1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 58 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 1 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 11 hours, 58 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 22 hours, 1 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Ifrit (Hard Mode) Strategy

Related Threads:
    Garuda (Hard Mode) Strategy
    Titan (Hard Mode) Strategy

-----

Ifrit (Hard Mode)

General Party Setup
    One tank
    One stunner (PLD or DPS)*
    Two healers
    Remainder DPS (at least one BLM or SMN)

*For Duty Finder groups, PLD is typically the stunner when at least one of the tanks is a PLD as there is no need for two tanks on this fight.

Requirements
    Complete the main story, activate the follow-up quest "Ifrit Bleeds, We Can Kill It" in The Waking Sands. Continue the quest to attune to the aetheryte which activates "The Bowl of Embers (Hard)" in Duty Finder.

Ifrit's Abilities

Vulcan Buster
    Very large AoE centered on Ifrit - low damage and huge knockback. No ability target area warning (there is a chat message warning).

Incinerate
    Conal fire breath attack (used frequently between other abilities). No one should ever be in front of Ifrit at any point except for the tank, so this should only ever hit the tank.

Eruption
    Heavy targeted AoE damage. Ability target area warning by large areas of glowing cracked earth which are centered directly beneath one or more players. As the fight proceeds, each use of the ability will cause more and more simultaneous eruptions. If players are close to each other, the Eruptions can be stacked, instantly killing anyone on top of them.

Radiant Plume
    Heavy targeted AoE damage, used below 75% HP. Ability target area warning by swirling lava circles on the ground. Three patterns:
    -Outer Ring (border of arena)
    -Inner Area (center of arena)
    -Full Arena (only used during final phase; plumes cover the entire arena except for small areas immediately surrounding Ifrit)

Crimson Cyclone
    Ifrit disappears, then reappears untargetable at a position on the border of the arena. After a couple of seconds, he charges rapidly forward straight across the arena, dealing severe damage to anyone in his path. In later phases, additional clones of Ifrit will appear during this attack (two Ifrits below 75% HP, then three Ifrits in the final phase), each charging forward from its position starting with the Ifrit on the left with about one second between charges. Make sure your camera is panned out and quickly rotate it if you do not immediately see the clones after Ifrit jumps in the air. Note that when he spawns multiple clones, the positions at the border of the arena that are immediately between and next to the clones are actually safe.

Hellfire
    Special ability, used only once. Deals very high AoE damage to everyone depending on the number of Infernal Nails present when utilized. Essentially impossible to survive if any Nails are left standing when used.

Battle Strategy

In all phases, and particularly later phases, Eruption should be stunned. It is important that healers and ranged DPS can rely on Eruption to be stunned so that they can continue to heal and deal damage while Eruption is readied. Because of the battle pacing, Ifrit should not build resistance to Stun if Eruption is the only ability that is stunned, but he will certainly build resistance if you attempt to Stun other abilities too frequently. The Stunner's role boils down to interrupting Eruption for the duration of the battle. Anything else they do is a bonus, but they should never do anything that will compromise their ability to interrupt when Eruption is the next ability in the cycle. Stunning Eruption is coincidentally the "fine play" technique for this fight, and so it will also serve to quickly charge the limit break meter.

Note that throughout the fight, any time Crimson Cyclone is used, once you are in position to avoid the clone charges you are completely safe until Ifrit returns to the battlefield. This is the time to top off HP, get up buffs, accept raise, etc. Once the charges are complete, everyone should return to their positions so that the battle can continue immediately once Ifrit returns to the arena.

First Phase

Tank should position themselves against the border of the arena, with Ifrit facing to the outside of of the arena (this will prevent Vulcan Buster from knocking the tank back). Stunner and Melee DPS should be to the side or behind Ifrit, never in front. Healers and ranged DPS should position themselves relatively far away to avoid being pushed back and interrupted by Vulcan Buster. During this phase, Crimson Cyclone will only spawn one clone of Ifrit.

As his health decreases below 75%, Eruption will begin to target more than one location and Ifrit will spawn an additional clone during Crimson Cyclone. After the charge(s) are complete, everyone should return to their original positions so the fight can continue immediately once he drops back down. In this phase, Ifrit will also begin to use Radiant Plume, first targeting the outer ring, then the center area shortly after. The ability cycle below 75% but prior to Infernal Nails is:

Vulcan Buster
    Eruption
    Radiant Plume (Outer Ring)
    Eruption
    Radiant Plume (Center)
    Crimson Cyclone (Two Clones)

Hellfire

As Ifrit reaches 50% HP, four Infernal Nails will spawn at the center of the arena. DPS should immediately refocus on destroying the nails immediately. During this phase, most of Ifrit's other abilities will temporarily not be utilized.

At this point, the group should have a full three bar limit break ready, and a BLM or SMN should use Meteor targeting the center of the arena to hit all four Nails and reduce them to low HP. DPS should be able to finish off the nails prior to Hellfire (melee DPS may be able to perform an additional one bar limit break before the Nails are gone). Without using Meteor, this portion of the fight is a high DPS check and will likely kill all but the best geared groups. As soon as the fourth Nail is defeated (or if too much time passes), Ifrit will disappear and prepare Hellfire. At this point, the group has a few seconds to get ready by stacking as much damage mitigation as possible (Stoneskin, Adloquium, Sacred Soil, etc.). Immediately after the move goes off, toss out AoE heals to get everyone to full while getting back into position.

Second Phase: Clones, In, Out, Stack

In the second phase, it is important to be aware of the ability cycle:

Vulcan Buster
    Eruption
    Crimson Cyclone (Three Clones)
    Radiant Plume (Outer Ring)
    Radiant Plume (Center)
    Eruption
    Radiant Plume (Full Arena)

After interrupting the first Eruption, then dodging the charging clones, while continuing to deal damage, everyone except the tank should move in towards the center of the arena, out of range of the outer plume locations. Once the outer ring of plumes goes off, the group should move out, away from the center of the arena (but still not in front of Ifrit, except the tank), until the inner plumes go off. After Eruption is stunned once more, the entire group should stack behind Ifrit. The next plumes will cover the entire arena except for the area immediately around Ifrit (you may still need to reposition slightly to avoid plumes even if you are stacked on Ifrit).

For the remainder of the battle, this cycle will repeat indefinitely until either Ifrit's dead, or you are.

Loot

Each player receives:
    10 Allagan Tomestones of Philosophy
    4 Allagan Tomestones of Mythology

The final treasure chest will add one of the nine Ifrit weapons to the pool at random:
    Ifrit's Blade
    Ifrit's Battleaxe
    Ifrit's Claws
    Ifrit's Harpoon
    Ifrit's Bow
    Ifrit's Cane
    Ifrit's Cudgel
    Ifrit's Grimoire
    Ifrit's Codex

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

There is already a thread for that

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

If you mean the general dungeon/primal strategy thread, there's no information there, just a link elsewhere. These fights are too involved info to bury info in spoilers in the OP of that thread, I'm thinking it should be refocused into specifically information about dungeons, and have a separate thread(s) for battles (primals, etc.). We'll probably want to have a separate thread for Binding Coil also at some point once people start doing that full throttle.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

That's a whole lot of words to say "stun eruption, inside > outside > stack for plumes".

User was infracted for this post.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Don't be a prick. Not everyone here is familiar with the carryover stuff from 1.0 Ifrit. God forbid there be a thorough, well-formatted description instead of vague, elitist crap like:

stun eruption, inside > outside > stack for plumes

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

I never played 1.0. That's truthfully all the description you should need on the fight, assuming stuff like "dodge aoe, kill adds" is obvious considering that's literally every fight in the game. The only thing even remotely unique/uncommon is that he's got a huge unmarked linear aoe.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Feel free to correct me, but I find 2 PLDs to be infinitely better than WAR/PLD for the Ifrit Fight. Using Pacification during his Radiant Plumes makes fighting him a breeze.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Ifrit's a breeze regardless, so I would say the general hierarchy is more like PLD + 5 DPS > PLD/WAR + 4 DPS (simply because WAR does more DPS than PLD) > PLD/PLD + 4 DPS. If you have two supremely confident and well-coordinated WARs alternating stuns, it would be just a touch better than PLD/WAR, but I'd still generally prefer PLD just for the extra consistency it provides.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Seems better to reserve a single thread per avatar just because future primals won't appear near the OP. Plus, we need to enhance searches etc.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Seems better to reserve a single thread per avatar just because future primals won't appear near the OP. Plus, we need to enhance searches etc.
    Can do that. I'm going to leave a reserved post for future extreme mode Ifrit, though, instead of making a new thread for it (assuming it's not exactly the same fight, just more damage/HP).

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So I have a question concerning Status Effect Resistance in relation to this fight. While the guide states that there should not be problems with Stun getting resisted if you only use it on Eruption, I feel like this isn't entirely true during the transition between the 100% HP and 75% HP phases. To take a small step back, when first engaging Ifrit and before he hits 75%, I've noticed that after every Vulcan Burst that is not the very first one, he will do Eruption. In addition, he will do Eruption after Crimson Cyclone.

This can lead to situations where the following happens (in my experience):

Vulcan Burst
    Eruption (Full Stun)
    Crimson Cyclone
    Eruption (Partial Stun)
    Phase Change (Phase 1 to Phase 2)
    Vulcan Burst
    Eruption (Very-Partial Stun)
    Radiant Plume (Outer)
    Eruption (Resist)

After this possible rotation there are absolutely zero issues concerning stuns as you generally have more than enough time for resistance to not build up, but I've been wondering if there's something I have been missing that can prevent a resist in the above situation. I recall hearing something about messing with resistances using Spirits Within but I don't know the first thing concerning that. Any ideas?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Maybe a random DPS is using a stun. I didn't see any issues with resistance.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Did you have one (or more) SMNs with Ifrit-Egi out? Unless they are manually controlling Ifrit-Egi with Obey, SMN must use Garuda-Egi for this fight. The ability Crimson Cyclone has an additional effect of Stun, and Ifrit-Egi will use it once every 40 seconds if he is just on normal Sic.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Maybe I can get some help here. I've been doing this fight just over the past 2 days and for the most part, I've been successful in my roles (pld btw, mostly on stun duty).

Anyway, all went well except for the last fight last night I was having problems getting shield bash off. One of four things would happen:

1:Shield bash used. Eruption stunned
    2:Shield bash animation went off. No stun message and eruption goes off
    3.Shield bash used. Get fully resisted (wasnt stunning anything else). Eruption occurs. Weird thing about this one is that I would be able to stun the next one.
    4.Shield bash button hit. Ability icon would light up and nothing would happen. No other abilities used so global timer was fine.

Basically this caused us to not win the last fight (and pissed off a very disappointed dps...but he was a dick anyway). So im just wondering what went wrong here. Again, none of these things happened during any of the other fights, but I dont want them to happen again.

Oh and connection was good, but could have lagged a few times and I also play on ps3.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kalima View Post
    3.Shield bash used. Get fully resisted (wasnt stunning anything else). Eruption occurs. Weird thing about this one is that I would be able to stun the next one.
    If this was during the nails phase, Ifrit won't jump and rush or use Radiant Plume, only Eruption.
    So if he goes into nails just before a jump set would have happened, and if the timing is simply wrong for a nails phase, you can have a long enough series of Eruptions that you will get resists at the end.
    And sometime resist weakens after a resisted stun.

As for 2 and 4, sorry, not a clue.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    If this was during the nails phase, Ifrit won't jump and rush or use Radiant Plume, only Eruption.
    So if he goes into nails just before a jump set would have happened, and if the timing is simply wrong for a nails phase, you can have a long enough series of Eruptions that you will get resists at the end.
    And sometime resist weakens after a resisted stun.

As for 2 and 4, sorry, not a clue.
    IIRC there was only one resist during the nails phase, the others were very early into the fight (around the third or fourth eruption) and maybe one resist after the nails.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

There's definitely something awkward going on during the 100% HP to 75% HP of the fight where I happen to get a Stun resist. There's been a case when DPS was being stupid and stunning when I do, but otherwise I always seem to get one resist during Phase 1.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I am not a pld, so take this with a grain of salt. But I feel like I've done ten million ifrit's trying to get the bow (still no luck), and even with a FC mate (pld) who I know is on the ball, will get resisted at least once in maybe 80% of our fights.

I think it'd be weird to say in every one of those instances there was someone else also stunning. Especially lately, as it seems there are few in DF at this point that don't know the fight.

As well, just throwing it out there in case someone new is reading the thread, a good rule of thumb imo when dealing with ifrit's crimson cyclone is to try and hover close to the edge of the arena (really anywhere along the circle as long as you aren't in front of him and rdps/healers are out of vulcan buster range) when you know it's going to be coming. For one, it's usually easier to dodge, and two, it means if you do get hit, you are only going to get hit by one of them. I've had to mention this a few times with newer groups who fail especially in the third phase because people don't move out after the third set of plumes, and end up getting hit by all three ifrits as it's harder to get out of their way.

Also, should note that you can tell the ifrit order on cyclone because he bends down about two seconds before he goes.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Just did a round since posting last and can definitely say that lag plays a factor in stunning too late and getting resisted. As for my other problems... I just started mashing my bash icon and only had one animation go off and not stun. This im just chalking up to ps3 limitations.

Anyway...finally got my sword and bow so time to move on