1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 40 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 19 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 20 hours, 40 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 13 hours, 19 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 LastLast

The name of the skill is quite apt tbh.

You'd use it when you need a big heal but have no stacks for Lustrate or Indom.

I spoilered the replies to all the great answers I got from people. Thank you so much for the advice! I clearly have much to learn!

/cry /mdance

Spoiler: show

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    It means you can't use it with any other action done by you that targets an area on the ground rather than a specific target. These are not the same as your usual AOE attacks. Miasma II, Bane, and any other AOE you can think of is completely unaffected by your use of Shadowflare.

Actions that meet this "area-creating action" criteria:
    Flaming Arrow
    Shadowflare
    Sacred Soil
    that new WHM bubble
    a few PvP actions

"Why does it say that when I, as a SMN, don't have any other area-creating actions?"
    Because Scholar does. That text is there to tell you that you can't have both Sacred Soil and Shadowflare up at the same time.

"Titan's Enkindle is an area-creating action. Does that mean these can't be used together?"
    No. Titan's area is tied to titan, not you, so you can have both it and Shadowflare up at once.

I don't SMN enough to give a qualified response on the Contagion question (I'm lv57), but I follow two rules:
    1) Am I going to Bane soon and it's up? Use contagion, then Bane once the effect is applied.
    2) Am I fighting a single-target? Use contagion whenever all DoTs are up (note: Contagion does work on the Miasma II effect as well!).
    Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    The only thing shadow flare conflicts with is Sacred Soil for SCH, it has nothing to do with normal AoEs, only placed ground effects.

It always worked like that it just wasn't originally specified in the tooltip.

@Raldo and Niiro
    Thank you for the very detailed meaning of "area creating"! I did also wonder about what info applies to pet vs both pet and/ or only the master so thank you for that too.

I just dinged 59 and was 58 when I posted the original question here so I am pretty sure the only new stuff has been attribute points but I will double check actions and traits just in case.

Never leveled this fast before, its a bit mind blurring for my normal slow pace but Heavensward forced my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Clash Perez View Post
    Contagion is best used when your DoTs were cast with Raging Strikes up, and/or just before using Bane to spread DoTs. The Contagion cooldown is short enough that you can use it between Raging Strikes too, so try to fit it in somewhere, when you'll have enough time for it to be off cooldown for the next Raging set of DoTs.

Like it was mentioned above, Miasma II is affected by Contagion as well, which makes it a slight DPS gain on single target if you use it in concert. The DPS gain is small enough that it's not a big deal to skip it, particularly if you're not already close to melee range.
    Thank you for your help Clash Perez, I clearly need to find out where to get Raging strikes, I know there are only a few sub classes I can utilize my "additional" slots from so I will check. I had no idea about Raging Strikes of course. My first guess is Monk but I will wiki.

I am confused about a couple replies here saying to use Contagion "before" the DOT's that I am applying it to.

I figured it was supposed to be afterwards because it states in the info:

"Extends duration of damage over time effects already cast by master by 15s. "

So considering it says "already cast" Contagion is always my default last thing to apply for the things it affects. Am I misreading a tooltip again? pls inform if that is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Taim Meich View Post
    Also, Tri-Disaster, Dreadwyrm Trance, and Contagion all have 1 minute cooldown (DT's cooldown is really Aetherflow's), so they align nicely and you can fit a set of extended dots with 15% extra potency every minte, in addition of the extra 20% potency you get every 3 minutes with Raging Strikes.
    There's a few guides out there regarding SMN's opener, but you idealy want a first set of unbuffed DoTs to quicly dump all your initial Aetherflow stack (and here comes the disagreements, some say 1 Fester 1 Painflare 1 Energy Drain to get into Dreadwyrm Trance fast and align with Battle Litany/Trick attack etc. better, others say it's better 2P 1F, others prefer 2F1P for the higher potency), so you can pop Dreadwyrm Trance + Raging Strikes + a new Aetherflow stack and apply in the DT window a fresh set of doubly-buffed DoTs extended with Contagion, plus one or two Festers (depends on when you last used Fester before), plus all the Ruin III's you can fit before Akh Morn. Then it's a matter of holding your Aetherflow stack usage so you can again align every minute DT+Tri-D+Contagion, adding RS to the mix every 3 minutes.

Thank you Taim Meich for your help and the opener.

Again, lol I need to get Raging Strikes but I clearly need to find out about Painflare, Dreadwyrm Trance and Akh Morn, Ruin III Tri-disaster as well and I will look it up.

I have been to the SMN guild a number of times but no new quests there so my guess is I forgot to visit Old Gridania after doing all my trials once I dinged 50 for the first time last month!

Perhaps its my being under level 60 and still doing main scenario at level 56 right now as well.

When you mentioned aligning with Trick attack and Battle Litany, are you referring to when I am in a party with the classes/jobs that use those?

Once again,
    Sorry for massive post, I like to go through every single post and make sure I got what was so kindly offered in advice!

I need to do some major research on actions and subs I can put into my "additional" slots considering I am only utilizing 3 out of the 5 given at level 58-59.

Heading to Gridania as soon as I log in!
    edit: yep Y'mhitra has a stack of quests waiting for me from level 50. So that answers a buttload of questions I just posted. Now I need to relearn my SMN rotation considering it was missing so much.

Thank you..

Go to here and review at least the SMN parts of the guide, it will probably answer most of what you are asking.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I need some insight as to what smn are doing in A1s to maintain high dps. Right not I finish the fight slightly below 900. The biggest issue I am having is dealing with stacks/trails with adds. Right now I am using tri-d + Garuda on the add and just casting ruin. Should I just Dreadwyrm and blow it up fast and get back to the boss? I keep running into issues where a stack is about to fall off and I have to waste one on the add or go into Dread.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

As long as you wait for your partner to pick up their bug (and make sure they know this is going to happen beforehand), you can bane>pain to do a pretty significant chunk of damage to Alarums.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

That is what people have told me but every time I tried it something bad happened. I think the melee I get just don't like having me do that x.x. I'll see if I can get them to agree though because it would be nice to keep tri-d for boss.

If you can get your add in place and burn it down before Resin, you should.

The only reason you wait until after Resin is if you'd need to place the AoE such that the ground effect won't be in the way of getting the add to the laser, but if you can kill it before Resin even goes off that's not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalafi View Post
    Go to here and review at least the SMN parts of the guide, it will probably answer most of what you are asking.
    Thank you!
    So I just did the quests up level 50to59 and got all of those actions I was missing, my game pad exploded!

Going to read back in this thread where I saw people posting up gamepad/macro schematics so I can get some room and just use gampad instead of gamepad, mouse and kb like I did in that last SMN instanced quest battle. I was pretty much button mashing in the last one with the attunement points but I honestly can't believe I got through it on the first try. Started out with Garuda and quickly switched to Titan to finish the entire battle.

yay off to the lv 60 training dummy I go!

Edit: wholly hell this guide you linked is amazing!

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

That guide is great. I personally disagree or have at least doubts on a few things there, but for someone starting, it's absolutely amazing and reaaaaally in depth.

Regarding the cross-hotbar issues, I'd help you, but I use a mix of gamepad and keyboard (keyboard only for some lesser used actions, but still there) and you seem to only want to use gamepad. Also, I took a break from playing so I can't even take a screenshot of my setup, haha.

Well, the author does state that most of what he writes is theoretical and ultimately that shit is situational; use your head to make sure your contributing to a raid the best you can.

That guide is great. I personally disagree or have at least doubts on a few things there, but for someone starting, it's absolutely amazing and reaaaaally in depth.

Regarding the cross-hotbar issues, I'd help you, but I use a mix of gamepad and keyboard (keyboard only for some lesser used actions, but still there) and you seem to only want to use gamepad. Also, I took a break from playing so I can't even take a screenshot of my setup, haha.
    Its cool, I still use keyboard, mouse and gamepad it is just ultimately my dream to use only gamepad so considering that is what I do now, I'd love to hear what you have to say if you feel ok doing so.

I panic and default to keyboard n mouse all the time, The biggest issue I have with the gamepad is being able to switch pages on the fly. I lock up and find myself on the wrong page when I try to do it under pressure so it is a matter of getting muscle memory of switching those pages.

As for the guide being iffy on some things, right now I am so overwhelmed with getting this many new actions in one day, any advice helps just to get me a slight grasp of the new order to use my spells for SMN.

Outside of me being totally anal about reading instructions on the actual spells, I learn by doing. The training dummys should really work out and then I will take a break from questing to practice on some mobs my level.

So I started picking up Scholar again since like 2.0 released. Do people not use Mouse Over Macros for FF14 Healing? Is there a reason why? The only healing I have ever done in an MMO has been in WoW where if you don't use mouse over you are 99% of the time doing it wrong.

Online Dating DOES Work!!
    Sonic Ripoff of the Houe of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hiryo Randgris
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

For most people, the main issue with macros in FFXIV is the ability queue. As the GCD is coming up, your next weaponskill/spell is in-line to be used immediately when available. Macros don't seem to function the same way and may screw up your timing. Besides that, if it works for you and you actually have macro space, then sure.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by MrSamuels View Post
    So I started picking up Scholar again since like 2.0 released. Do people not use Mouse Over Macros for FF14 Healing? Is there a reason why? The only healing I have ever done in an MMO has been in WoW where if you don't use mouse over you are 99% of the time doing it wrong.
    My static WHM partner only uses mouse over macros while I don't except for Embrace which lets me target 2 people simultaneously, and Leeches. I don't think there's anything wrong with using mouse over macros except this game can be super finicky with macros not firing unless you insist when your latency is bad enough and I'd rather not risk it. But that's personal choice.

There's also the spells not queuing when you macro them. While it's not as important as a healer because you're rarely chaining cures, there are times where you do want to chain them. I think if this game was as responsive as WoW mouse over macros would probably be the norm, but it's far from it.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Does anyone know how bane interacts with Quelling strikes? Had some problems in A4S with the tank keeping aggro on the straff doll after baning it on leg 3.. does it act like RS where the dots are buffed after bane or?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shinryu Reishiki
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros

Quelling Strikes will still be in effect on DoTs spread by Bane as long as it was up when the DoTs were applied to the initial target. If your group is killing the Straf Dolls, though, the tank should be attacking it actively enough that Quelling Strikes would be unnecessary.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Figured it worked that way, thanks not sure what happened with the aggro only happened once or twice, should be fine next time.

does anyone else feel like SMNs place in the meta has reverted back to FCoB days? BLM destroys it in both A3 and A4 and with them buffing blm its only going to increase the single target dps gap between them. BLM even beats them out in high movement/mechanic fights like Thordan. I don't main the class anymore (did in 2.x) but its still disheartening to see they still cant figure how to make both classes viable once content is on farm. I'm sure SMN mains would gladly trade a nerfed AoE potency for better sustained single target.

Thoughts?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by sackings View Post
    does anyone else feel like SMNs place in the meta has reverted back to FCoB days? BLM destroys it in both A3 and A4 and with them buffing blm its only going to increase the single target dps gap between them. BLM even beats them out in high movement/mechanic fights like Thordan. I don't main the class anymore (did in 2.x) but its still disheartening to see they still cant figure how to make both classes viable once content is on farm. I'm sure SMN mains would gladly trade a nerfed AoE potency for better sustained single target.

Thoughts?
    The raw DPS for SMN back in FCoB was fine. The problem was the mana costs, and they did (way too late) get fixed.

If anything, SMN is like a worse version BLM back in Final Coil - for single target DPS, you want a Melee ideally (or a BLM which pulls less than Melee's but more than SMN) - but when you get AOE, they are fantastic. SMN certainly needs some love, but I think the gap between BLM and SMN is fair given SMN's AOE advantage - its just that Melee's provide higher DPS (all of them) and more DPS utility (Nin and Drg). I'd love to see SMN give some kind of Caster DPS utility - to allow groups to run two casters and not be at a significant disadvantage.

I would like to see Egi's get some of support ability that actually makes a difference. Like give Ifrit a melee dmg + ability on a 1 minute cd, and give garuda a magic based one. That way SMN isnt completely neutered if the group doesnt have a bard, and would synergize with MCH + ifrit with the melee dps. AFAIK no one uses ifrit which is another issue again like 2.X (though even 2.X saw ifrit usage in FCoB).