1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 16 hours, 25 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 7 hours, 34 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 9 hours, 25 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 0 hours, 34 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Bahamut's Coil - Turn 4     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Albertclifford Slater
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Stonemaul

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    So we're having some continued issues with turn 4 that aren't making a lot of sense to me.

Our issue is 100% kill speed. We're having a lot of trouble clearing wave 3 before wave 4 bugs drop and fill the first dread back up to full HP.

Survivability and healing hasn't been too much of an issue, nor has hate management, but consistently we are only getting the first dread to about 10-30% before bugs drop and fill him up.

Our group is typically PLD/PLD/WHM/SCH/BRD/BRD/BLM/DRG. Blm and drg both have +1 and pretty decent gear, both brds are geared intelligently with AF2 / hq gryphonskin (one brd doesn't have Bfb though which I discovered tonight). And since we started hitting this wall I've been trying to keep the dps supplied with hq deviled eggs / buttons in a blanket for our turn 4 runs.

I'm looking for some info from a DD perspective that maybe I can bring to them. As far as I'm concerned the gear is there, and the concept of "do as much damage as you can at the right time" isn't too hard, so it's becoming pretty frustrating. Currently on wave 2 I (MT) go west and pick up knight + soldier. DPS burn my knight while BLM starts nuking down OT soldier. Kill my knight then me and DRG pound my soldier while both BRDs switch to OT knight. Me + DRG always have our 2 cleared but dread usually drops with 1 of the OT mobs still at 20-50% health. Next problem is when I pick up the dread, bugs make bee-line for healers / blm and they panic or die, so I started picking up dread + all the bugs while dps finish off OT mob. Then more often than not we just fail to DPS down the dread before bugs + rooks drop.

It's really frustrating and I've watched plenty of videos. Seems like DPS that are less geared than ours have no problem, so maybe it's a playstyle / understanding of the fight issue?

Thanks!
    From a bard perspective I usually just stagger all my cooldowns for first wave so they are all up for dreadnaught. One of your bards should put up paeon when spiders hit 20% and they should make sure they don't go under 600 tp as spiders are dying. I would probably leave the BLM on MT soldier until it opens up then have him switch to OT soldier. Bards damage kind of sucks for soldier so technically they should be dotting up both knights before bothering to damage MT soldier so they can machine gun bloodletters. When MT soldier dies bards should reapply dots on both knights again and burn down OT soldier and leave DRG on MT knight until it dies. I also hope they haven't been blowing BFB, barrage and hawks eye during knight and soldier those should be saved for dreadnaught. For dreadnaught probably have say bard 1 pop requiem until they are at 50% mp to up the BLM's damage. For wave 4 spiders have bard 2 requiem and bard 1 pop paeon with battle voice. Oh right people should stop panicing and have range and healers stack in the center so that it will be eaiser for you to drag dreadnaught over all the spiders(also applies to wave 4 so that tanks can pick up spiders and rooks more easily).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Switching to MT holding both dreads made this ridiculously easy for our group. Thanks to all of you who gave pointers.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So we're having some continued issues with turn 4 that aren't making a lot of sense to me.

Our issue is 100% kill speed. We're having a lot of trouble clearing wave 3 before wave 4 bugs drop and fill the first dread back up to full HP.

Survivability and healing hasn't been too much of an issue, nor has hate management, but consistently we are only getting the first dread to about 10-30% before bugs drop and fill him up.

Our group is typically PLD/PLD/WHM/SCH/BRD/BRD/BLM/DRG. Blm and drg both have +1 and pretty decent gear, both brds are geared intelligently with AF2 / hq gryphonskin (one brd doesn't have Bfb though which I discovered tonight). And since we started hitting this wall I've been trying to keep the dps supplied with hq deviled eggs / buttons in a blanket for our turn 4 runs.

I'm looking for some info from a DD perspective that maybe I can bring to them. As far as I'm concerned the gear is there, and the concept of "do as much damage as you can at the right time" isn't too hard, so it's becoming pretty frustrating. Currently on wave 2 I (MT) go west and pick up knight + soldier. DPS burn my knight while BLM starts nuking down OT soldier. Kill my knight then me and DRG pound my soldier while both BRDs switch to OT knight. Me + DRG always have our 2 cleared but dread usually drops with 1 of the OT mobs still at 20-50% health. Next problem is when I pick up the dread, bugs make bee-line for healers / blm and they panic or die, so I started picking up dread + all the bugs while dps finish off OT mob. Then more often than not we just fail to DPS down the dread before bugs + rooks drop.

It's really frustrating and I've watched plenty of videos. Seems like DPS that are less geared than ours have no problem, so maybe it's a playstyle / understanding of the fight issue?

Thanks!

this sounds pretty much like our runs before we figured out how to win. it's really like you said where you're just doing damage at the right time. often, our last robot is at around 20% when the DN pops, but occasionally it'll be 50%. i'd say anything above 35% or so is when i start worrying a bit about damage on the DN and when you wanna be somewhat meticulous about who's using which CD's. a detailed mix and match approach should get you exactly what you need without being wasteful. also, that last bard getting BFB in there on wave 2 sounds mandatory. and are you guys having the bards switch over to the OT's soldier when it fritzes out? if not, at the very least make sure your bards are applying dots the moment it happens for max BL resets.

WRT to collecting bugs and the dreadnought in wave 3, we have the MT stand on the side where the bugs drop in order to get proximity aggro when they land, with everyone else waiting in the middle to prevent strays from flying all over the place (OT being the exception and finishing off the last robot). what happens then is our MT claims the DN at max range possible and drags the DN through everyone in the middle such that it collects all the bugs and puts it right in between the tank and the rest of the party. if you're already doing this and in a proficient manner then you're on the right track, but if not then optimizing bug collection will really help the DD's out.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Persona Nongrata
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso View Post
    Switching to MT holding both dreads made this ridiculously easy for our group. Thanks to all of you who gave pointers.
    Yup. Works wonders. Did you guys down it?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Vid of our first kill, it's kinda rough but the general strat is the same, we do it this way and it goes pretty smooth.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Thanks!
    My group always save our DPS cooldowns and DPS pots on dreadnaught, and our DPS are not very geared either, only full DL/AF2 etc, only 1 dps have few pieces of allagan. Also, sounded your group does not kill the soldier/knight fast enough. Our group have similar set up as yours: PLD WAR WHM SCH BRD BRD BLM MNK, and what we usually do is eventhough we have 3 physical/1magic dps, we still split the DPS into 2 team. BRD+MNK and BRD+BLM. First thing ALL 4 DPS do when knights/soldiers spawn is to crack open the first soldier ASAP, when it's cracked open, BRD+MNK switch to knight, and BRD+BLM stay and kill soldier, and then do the exact same thing again on the other remaining set. Having only 1 magic DPS, cracking open the soldier first helps tremendously, not only the tank doesnt have to worry about keeping aggro on soldier, but they also can focus dps/aggro on knight. By the time the first dreadnaught drops, there should only be 1 soldier or knight at 20% left, and by the time spiders get eaten, the soldier/knight should be cleared already.

As for the spider beelining BLM/Healer, have them stand directly behind the dreadnaught when it spawned, if/when they aggro spider, they'll only take a couple of hits before the spiders get eaten.
    My group comp is very similar to yours

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kelenae View Post
    Yup. Works wonders. Did you guys down it?
    Yup, everything finally didn't feel like it was randomized or based on pure luck... Things actually proceeded as planned.
    We did still have issues where the WHM kept getting hate off the OT as he's pulling and gathering the rest of the mobs, but we solved that by simply having everyone sit in the center of the arena when the phase 6 mobs drop down, and our OT grabbed it all.
    1 spider was fed to the last dread, then kill order was Rook > phase 5 dread > rest of mobs > phase 6 dread like suggested... went down pretty easily.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Finally got this down last night. My group was having difficulty doing the all physical strat so we finally broke down and geared up two BLMs for it and it was pretty much a joke as long as everyone executes their jobs properly.

Victory shot:

http://imageshack.us/a/img34/5231/3quu.png

The Free Company now has three full 9-man rostered groups on Turn 5.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Today at around 3 PM EST I will stream our turn 4 which i do not expect to win

www.twitch.tv/neko_whippet

The reason is simple I'm looking for honest/straight info about what me and/or my static is doing wrong because i'm fucking tired of this shit

Some things to note

1) Of our BLM (If he goes BLM today) is semi gimp and i keep telling him to get more gear and he doesn't seem interested
    2) I'm not the leader of the Static party, i'm trying to give opinions but they usually refuse (exept when i forced them to do the W in turn 2)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

i think you pretty much answered your questions there about what your group is doing wrong?

BG Level

I know that but since I always wanna improve myself I want competent people to tell me what im doing wrong

And If i'm almost doing perfect and we keep failing i'll just quit and make my own

Also will be a good reason for you all to laugh at my accent and 'engrish talk' so everyone wins

BG Level

Stream is up we starting a bit late due to Daylight saving time for some members

twitch.tv/neko_whippet

Enjoy the music till we start

BG Level

Stream down temporarly people taking forever to log

BG Level

Sorry for the wait stream back up

Let the laughing and failing begins

BG Level

Thanks for the tips for those who came, learned more about the run, let's hope the rest of the PT also did

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jahaudant Rivea
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Out of curiosity what were the perceived problems with your strat/group, and what were the tips people gave you?

BG Level

Didn't got much tip that helped the party they mostly helped me as a WHM

Static didnt wanted to listen much and kept yelling so

Hey all, I have a question regarding Turn 4.

Our grp runs with the following setup:

PLD-PLD-WHM-SCH-BRD-BRD-DRG-BLM, all members are relatively geared (Full DL, some AF2, Relic+1).

We are having trouble getting the DN down on phase3. There is normally 1 Knight/Soldier up prior to the DN dropping in and this is usually at full HP, which causes a delay on the burn of the DN. We get the DN down to about 30% or so before the next phase.

I've read that a tactic used is that people have all 4 DPS focus the MT knight, then physical DPS swap to the OT knight while the BLM drops MT soldier, then all jump on the MT soldier once the OT knight is down, then all 4 DPS finally drop the OT soldier.

We are yet to try this setup but can see how it would work.

I have also read that people have had success with 4 physical DPS which, along with the posts in this thread, leads me to believe that this is not an issue with our composition but more so the kill order/tactic used.

Should we have our bards stagger cooldowns to allow the Knights+Soldiers to die quicker, or save everything for the DN?

Does anyone have any other recommendations for this setup so we can have all available options ready for more attempts this weekend?

Thanks in advance.

This is what my group does (DRG, MNK, BLM, BRD):

The drg, mnk, and blm start burning the DN while the brd starts on a knight. When the bard gets the knight down to 50% they hard switch to the DN and all 4 DD burn it down until the next wave. When the next wave pops the DN will be at about 15% which the monk kills with a LB. All DD switch to the rook and burn it down asap. Then the mnk and drg switch to the last DN, the BRD finishes off the last two knights and the blm burns down the last two soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by pohibaba View Post
    This is what my group does (DRG, MNK, BLM, BRD):

The drg, mnk, and blm start burning the DN while the brd starts on a knight. When the bard gets the knight down to 50% they hard switch to the DN and all 4 DD burn it down until the next wave. When the next wave pops the DN will be at about 15% which the monk kills with a LB. All DD switch to the rook and burn it down asap. Then the mnk and drg switch to the last DN, the BRD finishes off the last two knights and the blm burns down the last two soldiers.
    Thanks for the response.

What do you guys do on the first spawns of knights and soldiers? The 2 and 2 before the first DN spawns? How do you split the DPS?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast