+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Late, but I've never bought the conspiracy theory that the AH is linked to drop rates, either. The sheer number of checks the game would go through every time an item drops just seems like a monumental waste of overhead between the actual play server and the AH. "But it only checks on rare or higher!" There's still a check going on at the base level before even querying the AH were that the case. And then you have to somehow justify a stat weight where the game arbitrarily decides, "Well, we have 100 DEX/Crit%/CD%/ASPD gloves up, don't roll that!" I'd be far more inclined to believe Blizz would just buy these items from people with administrative accounts and deleting them from the game to preserve value. Of course, you can't really do that with the RMAH unless they selectively took a hit on those who opted for Blizz bucks.

No, drop rates sucked because you had numerous affixes for a given slot, and each time you rolled one you wanted, getting that second, third, fourth, and so on just becomes all that more computationally difficult. In FFXI terms, think of it like the reality of landing all 8 hits of Asuran Fists at capped ACC... but now x times worse. Tweaking drops to be class specific will help some here. Narrowing the affix roll range will also cut down on garbage rolls. You have no guarantee of a trifecta, of course, unless it's pre-built into something like a set/legendary. And honestly, we have no idea if the game weighted certain mods to roll more often, which can also suck up potential.

It's easy to say there's no proof Blizz isn't doing it, but there's also no proof they are. To me, they didn't need to. Loot conditions were winning lotto-like as is.

Ridill
    BG Level

I don't think anybody with a brain is saying anything of the sort.

The point is that the drop rates were retarded because that increases ah profits.

Items that sell for over the AH cap now will still sell for over the AH cap later unless new items negate their worth. If anything, you can expect shit to be more "expensive" by default with the ease of moving goods between players removed and once more back to the archaic days of channel spamming or hoping a forum posting catches someone's eye. As well, I was pretty much someone who was DH only, just having other classes leveled for achievement purposes. If I found a good WD item, I'd really have no clue what it's worth (or even mistake good item for a bad one). I could try, in good faith, to ask around, but you'll never get a straight answer. This is one of those reasons why I wanted sales histories appended to items that you could view at the AH or in-game. Pair that with resale cooldowns based on how much something actually sold for and if you spot someone trying to flip, it becomes more of a choice as to whether or not you want to entertain their shady market manipulation. Things like this are what I'm getting at in saying that instead of trying to address the issues with the AH, Blizz is just canning it. Remove the RMAH, sure, but let's not pretend there won't be a third-party market value on gold or the next SoJ-type item.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

From the standpoint of the "absolute best gearset" possible - trading will more than likely be necessary. Sites like JSP, tradechats and other trade meiums will flourish...however being able to find your own upgrades, reforge them (so perhaps you dont need the best item from someone else) and self-targeted loot will all diminish the value of the AH for lower end items. More often than not, "godly" items were already being traded on sites rather than the AH to avoid the 15% cut. I mean really, who wants to lose 3 billion gold selling a 20 billion gold weapon on the AH? Nobody.

wonder how much they will lower the cost of making the higher tier gems

Not enough, I suspect. Gold generation simply by playing couldn't fund gem production modestly after a point. Though I also blame gem tier drop rates being cut off perhaps too low.