strides up. Basically using Great Strides at every opportunity, then popping my other abilities and edging progress up for two turns unless a 'good' shows up. Strides converts the +~50% bonus from 'good' into +~100% bonus. I'm going to start going into other crafts soon [not legacy], but I was wondering how TotT compares to fishing for good condition with Strides. The two strategies are directly opposed, since both rely on using 'Good Condition', one for CP and one for quality.

Edit: Also once in a while Excellent shows up and I get over 1,200 quality in one turn. Those are good times.

Excellent is essentially a free HQ as long as you have the durability and CP to afford a touch, lovely when they happen but fuck all how random they come.

I can't speak to your situation from first hand experience since I had all the skills from the get-go (save CUL, the one class in the game I wasn't gonna level, now I gotta get it to at least 37 -_-) but assuming you only have GSM skills to work with I think it might be more efficient to not hedge your bets on a Good popping up during Great Strides and just try and up your gains on average with Inner Quiet and Innovation.

Idk how much CP innovation is off hand (FFXIVDB doesn't have it listed and a few other sites I checked are outdated) but simply coasting thru synths with IQ and Innov. and throwing out the highest tier touch you can afford when Good does pop up might give you better returns overall rather than banking on something that might not happen.

As for ALC and TotD, I generally only use TotD when a Good pops up and I don't have a durability saving skill active, if I do I just use whatever touch I can afford without risking a CP deficit towards the end of the synth so as not to waste a turn of the durability skill (a calculator is handy to have when figuring out just how to squeeze the most out of your CP), often times it's just basic touch unless it's a material synth, in which case you have an abundance of CP to burn through on considerably less durability so Standard or even Advanced is sometimes doable.

Keep in mind though that my crafting strategy is going to be quite different due to the skills available, essentially my goal is to get as many successful basic touches as possible in order to finish with a super charged Byregot's + Great Strides, even if that means just using Basic on Goods to preserve CP for more Basics. The general idea is to not on favorable crafting conditions (a random factor) to maximize quality.

Unfortunately crafting is still largely horizontal as it was in 1.0 in terms of overall improvement, the ceiling for crafting potential is pretty low without multiple crafts leveled.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

I don't see the point yet in using some of these abilities but I think it's because my CP is a bit reserved.

32 CP + 18 CP (Great Strides and a Basic Touch) yields the same quality increase as two Basic Touches (18 CP + 18 CP) in order to save one round of durability (since Great Strides does not take up a move). That is wasteful CP for lower levels before Standard Touch.

However it seems to break even with any Standard Touch or Advanced Touch - as Great Strides + Standard Touch (32 CP + 38(32?) CP) saves you 6 CP while the Advanced Touch (52 CP) saves you 20. IF YOU PROC.

I only use TotT when I'm really low on CP but have plenty of durability left. It will grant you at least one more Basic Touch if you run out of CP. Before I run out of CP I would not use it, but again that is probably different at level 50 with more CP at your disposal.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

For people on legacy servers, has anyone started crafting the ilvl70 stuff yet? Do people buy it? I haven't made it to end-game on my combat classes yet (mostly been crafting since the game's been out), but the weapons at least seem about equivalent to the primal hard mode stuff, and I've already seen a bunch of people walking around with those.

Given how hard (and costly) the two-star stuff is to make and the lack of gil sources for non-crafters, I'm not sure there will actually be demand to make these worth it at all. Can anyone chime in on this?

Also, where do the extra materials you need 9 of (Peacock Ore, Coke, etc.) come from? Are they dungeon drops or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Is there a lower limit on recipe level that will still give spiritbond? Like how lowbie enemies don't give SB for battle jobs.
    I know that if I'm synthing Iron on BSM (Lv16), it doesn't give any progress on Lv40+ gear, so there is a cutoff. Dunno exactly where the cutoff is, though.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelan? View Post
    Also, where do the extra materials you need 9 (Peacock Ore, Coke, etc.) of come from? Are they dungeon drops or something?
    Same set of NPCs who trade Tomestones.

Also, where do the extra materials you need 9 (Peacock Ore, Coke, etc.) of come from? Are they dungeon drops or something?
    They're bought from one of Rowena's girls for Philo stones.

125 apiece. 9 are needed to make 1 their resulting material.

Also means there's no HQs, so you've got a synth of 9 NQ items and 2 HQs (if you made them).

Yea....I'm not really touching those synths until they're more reasonably obtained or used in more reasonable amounts.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I know that if I'm synthing Iron on BSM (Lv16), it doesn't give any progress on Lv40+ gear, so there is a cutoff. Dunno exactly where the cutoff is, though.
    I would wager that stuff 11 levels below you (39 and below, at 50) is the cutoff. Only basing this off the fact that this is the same threshold that agro mobs will ignore players.

At what dLvl do synths stop giving exp?

(do they ever stop? or just diminish exponentially? I can't say I've ever cared to notice)

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I think they just diminish. DoL for example still gets tiny amounts of exp for gathering shards (lv1) and lowbie mats. I believe lowbie synths for DoH also work this way. So it's possible spiritbind is still being generated unless spiritbind cutoff is different from exp cutoff. If it is still happening then it's so tiny you'd probably need hundredsof garbage low level synths to make any progress.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

When I tested it, I did 100 synths and the % didn't move at all. So it either cuts off completely or it's so small it might as well be zero.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by cassiraa View Post
    So far my go-to strategy has been to fish for good with Great Strides up. Basically using Great Strides at every opportunity, then popping my other abilities and edging progress up for two turns unless a 'good' shows up.
    Seems like that would be a conflict between gaining too much progress to get many Great Strides attempts and losing massive chunks of durability to progress actions. Speaking for myself, I would really only be able to do that once, as there's no synth that I can't finish in 4 progress actions (Careful Synthesis II, 120% progress/100% success).

My strategy is basically to spam Steady Hand + Hasty Touch, so my quality gains come almost entirely out of my durability pool (instead of durability+CP, as Basic/Standard/Advanced Touch do). The general idea is to spam Steady+Hasty until durability is low, use Manipulation, wash rinse repeat, mixing in CZ and TotT as needed. Once my durability bar is about 60-70% full (depending on how it got there), I'll burn Steady+Great Strides+Byregot's for the finish.

I'm going to start going into other crafts soon [not legacy], but I was wondering how TotT compares to fishing for good condition with Strides.
    I always use TotT on Good, unless a) I'm near CP overflow or b) I'm far enough in the synth that Inner Quiet's control bonus means that the +50% quality bonus (from Good condition) is likely to put me at Byregot stage. In the early game, CP is much more valuable than the limited amount of extra quality a Good will give you.

Edit: Also once in a while Excellent shows up and I get over 1,200 quality in one turn. Those are good times.
    Yeah, the thing about Excellent (particularly if you use Advanced touch) is if it fails, you face a significant setback. In fact, I would strongly recommend against using Byregot's (without Steady Hand) on an Excellent unless you're in desperation mode, because if it fails, you basically lost the HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    I only use TotT when I'm really low on CP but have plenty of durability left. It will grant you at least one more Basic Touch if you run out of CP. Before I run out of CP I would not use it, but again that is probably different at level 50 with more CP at your disposal.
    You really should not be using Basic Touch; Hasty Touch just destroys it. Put bluntly, I'm not sure it's even worth crafting for quality without Hasty Touch. After spending more time crafting, I'd say it's probably the most important class-specific crafting ability in the game (TotT is close, though). There's really no substitute.

edit: Actually, I'd say it's more like...

low level: 1) TotT, 2) Hasty Touch, 3) Rumination
    high level: 1) Hasty Touch, 2) Byregot's Blessing, 3) TotT

Ingenuity (II) and Careful Synthesis (II) get honorable mention. I don't have Innovation though, so I can't speak to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    At what dLvl do synths stop giving exp?

(do they ever stop? or just diminish exponentially? I can't say I've ever cared to notice)
    I want to say that I've never seen any synth (even 50*) give exp to my LV50 crafters, though maybe my filters are off.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Is there anywhere (or does anyone have), a list of the things that needed to be crafted for the every 5 level quests for each class?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

You're awesome, that link should be added to the OP.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Steady Hand
    Has anyone else noticed that the tooltip for Steady Hand (increases success by 20%) is different than the icon for the buff itself (10%)? I haven't verified it, but one of my LSmates mentioned it. Also, has anyone failed an 80% success action (e.g. Standard Touch) with Steady Hand I active? I'm not entirely sure whether the success bonus is additive (80% + 20% = 100% success rate) or multiplicative (80% * 1.2 = 96% success rate).
    I just failed an Advanced Touch with Steady Hands up. Seems it's multiplicative.

I had previously thought I saw a failed Standard Touch, but I was using a macro, so I wasn't sure. This just happened while I was actively crafting, to confirm it.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I want to say that I've never seen any synth (even 50*) give exp to my LV50 crafters, though maybe my filters are off.
    You simply don't get any exp at lv50 because you're at cap, so that's to be expected.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by zsuper View Post
    I just failed an Advanced Touch with Steady Hands up. Seems it's multiplicative.

I had previously thought I saw a failed Standard Touch, but I was using a macro, so I wasn't sure. This just happened while I was actively crafting, to confirm it.
    Are you absolutely positive Steady Hand was up?

Advanced Touch has a base success rate of 90%. 90% * 1.2 = 108% success, so if you failed, that means that Steady Hand is not success +20% (or * 120%), and may actually be success * 110%.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    You simply don't get any exp at lv50 because you're at cap, so that's to be expected.
    Don't you still get a log message for exp per kill on a LV50 battle job?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Battle jobs don't get exp at cap either. But spiritbind still goes up since my 50 quest tools have some.

That SpellCast Guy
    BG Level

Advanced Touch has a base success rate of 90%. 90% * 1.2 = 108% success, so if you failed, that means that Steady Hand is not success +20% (or * 120%), and may actually be success * 110%.
    Multiplicative and being 10% instead of 20% (which is the percentage shown in the buff tooltip, but not the ability description) is probably the main possibility if he actually did have it up.

But if that's the way it works, that seriously reduces the effectiveness of it on something like Hasty Touch. Instead of taking it from 50% to 70% or some of the other possibilities, it would be 50% -> 55% which probably isn't even worth using. You've said that you generally spam Hasty Touch, could you possibly track your sucess rate with it while Steady Hand is on for a while?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I'll start tracking for what it's worth but honestly if Steady only buffs Hasty to 55% then I'm absurdly lucky.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 159 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast