Mobile Breath of Fire.

Mobile. Breath. Of. Fire.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    things could have been much worse

Considering that this had Inafune's blessing, and was being put together by very talented people, if it came to fruition, I absolutely would have given it a whirl.

I imagine you've read the associated Polygon article. If not, and/or for those who haven't:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/9/4179...averick-hunter

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

yeah I suppose it's entirely possible for it to have been decent had they proceeded with it, but to me it just screams of slapping an established IP onto a "gritty shooter"

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    yeah I suppose it's entirely possible for it to have been decent had they proceeded with it, but to me it just screams of slapping an established IP onto a "gritty shooter"
    It kind of does, but the X series has always been Mega Man's grown-up brother, and that carried on into the Zero series, despite the cutesy artistic stylings of the latter. More serious things have always been at stake, and X himself was meant to represent the human element and its flaws, even more so than the original Mega Man—although, given the original's having been loosely based on Tetsuwan Atom, it was ripe for its own dramatic moments. Regardless, consider that the Reploids were sourced from X himself, that he knew this, and that he then had to destroy them when they became Mavericks—at its core, it's always been fairly heavy stuff. That much is made evident in X's suffering over having to do the job he does.

Honestly, considering that Inafune wanted the original MM series to stay more kid-friendly (to the point where he complained about Roll's possible death in "Super Adventure Rockman"), the X series was basically where he could take things to a more serious place. As X going insane essentially happens in the Zero franchise anyway, though it's handled in a far more vague fashion, it was already established as something that Inafune wanted to do—and I would have liked to see him do it.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

While I'm typically against anything turning into a "gritty western shooter", I'm not against things that have even the slightest chance of putting a great franchise back on the map of relevance. Look what Nintendo did for the Metroid franchise when Prime hit. Prime was, for all intents and purposes, a gritty western shooter, just with classic elements of exploration and backtracking adopted to a 3D form. Hell, they couldn't even do screw attack properly because it would have nearly been impossible.

Did I personally enjoy playing the Prime series? No, but that was because I typically don't enjoy playing shooters, Battlefield 3 and Blops being the two exceptions. But I absolutely agreed with the vision and reasoning for making prime a 3d series, and they did such a freaking bang up job with the environments, music and controls that it all turned out alright. I won't let my nostalgia for Super Metroid get in the way of just how good Prime was for the franchise.

Something like that could have happened with this game, had it been allowed to grow. A focus on exploration and backtracking with a heavy dose of the classic megaman themes, music and concepts to tie everything in, and presto. Lets face it, the Megaman X series was floundering (honestly after 4, although 5 and 6 had a few great moments), the Zero franchise, as good as it was at times, didn't appeal to everyone because of the hand-held format, and legends, while good in its own right, wasn't exactly what the masses were looking for either. There was nothing truly wrong with them trying this approach (and for the record, I even liked Megaman ZX: fucking Area O theme is badass.)

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

They're only $40,000-ish away from PS3, X360, and Wii U versions. Any of you motherfuckers holding out in anticipation should start throwing your money at this shit.

I really hope they at least make it to the 2,550,000 stage, but with how much it slowed down

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    I really hope they at least make it to the 2,550,000 stage, but with how much it slowed down
    Apparently the middle portion of kickstarters are always the slowest. The beginning and ending are the fastest.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Mighty No. 3 looks pretty awesome:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...9/posts/600219

Spoiler: show

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

lol

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'll be overjoyed if they reach the 2,200,000 mark. My Wii U needs some lovin... Really bad. lol. Plus I love my digital games!!!

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

They're only $6,000-ish away from that goal now. I'm sure they'll make it.

Teamkiller of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

It's coming to consoles!

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

This progress is so excellent. My excitement is great.

Also, since we'd talked about music recently in this thread, here's an interview with Manami Matsumae. I'm in awe of the opportunity to hear one of gaming's early composers speak on the subject. Not only that—you get to hear her play "Mighty No. 9's" theme on her piano.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I hope the extra end stages are like those from X and they reach that goal. I remember them being such a pain in the ass when I was younger, but once I got a handle on them they were awesome.

I sucked at the NES Megaman games, though.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

She's an amazing woman.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'll just leave this here.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

X looks like a Chrono Trigger win pose.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Hello new sig

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Oh man, that megaman reminds me of my old avatar, used that shit for years.
    http://media1.gameinformer.com/image...og/megaman.gif

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast