+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

In case you've never played KH1 over the last 10 or so years some how, here lets recap on everything and save you 20-25hrs summed up in 2 min.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I'm wondering if the series would've had the same impact if it came out this generation.

Like KH1 coming out last year and not 10 years ago

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    I'm wondering if the series would've had the same impact if it came out this generation.

Like KH1 coming out last year and not 10 years ago
    Considering the general reception of FF13, the initial reception of 14 (before ARR), and the long-ass wait for 15, if KH1 were to have come out last year (even on PS3), if it was the exact same game with just updated graphics, I honestly think it would have been a huge hit. Maybe it's the fanboy in me, but I wouldn't doubt it if people would have claimed it as the SE savior game.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

So...if I haven't played a KH since the original KH2 release, is this the game I want to catch myself up with the series? Or will I still be missing stuff?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Did you play Chain of Memories? If yes, the only thing you'd miss would be 358/2 days which isn't that much.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I only played the first half...never got to play as Rikku.

But like, am I missing something amazing from 1/2 of chain of memories and 358/2? Or can I just wiki this shit and be done with it?

I wouldn't say CoM is that critical and due to the gameplay can be very hit or miss to get through. It basically fills in the gaps between KH1 and 2 and introduces some characters you can fight in KH2FM (with a much better battle system).

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

I'd say Days is fairly important though, and it was fun to play through too. The movie verison from KH1.5 might be on Youtube or something though.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I'd say Days is fairly important though.
    Really? In what way? Delete the entire game's story from the timeline and what do we actually miss that's to be carried forward?
    BBS and DDD are the only games aside from KH2 that I'd say are must plays.

axel and roxas's bromance

BG's most likeable Québécois

BG Level

358 is worth it for the man tear's at the end

DON'T LIE TO ME!

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The bromance was strong in 358/2. Honestly, it made all of the shit Axel was doing in KH2 hit home that much harder, especially that last moment he had as a nobody.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Right. But KH2 already established they have a past were good friends. That aside, Roxas is already gone.
    I'm really not understanding how Days is supposed to be important even if you didn't actually "see" them be friends in KH2.

I'm not saying its a bad story or even that its not worth experiencing; I just think its a mostly self-contained story that doesn't really need to be told to get the whole of the bigger picture (and is unimportant for that reason.)

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It just gives the story more depth is all. Not necessarily adds anything to it (save for Xion, which who knows if she'll ever show up again), just takes what we already know and gives it more detail I suppose.

In KH2, you know Axel and Roxas are/were friends, but in 358/2, you learn how they became friends and why they became such good friends, to the point where Axel had to desperately chase after Roxas to try from losing that friendship. That's all you're missing really. And the whole deal with Roxas' memory and Namine and etc etc. Just more depth to the story, not necessarily crucial bits that you wouldn't find out otherwise.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I was extremely confused in KH2 because I skipped CoM back when it came out on PS2. I'd say that playing or at least reading/watching a recap is absolutely essential. Days not so much (and it's also a pretty bad game imo) but you can watch the cutscenes from 1.5 and still get the whole story. If you're planning to play KH3 all entries are a must though, I'm sure all the characters will show up there as DDD implies.

I think Xion was referenced once in DDD and not again, generally a self-contained episode that adds depth to a couple of characters. Actually just Axel, no one else really matters long term. CoM gives a few details on what Org. XIII are and Sora's transition into Roxas by losing his memories (and Namine is there too!).

I never played CoM until after KH2, but I don't remember suddenly being enlightened afterwards. All the shit in KH2 is explained eventually, the only difference is whether you go in blind or with a little bit of knowledge.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I went in blind to KH2, I didn't know why the fuck I was playing as Roxas until it was explained when you got through the final day when Diz talks about it. The first opening segments of KH2 you can kinda get an idea of what you missed in CoM with castle oblivion, maybe not on Riku's path but definitely on Sora's path. I've still never played through CoM but I imagine it went something like this.

Sora stumbles upon castle, enters, weird shit happens while Namine is sapping his memories, at the end he is placed in hibernation after dealing with the organizations shenanigans, and then Roxas is born into the world and is around for 1 year before Sora is nearly ready to be reawaken and then the KH2 segment starts to play out. Never played 365/2 but I imagine everything that happens from the moment Roxas is spawned and the then kicked from the Organization because ????? and ties into KH2 along side CoM.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

You're close. Roxas was created when Sora turned into a heartless in KH1. While Sora is losing his memories in CoM, Roxas starts gaining memories and personality in 358/2 (358/2's story starts when Sora turns into a heartless and continues during CoM, ending just as Sora is about to be put to sleep for a year to be restored). While this is happening, Org. 13 is prepping Xion as an empty doll duplicate thing to eventually transfer Roxas' power or memories or etc into, but the plans backfire, Namine decides to restore Sora and Roxas goes exploring for the truth (all while getting captured by Diz in some way and getting put into a fake world while Sora is restored)

If I remember correctly, Namine was supposed to help transfer Roxas' power/soul/whatever into Xion after she helps takes them from Sora, but changed her mind when Sora Power of Friendshiped her and Namine realized that Sora could only be restored if Xion was destroyed.

Roxas isn't so much kicked from Org. 13 so much as he leaves the group after he discovers that their plan is mainly to just use him to create Xion. I think another subtle plot that isn't focused too much on while this is all happening is that they're also looking for Ven's body which is hidden in Castle Oblivion

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

you only NEED to play Birth By Sleep, KH1, KH2, and DDD

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    I think another subtle plot that isn't focused too much on while this is all happening is that they're also looking for Ven's body which is hidden in Castle Oblivion
    Also note that its a separate group that's doing this, mostly. The Org had traitors in CoM and it was mostly that group of traitors that was lookin' for Ven's body but they got wiped out by Sora, Riku and Axel (who was there with them but more or less was a double agent for Xemnas).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast