1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 2 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 21 hours, 8 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 19 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 14 hours, 8 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 159 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast
    Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amiricle Mihgo
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    I'll start tracking for what it's worth but honestly if Steady only buffs Hasty to 55% then I'm absurdly lucky.
    I haven't been tracing mine either, but this would be the case for me as well.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Speaking of Steady Hand, did they fix the tooltip and/or skill description with this recent patch (has anyone checked)? They're usually good at putting in any localization revisions into even the small patches, and they responded back on Sept.3rd about the issue, but they neglected to mention which percentage was correct.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...=1#post1165819

That SpellCast Guy
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Speaking of Steady Hand, did they fix the tooltip and/or skill description with this recent patch (has anyone checked)? They're usually good at putting in any localization revisions into even the small patches, and they responded back on Sept.3rd about the issue, but they neglected to mention which percentage was correct.
    Nope, still exactly the same - 20% on ability description, 10% on buff tooltip.

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    I'll start tracking for what it's worth but honestly if Steady only buffs Hasty to 55% then I'm absurdly lucky.
    Afaik, tool tips have universally been incorrect when they differ from the help window descriptions, so if Steady is indeed multiplicative then it would give you a 60% success rate on HH.

I highly doubt one can eyeball a difference between 60% and 70%.

On that note, I generally use Steady+Basic (HH is only used when I have durability to spare but Basic would drop me below 56 CP) and there's no way in hell I could tell you whether it feels like I'm getting an 84% (mult) or 90% (add) success rate.

If it is indeed multiplicative then at least I can slack off on getting Steady II for a bit longer since it wouldn't increase Basic from 90->100% but rather from 84->91%.

Old Merits
    BG Level

It's also possible that there's a cap at 98% or 99%. That would explain why Steady&Hasty is effective, but it's possible to break a 90% steady synth.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by cassiraa View Post
    It's also possible that there's a cap at 98% or 99%. That would explain why Steady&Hasty is effective, but it's possible to break a 90% steady synth.
    That'd make careful synthesis pretty silly, unless they used flags to decide which skills don't get capped. I'd like to also chime in and say that my hasty success rate seems way to high to be only 60%. But eyeballing is incredibly inaccurate.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have never failed Steady + Byregot's (90% success), and the day I do, tables will be flipped. I need to hurry up get CUL to 37 so I can use Steady Hand II and leave all this worrying to the peasants.

To be perfectly blunt, I think the most likely scenario is that the previous poster lost count on his SH and it had worn off. I'm not going to straight up say POIDH, but this recent post will not change my strategy.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alethea Khethys
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have never failed Steady + Byregot's (90% success), and the day I do, tables will be flipped. I need to hurry up get CUL to 37 so I can use Steady Hand II and leave all this worrying to the peasants.

To be perfectly blunt, I think the most likely scenario is that the previous poster lost count on his SH and it had worn off. I'm not going to straight up say POIDH, but this recent post will not change my strategy.
    Going to have to second this for similar reasons, I've finished hundreds of various yarn synths with simple Steady Hands/Great Strides/Standard Touch spam and not once has Standard Touch failed while I've had Steady Hands active.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have never failed Steady + Byregot's (90% success), and the day I do, tables will be flipped.
    Yeah, this basically. I've done hundreds (possibly thousands) of Stead+Basic Synth by now and I've never seen it fail. I'm pretty sure I saw it happen at some point back in Beta 3, but it got changed and that's no longer possible.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neviskio Mordekaiser
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Crushridge

Well since the absurd delay is still there for me I resorted on slowly leveling all my crafting classes, right now got them all to 16, but besides the delay I'm starting to encounter issues, I'm not very good at crafting so bear with me, hopefully I shouldn't have posted elsewhere:

At low levels sub 50 and generally around 15-30 for now, how would you go for making hq's for mats and completed items?

I am trying a few things mostly going for mats creation with inner quiet + steady hand into waste not and then spamming basic touch/hasty touch(w/e is called the cul15 one) for quality and the WVR15 one for completing crafts.I barely use any of the other 15 abilities but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, maybe the 20 cp back on good status makes sense to use sometimes?

For hq items I generally do something similar, thinking about using innovation(think is arm or bsm15?) or something, but again not sure on this.

I'm progressing really slow right now due to making not enough HQ's for leves, and generally not yet in range of 3x leves, any quick tips for going a bit quicker atleast till 20? I know about the first completion bonus and always try for hq but still...feels slowish.Also now I need aldgoat skins which are really expensive on market and I'm a damn lazy bastard, I like dol mechanics but going to grind myotragus makes me cringe, wish they didn't go the grindy way with diremite/aldgoat/etc mats -_-

Also i hate culinarian and fishing...goddammit cul takes 150194010 million mats for craft, and fishing, I don't know, I can't find a game where I enjoy it, so bored of it I'm going to label it a spawn of satan and forget it's existence probably... really need to find a way to powerlevel culinarian without killing myself on inventory management and all the damn mats -_-

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Neviskio View Post
    At low levels sub 50 and generally around 15-30 for now, how would you go for making hq's for mats and completed items?
    Hmm, it's hard to say, because at that level, the number of cross-class skills you can set is limited. Manipulation and/or Waste Not are nice, but all my crafting experiences are at 30 or higher in ARR.

If you don't have room for more skills, then your only choice is just somehow better your gear and/or food, but something tells me at that level, you're just at the mercy of cruel cruel luck.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I have never failed Steady Hand (20%) and Standard Touch (80%). Now I've probably only used it 2-400x or so, but yeah...I've had 98% chance HQ's be NQ's and never had that combo fail.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I am trying a few things mostly going for mats creation with inner quiet + steady hand into waste not and then spamming basic touch/hasty touch(w/e is called the cul15 one) for quality and the WVR15 one for completing crafts.I barely use any of the other 15 abilities but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, maybe the 20 cp back on good status makes sense to use sometimes?

For hq items I generally do something similar, thinking about using innovation(think is arm or bsm15?) or something, but again not sure on this.
    Because HQ/Quality gets you XP, I always shoot to get as much as I can on everything.
    At L15 my three go to action sets were Hasty Touch, Careful Synthesis, and Tricks of the Trade

You Inner Quiet, (if good, pop a TotT), Steady Hand, (if good, pop a TotT), Hasty Touch until 10 Durability or IQ runs out, (again using TotT as it shows, unless you're full on CP, in which case it can be Touched).
    Pop Masters Mend. If it's not a 40 durability synth, now is a good time to do Careful until you're 1 away from completion, and hit Mend again when you are max durability-30. Remember to TotT every Good whilst doing so.
    Once you finish the Synths, go back to Hasty Touches. Unless you had an insane number of Goods, do not bother popping a Steady Hand, you won't have the CP.

If you are lucky, you'll get a total of three Mends.
    After your third Mend, don't bother with TotT, just Touch the Goods, though if you get one right after the Mend, you might consider TotTing it so you can Steady Hand.
    If after the second Mend, you only have ~40 CP, you're going to have to make judgement the call if you'll get enough goods to hit 92. If not, pop a Steady Hand, Hasty unless you get a Good and have CP for the first Touch, and ride it out.

This does not guarantee you 100% Quality, but I've found it is your regular and most consistent chance to do so, despite the inconsistency of Hasty and Good.

Lastly, always, ALWAYS, use your highest chance of success Touch if Excellent pops up, CP be damned. If you are still far enough from completion, do a Careful during the Poor.

Yes, Waste Not is way better than Mend, but you ONLY have three action slots right now, it's your 4th action at 20, not third at 15. Waste Not does not recover CP. (It also doesn't recover durability. It is great at giving you more steps, but you always need resource RECOVERY when up against the wall.)
    Rumination can be better than TotT, but I've found with Hasty, it's more random than taking what Goods you get. Also Rum wipes your IQ bonus, not something you want near the end unless you are REALLY damn close.

I have never had to use Innovation, I am never more than a level or two away from what I'm making.

A caveat though, I'm doing all this with a FULL set of HQ gear for my level, ALL slots (which has been the case since L10). A note to that though, is I made all that HQ gear myself in single attempts, using HQ mats I gathered or synthed myself.

Also, if you're hurting for XP, It's not as sexy as leves, but do complete every entry in your log, it's not an insignificant amount.

And yes, CUL and ALC are real bastards on inventory. I do all eight crafts, and basically both retainers are full on mats. With CUL, I have just had to set a rule, every time I complete a log page and get the next one, any materials no longer on my shopping list (except for some core stuff, salt, XIV Mirepoix [Onion, Carrot, Garlic], etc.) get NPCed into gil. And I only go and gather CUL mats right before I do CUL synths. You can do the same for ALC, but it's a bit worse for having old items reappear several pages later.

With fishing, if the fish does not have "Crafting Material" in it's info box, you can just NPC it, it has no use besides maybe a GC turn in, and I EXTREMELY rarely see fish lower than your highest level bait range show up.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neviskio Mordekaiser
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Crushridge

Thanks that was awesome info, on wvr I guess you'd use waste not as your third having already careful synthesis(and same on cul having hasty touch/alch with tott), if it isn't too much to ask, how would you then go adding waste not into the rotation? I ask because your setup improved my crafting ten times over, I used to have plenty of "easy" hq but harder ones were mostly a failure, and now I can instead make my whole gear hq/and work the leves much better.I think your info might be usefull in the op for people like me trying to slog through the early levels? I for sure wouldn't have got to that point probably being a crafting idiot <.<

also: is it worth to meld level 1 materias sub lvl 25? Kinda not sure if it's worth selling these for 800g-2k gil or if they give enough to be worth melding in gear =P

edit: best use of great strides? got only weaver at 21, trying to learn more, still thanks again, improved my crafting so much I broke lvl 20 in a breeze with everything hq =P

This is something that just happened to occur to me.

When using Waste Not (either), you can "waste" one of your turns with the skill active (steady hand, TotT, whatever) without actually losing out as this will ultimately leave you with 5 durability for your last action, essentially recovering that "lost" turn.

Ex. 40 Durability synth done without wasting any turns of Waste Not on non-synth actions.

40 -> Waste Not -> [synth] -> 35 -> [synth] -> 30 -> [synth] -> 25 -> [synth] -> 20 -> [synth] -> 10 -> [synth] -> 0

vs the same synth but "wasting" one tic of Waste Not on a non-synth action.

40 -> Waste Not -> [some other skill] -> [synth] -> 35 -> [synth] -> 30 -> [synth] -> 25 -> [synth] -> 15 -> [synth] -> 5 -> [synth] -> 0

In both cases you get 6 synth actions in because the having 5 or 10 durability at the end of a synth makes no difference, so you might as well "waste" 5 durability early in the synth in order to gain some other bonus (steady hand) because at the end of the synth that 5 durability is more or less "regained" when you're left with 5 durability for the final action instead of 10.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yeah, I mentioned that a while back. It's a good reason why WN1 is more CP efficient (in practice) than WN2: with WN1, you only have to use durability actions on (at least) 3 of the next 4 turns to maintain the same CP efficiency, while on WN2 you have to use durability actions on at least 7 of the next 8 turns to maintain WN2's CP efficiency.

However, keep in mind that this only applies the first time you do it on a synth; if you use Waste Not at a durability value ending in 5, then you have to use all four turns on durability actions or WN's CP efficiency goes in the gutter.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Detozi Deis
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

What skill rotation do you guys use for 40 durability 1 star recipes? I've been doing Inner Quiet -> Steady Hands -> Waste Not -> Hasty touch (Or basic if good condition) -> At 20 durability Manipulation, then just hasty or basic depending on remaining cp and finally Great Strides and Byregot's Blessing. Tricks of the Trade when appropriate. I'm rarely HQ'ing with full HQ AF and accessories so I trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if its just harder than I thought it'd be. I have all DoH classes at at least 15 just to give you an idea of what I'm working with.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I do:

Inner Quiet > Steady Hand > Waste Not > Basic Synth x2 > Advanced Touch > (usually get a ToT by this point, use it) > Steady Hand > Great Strides > Innovation > Advanced Touch > Great Strides > Advanced Touch > Careful Synth

Gets ~18-20% HQ rate pretty much every time, goes to 100% if excellent shows up anytime after second steady hand. I usually have a decent amount of CP left and this doesn't use up Rumination, so it can probably still be optimized a bit, but I haven't quite figured out how yet.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

If it isn't too much to ask, how would you then go adding waste not into the rotation? I ask because your setup improved my crafting ten times over, I used to have plenty of "easy" hq but harder ones were mostly a failure, and now I can instead make my whole gear hq/and work the leves much better.I think your info might be usefull in the op for people like me trying to slog through the early levels? I for sure wouldn't have got to that point probably being a crafting idiot <.<

also: is it worth to meld level 1 materias sub lvl 25? Kinda not sure if it's worth selling these for 800g-2k gil or if they give enough to be worth melding in gear =P

edit: best use of great strides? got only weaver at 21, trying to learn more, still thanks again, improved my crafting so much I broke lvl 20 in a breeze with everything hq =P
    They've already got you on Waste Not up above. I can't really improve on it since it's not part of my rotation yet. I'm only hitting 20s myself now, and while theorycrafting is fine and dandy, I have to actually do to refine methods. So I can't answer on Great Strides either.
    As for materia, I've personally got a huge supply of the things since 1-10 I kept all 8 pieces of the quest reward gear each time, bonded, converted and replaced them as I went. (8 crafts at a time will do that.)
    Even with that supply, I don't feel I need to bond them yet. If I need a stat boost, for now I'd look to food for getting it.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Detozi Deis
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelan? View Post
    I do:

Inner Quiet > Steady Hand > Waste Not > Basic Synth x2 > Advanced Touch > (usually get a ToT by this point, use it) > Steady Hand > Great Strides > Innovation > Advanced Touch > Great Strides > Advanced Touch > Careful Synth

Gets ~18-20% HQ rate pretty much every time, goes to 100% if excellent shows up anytime after second steady hand. I usually have a decent amount of CP left and this doesn't use up Rumination, so it can probably still be optimized a bit, but I haven't quite figured out how yet.
    Hmm it takes me two Standard Synths to finish Darksteel Nuggets and Spruce Lumber. Unless I'm missing something I think I'd need to replace one of the basic synths with a Standard Synth and then finish with a Standard. But I'm going to try this when crafting any other 40 dura synth, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 159 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast