FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Dragon Quest I - VIII (Android/iOS)

Square Enix is bringing the Dragon Quest series to smartphones in a big way. Dragon Quest I all the way through to the PlayStation 2 game Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King are coming to iOS and Android.

A teaser site confirms eight core Dragon Quest games, but it’s unclear which versions we’ll see for smartphones. Dragon Quest VII was recently remade for Nintendo 3DS. Dragon Quest IV – VI had DS remakes too. Dragon Quest III, originally a Famicom game, was ported to Super Famicom and later Game Boy Color. Square Enix has a lot of options here!

Dragon Quest will slime its way to iOS and Android this winter.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/07...android-ports/
    http://www.jp.square-enix.com/dqsp/

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kellen Amarian
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Hell yeah!

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The Dragon Quest fan in me is excited for this, but the rational part of my brain is going "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, I DON'T WANT TO PAY FOR ALL THESE AGAIN!" Then after another my minute my brain realizes that SE doesn't give a shit about DQ outside of Japan so there will likely never be a non-Japanese release for these.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

why you no VC WII U it! i
    d pay 5,99-9,99 for some of these :/

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I think I'd gradually go insane if I try to play through VIII on a damn phone (or tablet, w/e).

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Haha people think these will be localized...

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Haha people think these will be localized...
    They've already have the translations and everything and these games are just going to be straight ports with reworked controls and UI. At least on the smartphone front SE has been fantastic with JP/NA releases for FF games. That doesn't mean they will release them on the appstore here but its highly likely since SE loves smartphone money so much.

Betting from how they show DQ8 in portrait they're going to use the DS ports of DQ4-6.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

They'd need to re-QA everything because the UI would be an extremely different scale for most of the games. I'm not sure if SE would be willing to reinvest the obvious cash grab this represents in Japan for territories where they get 1/8 to 1/4 of their domestic returns. I mean, the odds are better than Yakuza 5, but the localization work wouldn't be trivial.

And I wouldn't call their RPG Maker rerelease of FFV for mobiles as 'fantastic.'

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

They seriously need to give more thought into the controls, because if these end up being anything like FF5, that's just going to be depressing.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

DQVIII will be in "Tall Screen Mode" with PS2 graphics
    Square Enix is bringing the Dragon Quest library to smartphones starting with the original Dragon Quest all the way to Dragon Quest VIII. The iOS and Android version is actually the first port of Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King and this version uses the same graphics as the PlayStation 2 release.

The big difference is Dragon Quest VIII for smartphones is in "tall screen" mode. It appears players use a virtual analog stick to walk around the world. In battle, Dragon Quest VIII feels more like earlier Dragon Quest games since the monster models are tiny compared to the size of the menu.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/10...l-screen-mode/

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Do not want. That looks horrible, especially compared with how nice VIII looks on pcsx2

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Would care so much more if I could play DQVIII on my vita. Love that game, but I still hate phone controls.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

That guy's hang nail/cuticle/skin is driving me insane.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Framerate's a mess but the presentation isn't that bad otherwise. Would wanna see what DQ I-VII look like though.

Yeah, I'm coming to dislike touchscreen gaming, too. I have an XPERIA Play as my android phone, but the slide out control honestly feels worse than an NES controller due to being thinner overall. And as is, the phone runs into RAM/performance issues. Minus points for the firmware apparently being abandoned, so dunno if things could've been improved there or not. Oh well. If I truly feel compelled to play a game, I try it on the Samsung tablet I have, instead.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Shame they used such a shitty phone to demo that but otherwise its looks good. It sucks they didn't want to widescreen it but hey you can play with 1 hand and fap to Jessica's tits with the other easily. That's a huge +.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Dragon Quest smartphone comes preloaded with DQVIII & Dragon Quest: Anytime’s Ok For A Dice Adventure

Spoiler: show
    Yep, a real, bona fide phone. And one packed to the gills with Dragon Quest in it. As previously reported, NTT Docomo, in collaboration with Sharp and Square Enix, are releasing a special edition of Sharp’s Aquos SH-01F Android phone with Dragon Quest branding.

The “Metal Slime” version (because everyone knows it’s the most important monster to find) is a fully enabled smartphone that also comes with extra stuff. Inside, pre-installed, will be Dragon Quest VIII—yes, the full version of the game—and a new smartphone-only Dragon Quesst game called Dragon Quest: Anytime’s Ok For A Dice Adventure.

Anytime’s Ok for A Dice Adventure acts as a special overall program for the phone, checking how much you’ve walked around with it or used your phone and then rewarding players with more dice rolls. This lets you progress along the map to fight classic DQ guys like Blue Slimes. The game’s mini-medals will also unlock what look like icons of characters from other Dragon Quest games such as VII and X.

Everything is done with the theme in mind too; the box it comes in is a treasure chest, while the manual a lovingly crafted book that also doubles as a bit of an art book if we’re any judge – even replicating the look and feel of an old tome.

If you lust after this phone, you better figure out a way to find someone looking to recontract their phone line in Japan as they usually only sells phones together with contract plans. It’ll be available from the 7th of December.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/21...ded-two-weeks/

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I was hoping for the bump to be that this was coming to the states on vita/3ds. I love Dragon Quest so much.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Framerate's a mess but the presentation isn't that bad otherwise. Would wanna see what DQ I-VII look like though.
    Probably safe to assume DQ4-6 would just be the DS versions, since those were already running in a 'tall screen' mode. DQ7 is out on 3ds, so it'd likely just be that version adapted. No clue about the original 3 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
    I was hoping for the bump to be that this was coming to the states on vita/3ds. I love Dragon Quest so much.
    I just want 7/8 NA release, be it 3ds or Vita, don't care. Them be some meaty JRPGs.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I will always regret not picking up 7 when I saw it years ago sitting on an EBGames shelf lol. I went with SMT: DDS instead since it was newer and the art style just hooked me instantly.

As far as 8 goes, Do you remember how they had that website where you put in your address and they sent you a demo of it? I must have had like 8 shipped to my house. I even planned how I was going to get that special edition squishy slime controller lol. Unfortunately, I was like 13/14 and no money or any sort of holiday was close enough to justify asking for it.