1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 20 hours, 13 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 3 hours, 46 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 13 hours, 13 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 20 hours, 46 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: BLM questions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Turning away doesn't interrupt a cast until its completion, so that would be the slowest way really.

The fastest should just be a slight little nudge in any direction, jumping takes longer as you need to wait for the jump to finish before you can act again.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Buff list, glowy button, and floating text are all pretty much same time (slightly slower for floating even) so it doesn't really matter imo. I generally run a step to stop it, since you don't want to stationary jump if there's going to be AoE under your feet on say Titan. Turning is both not an option for me (legacy control) and kind of iffy in general; generally the cast only stops due to wrong facing at the end so it's worse than just stopping another way.

The problem with noticing FS in general is that the damage and buff (AF1-3 and FS) apply when the fireball actually hits the enemy. Which by that point you're already casting next spell.

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    Insane thing is that he believes it outparses a Fire2 rotation. Makes me wonder what he's messing up to arrive at that conclusion.
    The rotation does sound super dumb, except because he's doing a double bliz2 to fire3 > flare, he's getting the flare off with the umbral ice 3 cast timer if it's cast fast enough. Non-swiftcast flare can be a real DPS hindrance, the optimal rotation might be to use his when swiftcast is down, and use the standard fire2 spam when swiftcast is up. Not suggesting this is definitely right, but not worth writing off, at least, without further testing.

On that note, and this may have already been addressed: When you get a second cast with the reduced cast time from umbral ice or astral fire, is the damage based on your buff status at the time of the start of the cast or at the time the spell hits? For example, you have umbral ice 3 up and you hit fire 3 then fire 2 immediately. Fire 2 goes off faster because the astral fire buff hasn't been applied yet, but by the time fire 2 finishes you do indeed have the astral fire buff. Which buff gets used to determine damage? The answer may have a pretty big impact on that all-flare rotation.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

In those cases it's getting both reduced cast from UI and boosted damage from AF due to the time those buffs occur (or whatever). It's kind of sneaky because if you instead try to do this with say Transpose or Raging Strikes and spam a fire/ice ASAP, I typically fizzle because the server's like "HOLD UP, that's not right".

I'm more furrowing my brow at Flare guy's claim because I have a feeling he fucked up the Fire2 rotation he was testing somehow. Quotes:

I just did some parsing using this rotation versus the rotation I've outlined. All parses were done for 2 minutes nonstop on 3 targets. I used the DPS dummies in Whitebrim (Coerthas) for these parses. Here are the results:

Rotation: Fire III ==> Fire II (spam) ==> Flare ==> Transpose
    Note: Initial Flare of rotation was followed by Convert + a second Flare. This was repeated on CD.
    Result 1: 398
    Result 2: 387
    Result 3: 402

Rotation: Fire III ==> Flare ==> Transpose ==> Blizzard II ==> Blizzard II
    Note: Initial Flare of rotation was followed by Convert + a second Flare. This was repeated on CD.
    Result 1: 448
    Result 2: 456
    Result 3: 454

(me) Were you also doing Blizzard2 for the Fire2 rotation? Because it's not like you just sit there after Transpose.

(him) No Blizzard II at all in the Fire II rotation. I immediately start casting Fire III as soon as possible after the Flare.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Testing right now, since he posted numbers.

Note issue with Flare>Transpose rotation, I just managed to hit Transpose but I'm still in Astral Fire III. Did this more than once, which completely kills your damage output. So this rotation does require more precise timing of abilities and you can't simply spam.

Edit:
    Fire2 repeating > Bliz3 > Bliz2 > Fire3 > Repeat (Flare/Vert once when abilities up) over 3 minutes = 350 dps

Fire2 repeating > Flare > Transpose > Bliz2 > Bliz2 > Fire3 > Repeat over 3 minutes = 402 dps

Fire3 > Flare > Transpose > Bliz2 > Bliz2 > Repeat over 2 minutes = 401 dps & 400 dps

The Flare>Transpose thing is unreliable because of how often Transpose will muck up and either not trigger at all, or just leave you in Astral Fire III and go on cooldown anyway, leaving you stuck with 0 MP.

Still, it did better than I thought it would. Someone else may want to test it as well since it isn't a crackpot idea.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Do you need to use 2 Blizzard II's? It only takes me 1 to regain full MP during the Fire 3 cast. Is the reduced cast time on Fire 3 the deciding factor?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yes you need UI3 and get that cast time bonus twice. It isn't only on F3, also the next one after if you cast it immediately.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Dammerung View Post
    Yes you need UI3 and get that cast time bonus twice. It isn't only on F3, also the next one after if you cast it immediately.
    Ok makes sense, been noticing that double cast speed bonus on the ST rotation.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

As if the point hasn't been stressed enough.. Up until last night my nuke rotation had been T3 -> Lethargy -> F3 spam -> B3 -> T2 + Lethargy if up -> repeat F3 spam and I thought my dps was perfectly fine. Switching the F3 spam to F3 -> F1 spam to get the Firestarter procs is REALLY a huge difference.

Also, any time a mob or pack of mobs is defeated, I've gotten in the habit of immediately popping Transpose. 95% of the time it flips me to Umbral Ice which refills me before the next pack of mobs comes.

I haven't added Flare to the lineup yet, as I want to rework my entire UI layout & keybinds to a point where I'm comfortable first.

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    As if the point hasn't been stressed enough.. Up until last night my nuke rotation had been T3 -> Lethargy -> F3 spam -> B3 -> T2 + Lethargy if up -> repeat F3 spam and I thought my dps was perfectly fine. Switching the F3 spam to F3 -> F1 spam to get the Firestarter procs is REALLY a huge difference.

Also, any time a mob or pack of mobs is defeated, I've gotten in the habit of immediately popping Transpose. 95% of the time it flips me to Umbral Ice which refills me before the next pack of mobs comes.

I haven't added Flare to the lineup yet, as I want to rework my entire UI layout & keybinds to a point where I'm comfortable first.
    http://accomp.me/wp-content/uploads/...ed-680x248.png

New Merits
    BG Level

The implication being that the only way you manage not to learn most basic principles of the job (firestarter is a good thing? transpose does something?) is by pressing the blizzard 2 button for 50 levels of fates. We all had to learn the basics sometime, of course, but this would have been the appropriate thread.

Oh I got the implication, I just wanted my own reaction image.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

MSpaint "Topic" instead of "FATE" and we have ourselves a thread meme image platform.

Warlock's hat vs Demagouge mask to combo with AF2 body?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I just waited until I had the tomes to buy AF2 body and hat together.

I had an HQ Vanya hat made for me and melded it with a critical hit and a couple accuracy.

If you plan on getting AF2 hat in due time Vanya would be a waste, the answer is neither tho.

The best option would be HQ militia hat with a few decent melds.

Between Demagogue and Warlock's it's really a wash, I'd go with demagogue tho.

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Has anyone found any kind of BIS list, or discussion as to what is the stat priority for BLM? I'm trying to make my own list, but unfortunately I really haven't seen discussion as to what I should be gunning for. I've just assumed crit is the best stat to go for, but I have no math to back it up.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Be will probably decide on it when they decide on a BLM rotation.