1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 34 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 25 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 14 hours, 34 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 19 hours, 25 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 225 of 227 FirstFirst ... 175 215 223 224 225 226 227 LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well, I understand where both sides are coming from.

1. The tank is unfamiliar with pulling big and therefore have no confidence in his ability to survive a big pack. Meaning he'll forget to use CDs, or in a panic, stand in bad and just drop dead.
    2. You and the healer know that Snowcloak is basically a "Pull all the things" dungeon.

The first big pack is actually not that bad. Very little AOEs to worry about. It's the second big pack when you get back outside that is annoying as all hell to manage with those all those AOEs + frost debuff. I don't think that tank would be ready for that and probably take a 30min penalty on you anyway.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Pulling Big/Using cooldowns/Dodging AOE's is standard competency for tanks - you should be expected to know how to do it by level 50.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    Pulling Big/Using cooldowns/Dodging AOE's is standard competency for tanks - you should be expected to know how to do it by level 50.
    Too bad you can go into 3.5 content (level 60) and see people who still don't know shit the game literally teaches you by the 20s as you can't even proceed beyond certain story quests without doing the 'tutorials'..then again PoTD and yoshi trying to "avoid walling players from content" seem to be a big reason we get people like that.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Too bad you can go into 3.5 content (level 60) and see people who still don't know shit the game literally teaches you by the 20s as you can't even proceed beyond certain story quests without doing the 'tutorials'..then again PoTD and yoshi trying to "avoid walling players from content" seem to be a big reason we get people like that.
    I've been levelling an alt and i've just got it to current endgame. I had a PLD who refused to pull more than 1 group of mobs, refused to use flash saying he didn't need to use it (meanwhile I was pulling mobs on my BLM and getting killed/requiring a bunch of healing from the healer).

Its just lazyness. I can probably count on one hand the amount of dungeons i've tanked and I can still pull pretty much everything in sight when we've got AOE classes to burn them down. Its not hard at all.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Just to clarify, I don't think myself or the healer wanted a "pull every single mob accessible and burn them down" kind of speed run. But getting 2, maybe 3 packs of mobs at a time sort of run. Like that first hill when you start Snowcloak has 5 mobs in 2 packs. I don't think it's unreasonable to gather them all up and kill them. And then the second room before the locked door has 2 sets of 3 dogs plus the polar bear. And again, those 7 mobs together isn't really unreasonable either. I mean, I could justify the sensitivity of the tank if I ran ahead and got EVERY mob available but that wasn't the case at all.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

From a healer's perspective, it can even be wasteful to pull small groups of mobs, especially at higher levels.
    If my party has dps who can AoE stuff down, there's no reason I should synastry+bubble+helios+a.helios+ time dilation+ card+ celestial opposition the tank for a pack of 2 or 3 mobs, but if he pulls a huge group of them then I can do that and help AoE stuff down because after that I don't need to touch him for a good 20 secs. Plus, it should take long enough to destroy a large pack of mobs that my CDs will be up again for the next one (or every other pack).

However, if you don't have good AoE dps, then small packs is definitely the way to go. But many tanks don't really understand this, or don't trust their healers (often with good reason - the number of retards I've met since coming back who don't know what regen is is over 9000). What's saddest about it, I think, is when people don't have any faith in their own abilities and let that drag them and their party down.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

obviously intro tanks or healers don't apply, because pulling beyond what either is capable of is asinine, but as I said earlier healer DPS is strong enough itself to warrant most large pulls. Having DPS that can take advantage of it is just icing

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The problem in this game, that even I'm guilty of, is people expecting others to play or think similar to them. This is why there is such a big divide between casual and 'hardcore' players.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

People who play well don't necessarily expect others to play well, but like to hold others to the same standard regardless of expectation. "If I can do it, so can you". It's honestly a pretty high bar to set for a bunch of random people on the internet, most of who are just trying to relax and have fun and not worry about how high their dps is or how efficiently they're using their skills. The problem comes in when people treat it like any other form of passive relaxing entertainment and don't respect the fact that it's a game that requires active, at least semi-skillful participation. Inevitably, the people who are treating the game the way it should be treated and being good are dragged down and not rewarded for their efforts by the people who treat it like "eh, whatever" and get carried. It's not fair, but life rarely is. Just gotta soldier on, try to teach people to be better if they're doing something wrong, and take pride in your own skills and efforts because that's the only damn reward you're gonna get for being one of the good players.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jahaudant Rivea
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    take pride in your own skills and efforts
    As long as you don't take pride publicly, in which case you risk getting reported for harassment and/or banned from OF.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Jahaudant View Post
    As long as you don't take pride publicly, in which case you risk getting reported for harassment and/or banned from OF.
    Shit, I said word for word what yoshida said about how he had to carry/"teach" other BLMs he get paired with at times and I got a temp ban because someone got butthurt over it lol. Yet I only post on JP OF with my main account and have yet to get a ban.

Dragoon Enthusiast
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dathus Tomar
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    People who play well don't necessarily expect others to play well, but like to hold others to the same standard regardless of expectation.
    Anytime I do anything on XIV my mentality is "everyone is bad except me". That way, they either meet my expectations and I can continue to hate people, or they prove me wrong and I get excited about people not being shit.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Dathus View Post
    Anytime I do anything on XIV my mentality is "everyone is bad except me". That way, they either meet my expectations and I can continue to hate people, or they prove me wrong and I get excited about people not being shit.
    Yeah... The community of FFXIV will always find a way to surprise you... and not in a good way.

Dragoon Enthusiast
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dathus Tomar
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Yeah... The community of FFXIV will always find a way to surprise you... and not in a good way.
    This is actually really fair. My favourite being DPS on A12Normal not getting into the ball area, and me having to take out 2 adds myself. "Oh, x person got in before me" Bitch, move!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Dathus View Post
    This is actually really fair. My favourite being DPS on A12Normal not getting into the ball area, and me having to take out 2 adds myself. "Oh, x person got in before me" Bitch, move!
    I was shocked to have a tank offer to go in for me last week. The next run I had a group that had people refuse to go in or stack for stasis.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

It never fails - when they unlock drops, the dumbest of the bunch starts going into the content lol.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I was shocked to have a tank offer to go in for me last week. The next run I had a group that had people refuse to go in or stack for stasis.
    I've done Qarn more than a few times recently as my tanks are in the upper 30s now, it is amazing how many dps don't kill the beam-type adds and don't go in the square with the add that gets locked from outside interference. I never knew until a week or 2 ago what happens when you don't kill the add in those boxes.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect View Post
    I've done Qarn more than a few times recently as my tanks are in the upper 30s now, it is amazing how many dps don't kill the beam-type adds and don't go in the square with the add that gets locked from outside interference. I never knew until a week or 2 ago what happens when you don't kill the add in those boxes.
    What happens?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Verge Pulse: Room-wide AOE damage on everyone.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

My biggest pet peeve right now and I keep seeing it over and over and over. I have complained about this at least twice here already but I need to do it again. White mages. Why I gotta drop cleric to cure people because you were too dumb and lazy to throw a medica2 on the party at the start of the fight? Why do I have to switch to Diurnal sect because you don't know what regen even IS, much less how to use it? I see diurnal ASTs do this too. They wait for people to get hurt, then they cast medica/helios/cure3. No regens up at all. They don't understand whatsoever that regen is your best friend. It's free healing over time, my god. Set it and forget it. Why would you not use that?!

Oh, and to keep this relatively on topic. The last qarn I did (thanks, Mentor roulette) no one bothered to go into the black squares either. I had to kill them as healer. :<