1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 24 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 35 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 16 hours, 24 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 17 hours, 35 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: List of voice actors?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

List of voice actors?

Has anybody been able to find or compile a list of voice actors and who they voice for the game? I've been trying to place some of the japanese voice actors but some just elude me.

These are the ones I know so far:

Code:
    Minifilia  :: Miyuki Sawashiro
    Thancred   :: Yuichi Nakamura
    Yda        :: Aya Endo
    Papalymo   :: Eri Kitamura
    Y'shtola   :: Ai Kayano
    Loisoix    :: Motomu Kiyowa
    Urianger   :: Kenn
    Alphinaud  :: Shinnosuke Tachibana
    Alisaie    :: Rie Murakawa 
    Cid        :: Rikiya Koyama

Spoiler: show
    Yuichi Nakamura (Thancred)
    Eri Kitamura
    Emiri Kato
    Aki Toyosaki
    Ai Kayano
    Kenn
    Kei Shindo
    Shinnosuke Tachibana (Alphinaud)
    Yuki Ono
    Yu Kobayashi
    Kousuke Toriumi
    Mariya Ise
    Nobuhiko Okamoto
    Rie Tanaka (Kan-E-Senna/Garuda)
    Aya Endo
    Marina Inoue
    Hiromi Hirata
    Anri Katsu
    Go Inoue
    Satoshi Hino
    Hiroki Yasumoto
    Shuichi Ikeda
    Sayaka Ohara
    Yayoi Sugaya
    Rikiya Koyama (Cid nan Garlond)
    Daichi Endo
    Takuya Eguchi
    Hidemitsu Shimizu
    Masakazu Nishida
    Akio Otsuka (Gaius van Baelsar. Yes, he’s the Japanese voice of Solid Snake)
    Shigeo Kiyama
    Riki Kitazawa
    Rie Murakawa
    Masako Ikeda
    Miyuki Sawashiro (Minfilia)

Not sure who they match up to but that is apparently a list of all the JP VAs

Spoiler: show
    Hydaelyn: Lucy Todd
    Gaius van Baelsar: Richard Epcar
    Lahabrea: Kyle Herbert
    Minfilia: Amy Bolton
    Thancred: T. Axelrod
    Yda: Mela Lee
    Papalymo: Steve Cannon
    Y’shtola: Emily O’Brien
    Urianger: Gideon Emery
    Alisaie: Simone Bee
    Alphinaud: Sam Regal
    Raubahn Aldynn: J.C. Miller
    Kan-E-Senna: Cindy Robinson
    Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn: Jean Elizabeth
    Nanamo Ul Namo: Haley Alexander
    Biggs: CJ3
    Twin Adder Dispatch: Ian Steele
    Nero tol Scaeva: Ian Steele
    Livia sas Junius: Karine Foviau
    Rhitahtyn sas Arvina: CJ3
    Louisoix: David V.O. Lodge

And that's the English VA's if you wanted that.

I havn't swapped to JP, is it any better then the NA voice acting? I honestly don't mind the English too much, not sure why people are flipping a shit. Granted some of the characters are cringe worthy at times, like the Flame General saying "NNOOOOOOOOOO" in the cutscene at lvl 15 was horrible.

Also isn't Steve Blum VAing somewhere in this game? Anyone heard him yet?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    I havn't swapped to JP, is it any better then the NA voice acting? I honestly don't mind the English too much, not sure why people are flipping a shit. Granted some of the characters are cringe worthy at times, like the Flame General saying "NNOOOOOOOOOO" in the cutscene at lvl 15 was horrible.
    Switched to JP before even hearing a single thing. Absolutely no problems with it and I feel it's pretty good. After watching the launch trailer I can safely say yes the NA voices are cringe-worthy in their entirety. Not awful, just awkward.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

The end credits like thing for FFXIV lists all the names/VA's for all languages on the characters, I may some time go through and list it, but kinda wanted to lvl a bit more/encode and post videos I made first...!

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    After watching the launch trailer I can safely say yes the NA voices are cringe-worthy in their entirety. Not awful, just awkward.
    The problem is that the animations for the scenes rarely allow the voice actor to deliver lines with much... personality. The models are generally stiff and use canned animations, so they can't really make small, natural noises between words/sentences or have interrupting lines. They are somewhat forced to read each chunk of text as it's own, singular statement because the player has control over moving on to the next piece of dialogue. It's tricky and unfortunate, but I think they did pretty decent considering.

Using a language you don't understand just removes your ability to notice those subtleties and, for some, tickles their weaboo gland.

Also, Urianger needs way more lines. Gideon is one of the best on that roster.

Old Merits
    BG Level

IMO the JP voice acting feels less cardboard. The NA voice actors aren't bad but it feels like a bad director, their lines don't really flow out naturally. At one point it was clear the VA was reading and had to pause [for a brief beat] to think of how to pronounce a city name.

Unfortunately the couple of CS that I watched in Japanese seemed to be translated quite differently. That is, the text didn't match what they were saying, even though overall the same story, the lines didn't match up. That is actually pretty good because it means they rewrote the story to flow better in English instead of just translating line-for-line. Unfortunately for someone who only speaks some JP and wants a safety-net, it makes it pretty hard to follow in JP with English text.

Also, I knew that was Yuichi Nakamura when I first heard him. So awesome.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Using a language you don't understand just removes your ability to notice those subtleties and, for some, tickles their weaboo gland.
    Nah.

The JP voice actors are high ranking people. People who have played main characters in lots of anime. I don't know much about the english VAs though, I switched after the first voiced cutscene with Papalymo.

The end credits like thing for FFXIV lists all the names/VA's for all languages on the characters, I may some time go through and list it, but kinda wanted to lvl a bit more/encode and post videos I made first...!
    Ah, thanks. I'll probably take a look at that sometime.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rubett Inc
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Mariya Ise voices Nanamo Ul Namo, I think.
    Also I could swear Merlwyb is voiced by Atsuko Tanaka (Caster in Fate/Stay Night)? but she's not in that list.

Dragoon Enthusiast
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dathus Tomar
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Also isn't Steve Blum VAing somewhere in this game? Anyone heard him yet?
    If it's anything in North America requiring a voice actor, Steve Blum's somewhere in it. He's the anime/game/cartoon equivalent of Morgan Freeman.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    The problem is that the animations for the scenes rarely allow the voice actor to deliver lines with much... personality. The models are generally stiff and use canned animations, so they can't really make small, natural noises between words/sentences or have interrupting lines. They are somewhat forced to read each chunk of text as it's own, singular statement because the player has control over moving on to the next piece of dialogue. It's tricky and unfortunate, but I think they did pretty decent considering.

Also, Urianger needs way more lines. Gideon is one of the best on that roster.
    What if you do understand the language? Can you stop being judgmental?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I switched over to JP voices as well. Not all the English voices are bad, but I found some of them quite meh. In the first Gridanian scene with Yda, she seems to almost whisper even though the player character is supposed to hear what she says from quite far away, but I didn't dislike Papalymo nearly as much as many seem to do. Also, Raubahn's voice sounded a bit forced in some lines.

You can tell the JP side is much more experienced and there are indeed some pretty big names in there.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    What if you do understand the language? Can you stop being judgmental?
    That's an entirely different story... which might apply to you and a few others but doesn't apply to a majority of the people switching to Japanese because they don't like the English VA.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    That's an entirely different story... which might apply to you and a few others but doesn't apply to a majority of the people switching to Japanese because they don't like the English VA.
    It's a direct counter to the entire statement; you can't really say "it doesn't apply". It's a giant hole in the "It only seems better because you can't understand it" bullshit. It can't be objectively "just as bad" if those who can notice/understand clearly see a difference.

Old Merits
    BG Level

imo, The JP voice acting seems more or less on par with mainstream TV production in Japan. the NA voice acting is on par with non-AAA Video Games.

The models are generally stiff and use canned animations, so they can't really make small, natural noises between words/sentences or have interrupting lines. They are somewhat forced to read each chunk of text as it's own, singular statement because the player has control over moving on to the next piece of dialogue.
    I disagree with this. You can still add emphasis and inflection and be less monotone. Just because the player can click doesn't mean you can't do each sentence with the next line in mind, just waiting a beat [or even record it with just a beat, then segment it in post, that would probably better for the actors]