Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 668 of 733 FirstFirst ... 618 658 666 667 668 669 670 678 718 ... LastLast

Thread: Dev Tracker: Discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

They posted their Freshly Picked summary but there really isn't much in it as far as I can tell. Basically they just said that certain stats like Enmity+ on the Warrior AF are reorganized so that it's gathered onto a single piece in response to people who didn't want Enmity on Warrior armor anymore. Also they're still working on making /recast displayable to other players.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Kincard View Post
    They posted their Freshly Picked summary but there really isn't much in it as far as I can tell. Basically they just said that certain stats like Enmity+ on the Warrior AF are reorganized so that it's gathered onto a single piece in response to people who didn't want Enmity on Warrior armor anymore. Also they're still working on making /recast displayable to other players.
    I'm pretty sure the "transcripts" we get are nothing more than the translations of the Japanese summary, so tons of stuff always ends up getting left out.

Can you please watch the FP and pick out the missing info? ^^;; I did my best but I know I missed a lot. The entire segment on Utu Grip's effect for instance...
    I can go back thru and grab the timestamps for what should be the important bits that I couldn't handle if that would help.

... On a sidenote, I think I might actually watch the livestream next time on Nico just so I can beg Mochizuki to stop covering his mouth while he talks @_@;; Shit getting on mah last nerve ending at this point...

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Isnt FP like a 1 hour video?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    Isnt FP like a 1 hour video?
    Seems to always be scheduled as 1hr, but also seems to always run about 1hr30min XD

If you think about it even a little bit, it's flat out impossible for something like a one page "transcript" to be much better than cliff notes of cliff notes. >_>;;

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    Seems to always be scheduled as 1hr, but also seems to always run about 1hr30min XD

If you think about it even a little bit, it's flat out impossible for something like a one page "transcript" to be much better than cliff notes of cliff notes. >_>;;
    Even better for my point
    asking someone to watch a 60-90 minute video to translate notes is a bit much.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm pretty sure the "transcripts" we get are nothing more than the translations of the Japanese summary, so tons of stuff always ends up getting left out.
    He translates the Japanese transcripts. Not much really gets missed out of those as large portions of the video are just watching and mindless chatter. If they gave a report on just actual info it would probably take 5-10 min tops. And yes the grip thing is in there

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

To be clear, the transcripts I was complaining about are the official ones that SE gives us.
    Kincard does awesome work far beyond my meager translation capabilities on a regular basis. ^^;; I am in no way insulting or downplaying his translation and am grateful for what he does since it's far more than I can handle myself.

I watch the FP videos every month in their entirety (because I understand enough Japanese that I can enjoy watching them), so I know how much of it is not much more than banter between the devs (and the Nico commenters.) I also know how much of it is definitely NOT pointless-to-translate, and there is a surprising amount of info that we probably would want to know that gets reduced to one line in the official summary or eliminated completely.

That's why I offered to give timestamps for likely-to-be relevant info that our side of the community would probably benefit from having access to. The Utu Grip thing is a good example. We had to wait til someone got one and tested it before we got an idea on how it works. The devs spent like 3-5min explaining how it works in detail during the FP though, so it's possible we are missing something that isn't going to be easily/quickly verifiable by testing. Would the non-Japanese community not benefit from knowing the same data that Japanese speakers are told directly?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I don't think Utu grip is a great example since it's in both the jp and English transcripts... we just didn't get the transcripts till a few days after the video and update was out and even more after it first aired. If you know of anything actually missed yeah it would be awesome to know that though

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Official English transcript for FP30 just went up today within the last few hours. \o/

And looks like there's a bit more detail than usual. ^^ I'm surprised that they flatout told us that the Ambuscade corse was very weak to h2h. (Though with how short the segment was this time, there wasn't much else said it seems lol)

Continuing w/ the Utu Grip example, what's in the transcript probably does not do justice to the amount of talking about it. Were the devs just yammering about "Look guys! It's a new stat! :D" or were they actually telling us what the full effects are? Is it really just adding a dex+10% WSC mod? Or is it also applying an extra dex+10% worth of acc/crit to ws as well? (I can't get that idea out of my head since I came up w/ the possibility, and if the devs already explained exactly how it works, then I wanna know XD)

And I totally missed that the weekly campaigns in Jan were "Returner Campaigns" >_>;; Does that mean I also missed notice of freeplay time? If so, sorry. orz

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

99% sure it's "just" adding to WSC

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Given the wording of applied to ws it's fairly same to assume they mean wsc. It could be worded differently on jp side but that would be in the transcripts and was translated poorly as sometimes does happen... but our guys here generally do a decent job of clearing up those things with their translations so Kincard could probably say about that.

Though in this case your idea is something completely different and a bunch of additional information would be needed to explain something as fantastical as that.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Given the wording of applied to ws it's fairly same to assume they mean wsc. It could be worded differently on jp side but that would be in the transcripts and was translated poorly as sometimes does happen... but our guys here generally do a decent job of clearing up those things with their translations so Kincard could probably say about that.

Though in this case your idea is something completely different and a bunch of additional information would be needed to explain something as fantastical as that.
    Was bugging me, so I hooked up laptop to TV > cranked up volume to hear what the spoken description was during the FP. XD

The japanese item description ingame & what was said actually does include a very important word that got excluded from the English >_>

補正 (Hosei) which translates to "correction".
    So yep, I can stop scratching my brain over this one, the precise transliterated description and effect is "Weapon Skill Correction: DEX+10%". The impreciseness of item descriptions in particular is one of the things that I'm worried about missing when I'm trying to translate.

They talked for over 20min about Omen though... I can tell they explained about the mini-objectives, the white proc indicating that the portal up has spawned, and some other stuff that we've already figured out, but there is none of this or ANY actual info about how the event or rewards function in the official summary. The last few minutes of the segment (starting ~27:30, til ~30:20) sound like they were answering a question about the midboss (might've included last boss too,) and bring up objectives, so I'm kinda hoping might be related to a post on the ffxiah Omen thread that reported a msg saying the boss was weakened by the player debuffing a trash mob.. Might just be them telling us to do our best since we can't practice easily lol orz

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

So, I'm pretty proud of myself atm. ^^ The official posting for the Jan campaigns are up on POL and looks like I only goofed in my translation once! \o/
    Not sure how "Skirmish Trigger" became "Seals and Crests" tbh.. either an oops on my part or they changed it. Looks like they added a couple AE Expos too, so if it was changed, then I didn't goof! The thing that google sez was "Alliance wins" is apparently the "Bonus Bayld" campaign?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yay only 1 week of cp campaign but 2 of lolxp

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

The concept of shorter campaigns that span more events may be more appealing. Except they built it around "get a new player geared up in 4 weeks". Not to mention, people coming back will probably have friends. They can skip the WKR's, they can skip the Skirmish, they can skip Delve. Just go straight to Reisenjima and get the top armor. And theres still the bottlenecking issue, except now it might be even more profound, since people cant "let the initial rush die off".

I'm not saying Alluvion Armor is outdated, some of it has use, but why waste time making a great Taeon set when you can make a garbage Herculean set with better stats?
    Why grab a Buramenkah when you can go straight to a Colada?
    Why go for Hagondes pieces when you can grab Merlinic?

I'm surprised they've never made a Sinister Reign campaign event either. Something simple like "all augments will have a minimum of 50% max potency" or "You can pick who you choose to battle against".

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Not everyone has a horde of friends waiting to help them as soon as they come back, some people come back and all their friends have long since quit or moved servers, and most people are selfish and aren't going to take time out of their day to help a returning player gear up by letting them leech in current content where they'll essentially be useless

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    I'm surprised they've never made a Sinister Reign campaign event either. Something simple like "all augments will have a minimum of 50% max potency" or "You can pick who you choose to battle against".
    Surprised about this myself.
    So many pieces I'd still want to get max aug on from SR /cry

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by jacobs67 View Post
    Not everyone has a horde of friends waiting to help them as soon as they come back, some people come back and all their friends have long since quit or moved servers, and most people are selfish and aren't going to take time out of their day to help a returning player gear up by letting them leech in current content where they'll essentially be useless
    It's not always an issue of being "selfish" unfortunately. Scaling makes things harder by default, which means that a would-be helper has to take into account the deadweight and extra HP they'll have to chew thru. For helpers on the borderline of being able to solo (don't severely overgear the content or only have the "wrong jobs" for soloing) that extra difficulty can sometimes be enough to be a turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    Surprised about this myself.
    So many pieces I'd still want to get max aug on from SR /cry
    I think devs would definitely cite technical difficulties preventing any sort of campaign related to randomly generated things like augs/roster for SR, but I bet one similar to Vagary's bonus reward would be doable. I wouldn't complain about getting a random bonus equip along w/ getting to choose a reward. :3

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by jacobs67 View Post
    Most of them quit again anyways thats why people usually don't bother.

Campaign
    BG Level

I think devs would definitely cite technical difficulties preventing any sort of campaign related to randomly generated things like augs/roster for SR, but I bet one similar to Vagary's bonus reward would be doable. I wouldn't complain about getting a random bonus equip along w/ getting to choose a reward. :3
    Devs would cite technical issues for anything they don't wanna do because of lack of will, lack of time, or simply because they think it wouldn't be good for the game's health but they don't wanna admit it.
    It's called "the big boss" excuse*

Considering SR augments have a fixed table I'm very confident it wouldn't be that hard to cut half the table out and increase the odds of getting perf augs.

*The Big Boss excuse is when you pretend you can't do something because of something higher than you, beyond your control. Most of the time the big boss doesn't exist, sometimes you're the big boss and are just trying to make some decision pass as if they weren't yours at all but imposed on you as well as the people you're trying to impose them to.