+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Diablo III Auction House Update (AH Shutdown March 18, 2014)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10974978/
    When we initially designed and implemented the auction houses, the driving goal was to provide a convenient and secure system for trades. But as we've mentioned on different occasions, it became increasingly clear that despite the benefits of the AH system and the fact that many players around the world use it, it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot. With that in mind, we want to let everyone know that we've decided to remove the gold and real-money auction house system from Diablo III.
    We feel that this move along with the Loot 2.0 system being developed concurrently with Reaper of Souls™ will result in a much more rewarding game experience for our players.
    We're working out the details of how the auction house system will be shut down, but we wanted to share the news as soon as we made the decision in order to give everyone as much advance notice as possible. Please note that the shutdown will occur on March 18, 2014. We will keep everyone informed as we work through this process.
    Josh Mosqueira and I wanted to provide everyone with a little more information behind this decision, so please have a look at the video, and stay tuned to this site for further updates in the months ahead.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

holy shit

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Hahaha how the hell do you even implement this (mechanically; I agree with the change from a philosophical standpoint)? Man the official forums are going to be a disaster when this hits. I would keep Gems / Tomes / etc. on the AH, but remove gear. It's going to be a pain to have to figure out a bartering system for Brims and whatnot.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Can someone explain to a none player why this happened and why this is a big deal? Or link me to some literature. Very interested/curious on the decision/background to this from an indepth perspective.

(besides the market playing/flooding/spamming/RMT related reasons)

Plus, aside from items giving different/random (Somewhat) stats, I was under the impression the items weren't all that interesting? i.e. it won't make you perform cool shit, just more dps/armor/etc

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

ill give it a shot in D2 , you farmed gear and traded and got crazy loot, in d3 you farmed gold and went to the AH and bought gear or payed rl money for gear etc and were generally so pimped out almost nothing that dropped in game was worth a damn.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Can someone explain to a none player why this happened and why this is a big deal? Or link me to some literature. Very interested/curious on the decision/background to this from an indepth perspective.

(besides the market playing/flooding/spamming/RMT related reasons)

Plus, aside from items giving different/random (Somewhat) stats, I was under the impression the items weren't all that interesting? i.e. it won't make you perform cool shit, just more dps/armor/etc
    In short, the AH system in Diablo III undermined arguably the most major principle of Diablo: it's a god damn lootfest. You're meant to be killing shit and slaughtering bosses and feeling awesome when you get some amazing legendary crossbow to drop, or go onto a community forum and start negotiating big trades... shouldn't be able to play the AH or whip out your credit card to buy everything you want by clicking the "Auction House" button.

The whole AH system really made the loot system itself suffer, too. Whether Blizzard denies it or not (I haven't read much about it since the first month or so of release), they tailored the game and the way loot drops specifically toward making the AH flourish. They either wanted more money from the microtransactions (which sometimes weren't so micro), or they wanted to make the game "more accessible", or... who knows. At the end of the day, this is the best change they could have ever done to make Diablo III a true successor to its lineage, and I'll probably end up giving it, and its expansion, another chance in March.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Holy heck this is huge.

I'm also curious about what this means for the gold costs for the enchantress, and if they're going to make any changes to the current craft system. The Demonic Essence crafting was a good idea to get people away from the AH, but the gold cost was high enough that you needed to sell stuff on the AH to afford to craft in batches. Wonder if the enchantress will have a higher resources/lower gold cost. I'd hope they'd lower the gold costs on DE crafting, but I think their ideas with Loot 2.0 and smart drops are trying to move away from that system altogether, since they've yet to mention anything about DE crafting in RoS.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Thanks for the explanations Gokku, Prothescar. I see your point and understand. I can imagine there being some quite epic trades on the forum.

Just also looked through the legendary thread, the items are quite interesting afterall and not as bland as I originally saw it (the earlier pages).

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The Loot 2.0 system is supposed to make Legendaries actually build changing. Finding a crossbow with +electric damage and +stun means using Bola is in your best interest or finding the item on your Demon Hunter means +DEX is automatically rolled. This should roll out the same time that AH leaves.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Just saw this in my mail. Can't believe it. New director is actually fixing shit that the dimwit before him screwed up. Looks like I'll be returning to Sanctuary with the expac.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

I think its great they've done this, after looking at how loot is working on the console systems. I came back to the game after ROS got announced, after quitting about 3 months after the game came out (before the legendaries were getting buffed up) Games been really fun to get back into, I really like MP levels etc, but it's just been such a drag to go through probably 100+ hours, and only get 2 items worth a damn...neither of which I could use. I'm really happy the game is heading in the direction its going

Teamkiller of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

At long last, the evil taint of Jay Wilson was banished from Sanctuary for good.

I feel like it's a bad idea just because I fucking hated playing the trading game in D2 where nobody wanted my shit. As a result, I couldn't get better shit because lol@SoJs dropping legitimately.

Seems like this move will essentially make gold useless like it was in D2, too. Overall, instead of addressing the curse of flippers and getting a hold on botting, they decide to just axe the system. I hold severe judgment toward the new loot system because if it's still a bunch of no good drops, now I don't even have the AH to look at for upgrades. So, be careful what you wish for, guys, especially with a new level cap and potentially new builds, breakpoints, or diminishing returns on things making it a fucking impossibility to do certain things with your character(s).

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Holy shit.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

Arus, if its anywhere near as good as "loot 1.5" consoles have I'd be happy enough. Luckily it's supposedly even better

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

nice

Although I am worried about commodities; they haven't balanced materials very well so far, and it's been handy to go to the AH for tomes/gems. But even if commodities are a bit of an issue, removing the AHs will be a great step.

New Odin
    BG Level

Welcome to Diablo 180 next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    nice

Although I am worried about commodities; they haven't balanced materials very well so far, and it's been handy to go to the AH for tomes/gems. But even if commodities are a bit of an issue, removing the AHs will be a great step.
    This. And I am glad I have a nearly complete set of leveling gear, though the AH will still be missed for those gaps where I used to just grab something for 5-10k for a few levels.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I'm still too burned to feel all that happy about this. Are they going to increase loot drops since they purposely nerfed drops across the board in order to make people more desperate to buy shit off the AH and collect their fees in addition to box sub prices? Are they going to take the steps needed to bring the PC version in line with the vastly superior console version?

I'm not going to pay for another beta test. Blizzard pulled some shit with D3 that I would have expected some shady Korean Grinder company to pull, or even EA. Its going to take more concrete changes and evidence to get any of my cash, let alone shit like actual randomized dungeons, a decent plot this time, among other things.

Are they going to increase loot drops since they purposely nerfed drops across the board in order to make people more desperate to buy shit off the AH and collect their fees in addition to box sub prices? Are they going to take the steps needed to bring the PC version in line with the vastly superior console version?
    The console version is "vastly superior" only because it was the beneficiary of a full 18 months of iteration plus wonderful live telemetry from the PC version. I would expect a lot of the enhancements to make it into RoS.

Oh, and they didn't purposely nerf drops to drive people to the AH. That's just some truther-esque conspiracy bullshit, believed only by fools.