1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 20 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 3 hours, 27 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 13 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 20 hours, 27 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: paladin rotation!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Quote Originally Posted by CasualPlayer View Post
    Didn't see another thread for this so:

Tower shield, buckler, or kite shield?
    There is another thread where this is discussed, but it seemed that kite was the way togo.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Mythril View Post
    Interesting
    Yes, it is quite interesting to meet someone before they're banned.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Mythril View Post
    Interesting
    Making ten quality posts is apparently so hard for some people.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Worst case is when you have one dps blasting single-target and one AoE nuking, you're stuck between two different types of tanking. This is how I deal with that scenario.

- Lob target1 while I'm running in
    - Run in the middle of the pack
    - Hit AoE macro twice in a row, which does Scorn (off GCD), then Flash (on GCD)
    - Spirits (off GCD) and Fast Blade (on GCD) on target 1, then savage target 1
    - The rest of the rotation is the 1/2/3 combos, but I will tab over to put the savage or halone on targets 2 then 3, then reverse savage and halone between them on the next cycle. Keeps hate even.
    - I also mark mobs 2 and 3 the first time I tab to them, which is after we're engaged a few seconds. If it's a long run to the mobs i mark on the way. It's easy with keybinds.
    - I usually do a Flash again after it wears on mob #1, just to keep the debuff up and boost hate some on mobs 2 and 3

When I started in AK I was vastly undergeared compared to the DPS I was with (mostly relic +1 and I had GC sword), and this worked pretty well. I finally got my titan kill on Monday so I'm all glowy now and clearly don't have to work as hard.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I Circle of scorn+Flash+Flash+Flash+Flash+Fast Blade+RiotBlade+Flash+FB+RB+Flash+CoS+Flash etc.

This is in WP.
    Use Defensive abilities when appropriately.

I use RoH combo on gobbue, pudding, and tonberry boss. otherwise i don't touch it.

If i use the duty finder, all this shit goes out the window, and i use standard tanking techniques.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eurlin Vindictae
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Titan
    WoW Realm
    Dalvengyr

Quote Originally Posted by shepardG View Post
    I Circle of scorn+Flash+Flash+Flash+Flash+Fast Blade+RiotBlade+Flash+FB+RB+Flash+CoS+Flash etc.

This is in WP.

I use RoH combo on gobbue, pudding, and tonberry boss. otherwise i don't touch it.

If i use the duty finder, all this shit goes out the window, and i use standard tanking techniques.
    lmao exactly this though for all WP speed runs.

Flash will always be enough to hold hate for any number of mobs it can reach consistently. If like stated earlier you have one bursting down one mob, and one AoEing everything. you'll want to keep target on the bursted target Flash > CoS > Flash > SW > Flash > Flash > judge how the bursted mob is handled with hate > Fast blade > Riot OR Rage of Halone combo depending on Bursted mob > Flash > Flash

Honestly 2 Halone combos should be enough for any mob, one will be plenty if you're flashing everything, and if he's not dead by then your DPS isn't heavy enough to be doing what they're doing and you need to slow it down. I had this issue when I did Speed runs in WP with a BLM and a DRG. DRG would burst down one at a time, and the BLM would hit everything.

green jellybean
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shepardG View Post

This is in WP.

Thanks for this info! I started doing WP runs on my PLD and had to figure out something similar for myself.. all the random people I'd pick up kept telling me to spam flash which became obvious that it wasn't solid advice. On comfortable parties I pretty much do as you described flashes and riot blades, on less comfy parties it seems like I can aoe tank normally and the dps is not fast enough to pull much off intermittent flashing combined with Halone combos.

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

There are 2 things that I've found that fuck up Flash spam for holding AOE threat. The first is when one of your DPS is AOEing and the other is Single-Target. Flash isn't likely to hold threat on that single mob, and that DPS is going to end up tanking it if you don't Halone-Combo it. Of course, if you DO Halone combo it, then your AOE DPS is going to overtake the Flashes you've already dropped, and they are going to die very quickly. If both DPS are good, then you can't hold both types of threat at the same time for any significant duration (at least, I can't, it simply takes more GCDs than I have). If I were forced into it, however, then I suppose my best chance would be alternating between Flash and Halone-only (without combo), and have Cover ready for if either of these isn't enough.

The other issue is when there is too large of a gap between the 2 AOE DPS. If you think of a mob's HP as it's maximum potential Damage Enmity, then it's easiest to hold hate when your DPS are splitting it 50/50. If one of your DPS is doing most of the damage, however, then you might simply not have enough CoS and Flashes to hold them. It's the same principle with solo healing an 8man group. It can be difficult to hold 2 Healer's worth of Enmity on one guy without killing himself, especially if there are multiple mobs involved (it's why solo-healing CM was such a pain in the ass). The Enmity splitting concept is also why it's good practice for WHMs to contribute a Holy or 3 to the pull. If they can take 10-20% off the mob's HP bars, then the DPS has that much less threat to potentially pull.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Just a quick question are pld able to stack defensive abilities like rampart + sentinel to get 80% dmg reduction?

Leader of the Brain Eating Space Monkeys
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I think they do, what I tend to do is use rampart with foresight and Convalesence. For Sentinel I pair that with Bloodbath, probably a much better way to do it but that seems to work for me.

Edit: This is for normal dungeons, not had the pleasure of tanking anything really difficult yet.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

They are stackable for sure but I haven't done the testing to see if it is additive or multiplicative. I would assume the latter.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Scizor View Post
    I think they do, what I tend to do is use rampart with foresight and Convalesence. For Sentinel I pair that with Bloodbath, probably a much better way to do it but that seems to work for me.

Edit: This is for normal dungeons, not had the pleasure of tanking anything really difficult yet.
    Personally my buff groupings are:

FoF+Bloodbath
    Foresight+Convalescence
    Bulwark+Awareness
    Rampart
    Sentinel
    Hallowed (duh)

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    Personally my buff groupings are:

FoF+Bloodbath
    Foresight+Convalescence
    Bulwark+Awareness
    Rampart
    Sentinel
    Hallowed (duh)
    Mine to a T also.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Some people I know were having questions on optimal agro management in Turn 4 so I might as well post my rotations in there here

MT perspective

Phase 1: lol

Phase 2: NW Knight+Soldier

Prep SB/RoH from bugs -> Flash -> CoS > RoH Knight -> SW Knight -> Flash -> Flash -> FB Knight -> SB Knight -> RoH Soldier -> Flash (Knight dies usually here) -> Normal rotation on Soldier

Phase 3: Dreadnaught

If the Soldier is still alive, prep RoH, start with RoH + CoS + SW -> Rampart -> Normal rotation - > Convalescence/Bulwark after Rampart wears

Phase 4: Rooks, Bugs

CoS + Flash + SW Rook + Flash > Normal rotation on Rook, LoS Pox

Phase 5: Dreadnaught

Shield Lob from middle if out of position + CoS + FB + SW -> Same as P3

Phase 6: 2x Dreadnaught

This is where it changes a bit every time but what has worked best for me is

CoS + Flash -> RoH new Dreadnaught + Hallowed Ground -> Rotation -> Switch target, rotation -> Sentinel - > Continue switching targets back and forth - > Bulwark+Rampart+Convalescence -> Sacred Soil (SCH needs to be told to do this) -> The old Dreadnaught really needs to die around this point -> ??? -> Loot

Anyone else's input would be nice, I know I'm not optimal here. I don't have a shitload of runs under my belt. It does work though.