1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 36 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 23 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 14 hours, 36 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 19 hours, 23 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Another exploit - Wholly Unsecured Database

As this is starting to gain traction(finally) on the official boards (and with apologies to Kincard, who posted this in Random complaints first - credit where its due) maybe they will do something about it rather than delete all the threads to make it go away. I felt this was just tooooooo crazy to leave be, so I created this thread.

Anyone remember that photo of the guy dinging through like 30 levels within a two minute time-stamp?

It's no photoshop - Details and more inside:

Spoiler: show

Your thoughts?

EDIT - this should go without saying, but investigating this yourself is super risky, against the TOS, will get you banned, etc. Be careful

A japanese blog reported the exploit here
    http://jacklog.doorblog.jp/archives/33776800.html

Please no...

New Odin
    BG Level

I'm amazed that the RMT haven't ruined the economy already if this is the case LOL.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Why didn't SE employ hackers in beta to try find exploits like this? This will be a disaster for them if news gets out to the major gaming websites.

Well, they just deleted the 8 page thread on the main boards - again - so who knows what they're doing about it.

I thought it was a programming basic to not trust the client

New Odin
    BG Level

Sounds like somebodys about the get his ass kicked sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    Sounds like somebodys about the get his ass kicked sometime soon.
    Maybe maybe not. Apparently some players on Chocobo server have known about this for a while and reported it.

Weeks ago.

To date there's no official response, and SE is deleting all related threads wherever they can control them. That said, it's on facebook now.

New Odin
    BG Level

lol so much time to ruin the whole game's economy, why hasn't the RMT acted on this?

Sounds like they have, from some random guy on the boards

From the RMT spam on Balmung in just this past hour, the prices are down from last week. Last week was 36 bucks, today they are saying the same amount is 15. Your server could be different.
    It's probably also what enables the botters to exploit the game - no server-side validation on anything sent by a client.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anton View Post
    Maybe maybe not. Apparently some players on Chocobo server have known about this for a while and reported it.

Weeks ago.

To date there's no official response, and SE is deleting all related threads wherever they can control them. That said, it's on facebook now.
    I know at least 5 people who have been using this exploit and openly giving gil to their friends. None of them have been banned

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

SE should be shutting down the game for as long as it takes until they fix this and compensating people for the lost subscription time. It's that serious.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I've been waiting awhile to comment on this because I wanted to see more information first, but it looks like this is actually a real thing.

But overall, this is quite disappointing that something like this exists. The fact that SE can't detect reliably detect this just screams incompetence. If it weren't for the fact that I'm set on playing this game for years, I'd start doing this myself if it's so easy to get away with it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So far the bug report is still up on the bug report forum, people are whining about the reporter making it public.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Hopefully this will be addressed here

In addition to the above adjustments we will also be fixing a number of bugs.
    because this is ridiculous.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I hope they have some sort of way to track the people who have been doing this, because I would like to avoid a huge fucking roll back.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Oh man, that is depressing. I sure hope nobody on my server knows how to do this because it could very quickly snowball into a complete disaster. SE really should shut down the service while they sort this out.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anton View Post
    Sounds like they have, from some random guy on the boards

It's probably also what enables the botters to exploit the game - no server-side validation on anything sent by a client.
    Eh, that seems like its due to normal means of filling up your stash of gil. With this exploit the RMT could invalidate SE's previous RMT efforts almost instantly but that hasn't happened (yet).

I dare SE to do a rollback, everyone would quit instantly... I'd rather have the people get away with this if the economy isn't ruined otherwise.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I thought it was a programming basic to not trust the client
    SOP is trust but verify. clearly no fucks about verification were given

if it becomes common knowledge and goes unchecked this is a game ending exploit

i'd love to test it to see what i can actually do, but it looks like someone has already done that and im not getting fucking banned for being an idiot.

Banned.

BG Level

If its on BG you can be sure its common knowledge.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

welp, game over man, game over.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast