1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 26 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 33 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 18 hours, 26 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 15 hours, 33 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best GC for each class?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justice Reborn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Best GC for each class?

Mod edit: See post #4 below for information

It would SEEM to me that a city's GC rewards should benefit the classes whose Guilds are within their borders the most. However, I recall a very detailed thread for DRG optimization back in 1.0 that had suggested Maelstrom, citing their weapon/gear as best for DRG optimization.

Just curious if anyone knows the deal yet for 2.0 - where to go to best optimize your specific class and all that. Figured I'd ask!

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I don't know if this is still relevant or at all accurate but a friend happened to link me this recently.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9501/fbu.png

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justice Reborn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

That is an awesome chart. Cross-checking it with XIVDB will take some time, but I found the items each GC has listed:

From there, they can be further filtered by Level, Class, and so forth.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justice Reborn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I've done some preliminary gear comparison for my Lancer/Dragoon build using GC gear. Now, obviously you most likely won't be full-timing a full GC set in every slot, but I went ahead and compared what is available from each GC using the above links. I made a spreadsheet for each slot, noting the stat bonus from each GC. I tallied them and took a screenshot. Here's what I've got:

First pass through, I went and looked for what offered STR or DEX bonuses and used those. There's some gear that has neither of these and has MND and INT instead, so I ignored these pieces in favor of lower leveled pieces from the GC that did offer STR.

GC gear total using STR as prevailing stat

Some of these pieces had bonuses for if Sanction was active. In the event it is not active, the above becomes this:

Now, those GC gear pieces I mentioned that have MND and INT instead of STR that I had ignored... well, they also bonuses like Skill Speed or Parry. So I went back through and included all the high level pieces regardless of if they didn't have STR on them, since they had other bonuses. I ended up with this:

And here it is again without the aforementioned Sanction bonuses:

Lastly, here's one picture with all four for easy comparison:

While I did this whole thing with LNC/DRG specifically in mind, these pieces are mostly for "All Classes" (but basically for Disciple of War classes). Things I see from this:
    - If you JUST want STR, the difference in the STR-focus build between all three is very minimal (1 STR).
    - Conversely, if you go for the high level gear piece focus, the differences become more apparent (11 STR), but your overall STR also drops as well.
    - For GLD, the high level gear piece focus earns much more VIT (while dropping the STR)

- Twin Adders is the go-to for "Critical Hit Rate+" gear
    - Maelstrom offers the best "Skill Speed+" gear
    - Maelstrom and Twin Adders both offer the best "Accuracy+" gear, depending on your focus

Obviously which class you play will differ which particular stat(s) are the focus, but it's a good rough start. I have the spreadsheets I used (with their formulas intact) if anyone wants to tinker with them for other classes (Disciples of Magic wasn't explored at all, for example).

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I know PIE is lol but that might account for some of the difference in the totals.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Son of a bitch I wish I read this thread earlier.

Is it possible to change your GC?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justice Reborn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I have heard that it is, though I'm not sure just how yet. And I doubt it's something that can be done often.

Dragoon Enthusiast
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dathus Tomar
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Hmm. Seems like Twin Adder's is one of the best if you go full GC gear for Lancer, at least. Neat. Glad I went with Gridania then.

2 questions:

1) Set bonus : xxx uniform > Does this mean you have to wear a full set in order to receive the bonus?
    2) What is sanction?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Kaope View Post
    2 questions:

1) Set bonus : xxx uniform > Does this mean you have to wear a full set in order to receive the bonus?
    2) What is sanction?
    1) xxx uniform means that for all the gear that says "# xxx Uniform: [BONUS]", you need # amount of the xxx Uniform pieces in order to get the bonus.
    For example, my lv45 crafting ring says "2 Maelstrom Uniform: Craftsmanship+3". If I equip 2 pieces of gear that list themselves as "Mailstrom Uniform" (basically, anything purchased from the GC and/or GC achievement rewards), I get the Craftsmanship+3 bonus.

2) Sanction is a free 3-hour (maybe 2 hours now?) buff that you can get by talking to the mage that stands in any Grand Company, regardless of affiliation. Its only purpose is to activate the bonuses on the gear that says "Sanction: [BONUS]". If you die, the sanction will wear off.

What kind of bonus is it offering? Sorry for being noob ><;

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It offers the bonus on the gear that says Sanction: [blahblah].

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by chichicha View Post
    What kind of bonus is it offering? Sorry for being noob ><;
    That depends on the gear.